Convocation of the Collegium

This collegium provides discussion, lessons, and research for those interested in the cultural language of Rome. | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 4%ABnae/47

Moderators: Marcus Livius Horatius, Octavius Aurelius Augustus, Postumus Galerius Galba, Lucius Livius Seneca, Lucia Horatia Adamas

Re: Convocation of the Collegium

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:15 am

P. Sextius Laevus L. Livio Senecæ magister Horatiae Adamanti magistrae omnibusque S.P.D.

I would like to see the English translation interlinear in square brackets (subordinate to the Latin) as it is presented it in the Constitutio Collegi Philosophici.

Also a typo in IV. All member who are citizens optimo iure shall have voting privileges. <- should be 'members'.

Valete
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:11 pm

L. Horatia Adamas fautoribus omnibus linguæ Latinæ S.P.D.

Yes, Philo, Idibus Oct. = October 15th, which is nefastus publicus, the day of the October horse (inter alia).

I would prefer to have 'magistri' left untranslated; most of us know what 'magister' means--and all of us should. Moreover, 'master' does not strike the ears of many as being a desirable word unless it is accompanied by the name of a profession: master builder, master electrician, master violinist, master teacher… otherwise it reeks of slavery, and bears hints of sexual perversions. Its feminine form, too, happens to be 'mistress,' which has other implications. (Note: some English nouns have perfectly legitimate feminine forms, which some refuse to use on the grounds that they are insulting. They are not insulting to this sensible feminist, who knows that 'between Joe and I' is not acceptable English, nor is 'if I was you,' as well as that 'hostess' [etc.] is not insulting).

The future imperatives should all be translated with 'shall,' in proper documentary style. Laboro capite, ergo hocc confirmare non possum.

Reminder: I shall be away at the Academia Latinitati Fovendæ convention later this month….and may not have access although I shall bring my computer with me.

Valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:31 pm

L. Livius Seneca mag. omnibus sociis s.p.d.

Since the English version of the Regula is to be an informal aid to those in need of it (e.g., the Curule Aedilitas), it is something which can be tinkered with by the magistri and socii without need for a formal, deliberative process.

The proposed official Latin version, however, seems to be stable and broadly accepted, but will require formal ratification. As such, in accordance with the Edictum Consulare de Collegio Latinae, I am calling for a vote of the College to amend the current bylaws to the following:

REGVLA COLLEGI LATINI

All members optimo iure are eligible to vote, starting today until the close of Tuesday, July 18th. Please announce your votes in this thread.

Valete.
Lucius Livius Seneca
Quaestor
Quaestor

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:02 am

UTI ROGAS - in favour of the bylaws 'REGVLA COLLEGI LATINI'

P. Sextius Laevus
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:45 pm

L. Horatia Adamas collegae L. Livio Senecae omnibusque S.P.D.

I vote 'uti rogas' for the Latin text, although (as earlier) I would prefer standard outline format. We may tweak the English one a bit more, but most of it seems fine.

Vale, et valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:50 am

VTI·ROGAS
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 pm

L. Livius mag. omnibus sociis sal.

The motion to amend is carried unanimously. I thank you all for your tireless patience and indefatigable labour throughout this process. We have succeeded in building a strong foundation for the future work of the (newly-dubbed) Collegium Latinum!

I will inform the Curule Aedilitas of the amendments, and submit them to their office for final approval. Given the protracted length of time which this convocation has required to accomplish the substantial task of rewriting our bylaws, I would like to withdraw the final item from the agenda (on monita), and adjourn. We can discuss the matter casually in the forum until there is need for formal deliberation. If anyone objects to this, do speak up. Otherwise, you all have my thanks, my congratulations, and my warm wishes!

Valete.
Lucius Livius Seneca
Quaestor
Quaestor

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:46 pm

P. Sextius Laevus L. Livio Senecæ magister Horatiae Adamanti magistrae omnibusque S.P.D.

I second the motion to table the last adgenda item on monita for cassual discussion in the Collegium Forum and to adjourn the Convocation of the Collegium.

Valete
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:21 am

L. Horatia Adamas L. Livio Senecæ P. Sextio Lævo C. Florio Lupo omnibusque S.P.D.

Macte! I hope the ædilis will approve. To me, everything seems to be quite good, and worthy of approval. :-)

Ut collegæ Senecæ privatim dixi (in epistolio quod spero eum accepisse), abero partem hebdomadis insequentis ut participem conventús Academiæ Latinitati Fovendæ; spero me acroases Latiné habitas intellecturam, Kentuckiam, Lexington, et Universitatem inventuram, et incolumem perventuram redituramque.

Valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:09 pm

Salvete, magistri!

When submitting the new bylaws to the Aediles, you may encounter the same problem as I did. Only the Plebeian Aedile Augustus answered and only after being contacted by Consul Curio, and apparently he does not have the technical means to do the required changes (publishing the new bylaws, name change etc.).
We are facing the sad reality that except our two collegia the forum and most magistrate offices of the Republic are abandoned. The forum will keep working, but we will most likely not be able to make any of the changes that we have decided.
We as the last active members of the Republic should plan together, what we can do. The magistrates need to be replaced with active members. Maybe we need new elections or we have to restructure the Republic, so it can technically work. We have to work together on this.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

PreviousNext

Return to Collegium Latinae