Salvete!

This collegium provides research and discussions for those interested in the evolution, development, and practice of Roman law. It examines the development of Roman law from the Twelve Tables to the Justinian Code and beyond. | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... anae%20/48

Moderators: Lucius Aurelius Curio, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Marca Marcia, Aula Flavia Philippa, Paullus Aemilius Gallus

Salvete!

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Tue May 17, 2016 4:38 am

Salvete omnes!

I'm glad that you chose to check out one of my (and Curio's first) collegium!

I, personally, have been studying Roman law for about 3 years now and I love law - but I must say, I couldn't be a lawyer! I was going to be -- but then I decided to study classics and philosophy. Philosophy in law is always interesting to me! What are everyone else's interests and experience in Roman law?
Gaia Cassia Longina

Re: Salvete!

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Tue May 17, 2016 4:45 am

Gaia Cassia Longina wrote:Salvete omnes!

I'm glad that you chose to check out one of my (and Curio's first) collegium!

I, personally, have been studying Roman law for about 3 years now and I love law - but I must say, I couldn't be a lawyer! I was going to be -- but then I decided to study classics and philosophy. Philosophy in law is always interesting to me! What are everyone else's interests and experience in Roman law?

Salve Cassia,

I had a similar experience many moons ago. I even did a year of law school. But it wasn't for me. So I went to graduate school and studied esoteric topics in the classics. After this I never really left graduate school. 8-)

vale.

Philo
L. CURTIUS PHILO COS. SEN.
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Tue May 17, 2016 4:55 am

P. Sextius Laevus C. Cassiae Longinae Salve

Hope your flight went well.

My interest first is to find what remains of republican period law aside from the twelve tables fragments http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/ius.html and what online introductory resources would be good.

Vale
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Tue May 17, 2016 9:27 pm

Salvete!

I'm glad to see other Classics people here!
Laeve, thank you! It went as any 12 hour flight would go!

For Republican law - as this is my area of interest as well - I like to go to Cicero and see what he says most of the time. Gaius is a great resource! I also have a few case studies that I can post, if anyone is interested!

C Cassia Longina
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Gaia Octavia Caesar » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:22 pm

Hi Gaia Cassia Longina,

I am interested in your post as former law clerks and a law graduates backed in 2009 from the UK. Besides, I did English Legal System was very much based on Roman Law influenced, including Canon Laws in the UK and European continental. I think that's the legacy of Corpus Jurivilis or the Code of Justinian where Byzantine Emperor Justinian codified the Roman Laws into a single code. That's why Cambridge University undergraduate still made it compulsory for students to study Roman Law even though other universities in Britain called it English Legal System. Also, Oxford university already run a law degree for undergraduate as Bachelor of Jurisprudence and Bachelor of Civil Law for postgraduate. Not easy as it is tough like Bachelor of Arts in Classics by Oxbridge.

I try to study classics on my own backed home in Malaysia by buying books about the Myths of Greeks and Romans, that's the books that were my source of entertainment to fight bullying when I was a kid. But, it is too expensive to buy other political systems, institutions and the governance of ancient Greek-Roman.

I'd love that you will educate me on Roman Laws and classical studies of Greeks and Romans
Gaia Octavia Caesar

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:28 pm

Salve, Octavia!
It is a pleasure to meet you! I will absolutely send you this as soon as I am home - I am in Greece for 3 months right now doing research. However, I found some other articles for you and posted them here:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=791

These are just some of my favorites. I would love to answer any questions or have a discussion on what you think - do you see any similarities in the modern law system that reflect the Roman code?
I look forward to your participation!

C Cassia Longina
Gaia Cassia Longina

Return to Collegium Legis Romanae