Arcani

This Collegium is devoted to discussion, research and the contribution to the Roman Republic of Articles, pictures, drawings, military reenactment, questions, comments and all other material relating to the purpose of the Militarium (Ancient Roman Military). Collegium Website: http://militarium.romanrepublic.org/ | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... itarium/41

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Aurelius Apollinaris, Octavius Aurelius Augustus, Gaius Valerius Scipio

Arcani

Postby Lucius Florius Brutus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:44 pm

Salvete, Milites

I am an avid fan of the Total War series. While playing Rome: Total War as or against the Romans, one may come across an elite Roman unit known as the Arcani. They wear blackened armor and masks, armed in each hand with what I think are gladii. They look majestic, but impractical. The games info text describes them as a super secret unit, akin to special forces. Did the Arcani actually exist? if so, why have I never heard of them? What role did they carry out? Did they really dual wield swords?

Valete
Lucius Florius Brutus

Re: Arcani

Postby Quintus Vergilius Crassus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:59 pm

I did not want to write anything on this topic and generally work in this dead collegium until it is officially reformed to the needs of the Legion. However, I will make an exception.

Such a unit did not exist. This is the invention of the author. The Roman military divisions were well structured, and military posts were sufficiently well studied. But in them there is no mention of this kind of troops, especially with this type of weapon. This is all fiction, the same fiction, as well as units of gladiators among the linear troops regiments on the battlefield.

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:37 am

Quintus Vergilius Crassus wrote:..., the same fiction, as well as units of gladiators among the linear troops regiments on the battlefield.

Salvete!
This is not entirely true. According to Tacitus Otho had a unit composed of gladiators among his fighting forces in the Battle of Bedriacum (69 CE) during the year of the four Emperors. This was an exception though.
Valete!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Tiberia Salvia Alba » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Луп, мне кажется Вы не совсем правы, потому Красс привел привел пример, указав на применение гладиаторов как регулярного "линейного подразделения". То что вы говорите, это скорее экстраодинарный случай, чем практика.
Tiberia Salvia Alba
Quaestor
Quaestor

Return to Collegium Militarium