Name of the Collegium

The purpose of this collegium is to establish a group for those interested in ancient philosophy and a place where philosophical discussion and study may take place. Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... sophiae/42

Moderators: Gaius Flavius Aetius, Marca Marcia, Aula Flavia Philippa, Paullus Aemilius Gallus

Name of the Collegium

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:07 pm

Salvete, amici!

I think we have to open the question of the name of the Collegium again.
From a linguistic point of view Collegium Philosophicum (Philosophical College) is just fine. However historically the legal names of collegia included the genitive plural of its professionals. In our case that would mean Collegium Philosophorum (College of Philosophers). This may sound less elegant, but would be historically correct.

What do you think is better?

Valete!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Re: Name of the Collegium

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:17 pm

I think the historical form is better
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Our Censor Iunius Brutus has just done the name change. Maybe we should leave it this way and not complicate things.
Horatia Adamas mentioned several times that she does not want to understand the Collegium as a guild of professionals like in antiquity, but rather a group of common interest. In this case Collegium Philosophicum is more fitting.
Valete!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:33 am

L. Horatia Adamas C. Florio Lupo C. Curtio Philoni omnibusque S.P.D.

As I mentioned over on the Latin collegium site, I am in Lexington, Kentucky, for an all-Latin convention, and may have some difficulty getting back on my normal ISP when and if I return.

I think one name change is enough. The Romans preferred to use the modifying adjective when possible, and eschewed the genitive. Secondly, we are not professional philosophers here; we are people interested in philosophy. Some of us might be professionals, but clearly not all of us are. Thus we don't meet even the basic requirement for that usage of the genitive. Please, let us observe the KISS principle: keep it simple, stupid (not that we are stupid, mind you…). It was hard enough to get this done; please spare us having to do it over.

BTW, I wonder whatever happened to the logical notation to which we were exposed in my required logic course: p HORSESHOE q; I don't recognize the symbols our logician, Lupus, has been using…

Valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Lucius Florius Brutus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:05 am

Salvete!

I'm a tad confused - what's the current name? The message board uses "philosophicum", but clicking the link in the Board Index gives you "philsophiae". I don't think it's all that important which we use, provided that it's gramatically acceptable, whether or not it's historically accurate, but, we shouldn't have different names in different places.

Valete
Lucius Florius Brutus

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:31 am

The name was changed to "Collegium Philosophicum". And this is how it is supposed to appear on the website. I can only see the new name here.
Maybe it helps to clear the cache of your web browser. The change was done just recently and the old version could still be in your local cache.
Vale!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:15 am

Lucia Horatia Adamas wrote:.
BTW, I wonder whatever happened to the logical notation to which we were exposed in my required logic course: p HORSESHOE q; I don't recognize the symbols our logician, Lupus, has been using…!

There are many versions of logical symbols. The horseshoe means the same as the arrow. Here is a list of symbols:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_logic_symbols
For this reason it is always necessary at the beginning to define the symbols that will be used.
Gaius Florius Lupus

Return to Collegium Philosophicum