Ludi Piscatorii Ceremony Contest (07-09 June)

Official Ludi events occur here! Look here to participate in the ludi cultural events and competitions! For more information on ludi festivals go here: http://romanrepublic.org/bibliotheca/wiki/ludi.html

Moderators: Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Gaius Valerius Scipio, Octavius Aurelius Augustus, Titus Aurelius Apollinaris

Ludi Piscatorii Ceremony Contest (07-09 June)

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:05 pm

Salvete Omnes!

Ludi Piscatorii in honor of Tiberinus starts today. For those who are unaware, the Ludi Piscatorii is a time of celebration dedidated to Father Tiber (Tiberis Pater) and the fishermen who fished the waters of the Tiber River for food for themselves and their loved ones. The celebrations were overseen by the Praetor, just as I worked hand in hand with our esteemed Praetor Peregrinus, L. Curtius Philo, on these Ludi. All fish that were caught during these celebrations were sacrificed at Temple of Vulcan in honor of the god of fire.

In honor of these events, our Praetor Peregrinus has volunteered to host a very important aspect of this ceremony, and that is a religious one. Due to the current ongoing project of the Societas Numaea, we are asking any and all to submit an entry for this contest.

The prize for this contest will be either a paperback version of the Aeniad or 'An Introduction to Roman Religion' by John Scheid.

For this competition we ask that you design a ceremony for Vulcanus, god of fire and smithing. You may also work in mention of Tiberinus or any other river god if you so desire. The only two rules we ask that you follow are to keep it traditionally Roman (whether it be Roman or Gallo-Roman), and follow the following formula set forth by the Societas Numaea:

I. Purificatio - purification of self, offerings, altar with water

II Praefatio - address (+/- offerings of wine / incense) to Ianus and Vesta. Light any fires/burners on altar

III. Salutatio - Here Iupiter plus additional deities are invited to attend the ceremony and are greeted, this always includes the primary deities receiving an offering, but may include others as well. Here offerings of wine or incense are often made, each deity is addressed individually and receives an individual libation or offering of incense

IV. Precatio - 4 PARTS:
(I) Address the primary deity/deities being honored (offerings of wine/incense made)
(II) statement made explaining why the sacrifice is occurring
(III) present what is being offered
(IV) statement regarding the desired result(s) from the ceremony

V. Immolatio - Make the primary sacrifice to the deity/deities being honored

VI. Redditio - (Optional) Here any additional offerings to the deities invited to attend the ceremony occur

VII. Piaculum - Statements made to each deity addressed in ceremony for reparation for any unnoticed error in the ceremony. Vesta is always addressed last.

May the gods smile upon and bless everyone's efforts in this very important contest!

Di vos incolumes custodiant!

L. Aurelius Curio
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur

Re: Ludi Piscatorii Ceremony Contest (07-09 June)

Postby Gaius Florius Aetius » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:40 pm

Hmm.... I rather wait and check how you guys make rituals this time. :D
Advice is judged by results, not by intentions.

- Cicero
Gaius Florius Aetius
Apollinis Sacerdos
Apollinis Sacerdos

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:41 am

Salvete!

Due to an oversight on my part I would like to clarify the rules.

Ceremonies should be directed towards Vulcanus and may involve Tiberinus or any river God in an associated manner.

My apologies. I look forward to reading the entries!

valete.

Philo
L. CURTIUS PHILO COS. SEN.
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:03 am

Note: Announcement has been amended to reflect that the ceremony is to be to Vulcanus, with a mention of Tiberinus or any other river gods if you do desire.
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:32 am

Salvete Omnes!

Thank you to all who participated in this year's Ludi Piscatorii! The competitions are now closed and the announcers will be announced in the next few days! I hope to see you all in the Ludi Apollinares in July!

Valete!

L. Aurelius Curio
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur