Question about a Roman helmet

This Collegium is devoted to discussion, research and the contribution to the Roman Republic of Articles, pictures, drawings, military reenactment, questions, comments and all other material relating to the purpose of the Militarium (Ancient Roman Military). Collegium Website: http://militarium.romanrepublic.org/ | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... itarium/41

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Marca Marcia, Aula Flavia Philippa, Paullus Aemilius Gallus

Question about a Roman helmet

Postby Gnaeus Iulius Caesar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:38 am

Salve,

I'm new to Roman reenacting and I've recently acquired a imperial Gallic helmet. It has no interior webbing or a way to tie the side flaps. What did the Romans wear under their helmets and how did they tie it?
Gnaeus Iulius Caesar

Re: Question about a Roman helmet

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 am

Severus sal.,

Greetings to you, Caesar. We, those who are engaged in historical reenactment, do not write in this group and do not answer here, so if in the future you have questions, then you can contact them with experienced reenactors here.

viewforum.php?f=43

However, as an exception, I will be happy to answer your question here. Unfortunately, I do not know how English denotes what is worn under a helmet, so I will use the literal in front of the Russian language: "underhelmet". Conditionally, all types of "underhelmet" can be divided into just two types, these are "sewn" "underhelmet" and "separate".

For "sewn" "underhelmet" on the helmet itself, there must be holes. Thus, the presence or absence of such holes on the dome of the helmet is a clear indicator of which type of "underhelmet" was used. Given the number of finds of Roman helmets of the Gallic imperial type, it can be provisionally said that the "sewn" "underhelmet" were not used in them. In addition, from experience, I can say that the "sewn" "underhelmet" are not very convenient, they quickly absorb sweat and dirt, then they start to smell badly, and it will take a certain time to replace such a "underhelmet".

Thus, taking into account the above, it is obvious that in the overwhelming majority, the Romans used the "separate" type of the "underhelmet". What was it like? This type of "underhelmet" is a felt cap, in the form of a hemisphere. Felt has damping properties. Particles felt are found in some excavated helmets, mention of such caps is found in literature, fine arts, in addition, it was a very common Greek practice, where, apparently, the Romans adopted this custom.

Here is an example for clarity:

I hope that the 11th Legion answered your question exhaustively, Caesar (((=

Vale!
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator
Sarmatia Magna
Sarmatia Magna
Cultus Mithrae
Cultus Mithrae
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Aula Flavia Philippa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:56 am

Flavius Severus forgot to mention. That on this cap the lower part is turned upwards. Double layer of felt has great protective properties. As a medical worker, I can say that there, in this area, there is a significant traumatic impact from the chopping blows, as the experience of contact fights shows.
Aula Flavia Philippa
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Yes, Philippa is right. It's worth mentioning that I once heard about knitted hats, but in terms of security, it abruptly fits a felt hat. The cheeks of the helmet did not have an additional gasket. So if you choose a helmet, but you need to take measurements taking into account the felt hat, so that the helmet is snug against the head, and not hanging on the head.
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator
Sarmatia Magna
Sarmatia Magna
Cultus Mithrae
Cultus Mithrae
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Aula Flavia Philippa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:25 pm

I admit that, theoretically, these caps could be made from several layers of woolen cloth, quilted among themselves. Or two quilted layers of fabric; where the wool or the tow hides in the grooves between the stitches. But these options are found at a later time. The only thing that is for certain confirmed, this is what Severus said, namely the felt cap.
Aula Flavia Philippa
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Return to Collegium Militarium