Legions of the Crisis

This Collegium is devoted to discussion, research and the contribution to the Roman Republic of Articles, pictures, drawings, military reenactment, questions, comments and all other material relating to the purpose of the Militarium (Ancient Roman Military). Collegium Website: http://militarium.romanrepublic.org/ | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... itarium/41

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Marca Marcia, Aula Flavia Philippa, Paullus Aemilius Gallus

Legions of the Crisis

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:26 pm

>>>> Legions of the Crisis <<<<

During the Roman Crisis of the third century, the Romans never fielded more that thirty-three legions at any one time. However, over the entire era there existed a total of thirty-six of those formations. Their designations are listed below:

>> I Adiutrix; >> II Adiutrix; >> XV Appolinaris; >> II Augusta;

>> VII Claudia; >> XI Claudia; >> III Cyrenaica; >> III Augusta;

>> VI Ferrata; >> XVI Flavia; >> X Fretensis; >> XII Fulminata;

>> III Gallica; >> VII Gemina; >> X Gemina; >> XIII Gemina;

>> XIV Gemina; >> I Illyricorum; >> I Isaura; >> II Isaura;

>> III Isaura; >> II Italica; >> IV Italica; >> V Macedonia;

>> IV Martia; >> I Minerva; >> I Parthica; >> III Parthica;

>> XX Primigenia; >> IV Sythica; >> II Triana; >> XXX Ulpia;

>> XX Valeria Victrix; >> VI Victrix; II Parthica; >> Praetorian.

The first major grouping of horse units into what amounted to all-cavalry legions also took place during the crisis. Those formations were the; Equites Dalmatae; Equites Mauri; and Equites Scutarii.

The battle kit of the classic Roman heavy infantry legionnaire was the:

>> javelin; >> rectangular shield;
>> short sword; >> helmet.

The crisis of the third century spelled the end of that Roman army and the start of its replacement by a new, heavily Germanized force, that eventually came to amount to little more than a fuedal mob.

Respectfully Submitted;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Return to Collegium Militarium