Kalendis Martiis

This collegium provides discussion, lessons, and research for those interested in the cultural language of Rome. | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 4%ABnae/47

Moderators: Titus Aurelius Apollinaris, Octavius Aurelius Augustus, Gaius Valerius Scipio, Lucia Horatia Adamas, Lucius Livius Seneca

Kalendis Martiis

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:06 pm

L. Horatia Adamas sodalibus S.P.D.

Quotannis Kalendis Martiis opus quoddam Horati ad indices Latinitatis mittere soleo, ergo mitto:

Martiis caelebs quid agam Kalendis,
quid velint flores et acerra turis
plena miraris positusque carbo in
caespite vivo,

docte sermone utriusque linguae?
voveram dulcis epulas et album
Libero caprum prope funeratus
arboris ictu.

hic dies anno redeunte festus
corticem adstrictum pice dimovebit
amphorae fumum bibere institutae
consule Tullo.

sume, Maecenas, cyathos amici
sospitis centum et vigiles lucernas
perfer in lucem: procul omnis esto
clamor et ira.

mitte civilis super urbe curas:
occidit Daci Cotisonis agmen,
Medus infestus sibi luctuosis
dissidet armis,

servit Hispanae vetus hostis orae
Cantaber sera domitus catena,
jam Scythae laxo meditantur arcu
cedere campis.

neglegens ne qua populus laboret
parce privatus nimium cavere et
dona praesentis cape laetus horae ac
lingua severa.

--Q. Horatius Flaccus, Carmina III. viii.

Hodie Romani diem Novi Anni Romae, Matronalia, Concordialia, et alios dies festivos celebrabant.

Valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Re: Kalendis Martiis

Postby Lucius Metilius Niger » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:08 pm

:P Gratias tibi ago !
Lucius Metilius Niger

Postby Appius Claudius Tuscus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:35 am

Ut alii non satis versi lingua Latina (similes mihi) melius hoc carmine fruere possent, hoc praebeo --

Horace, Odes, Book III, no. VIII:

The first of March! a man unwed!
What can these flowers, this censer mean?
Or what these embers, glowing red
On sods of green?

You ask, in either language skill'd!
A feast I vow'd to Bacchus free,
A white he-goat, when all but kill'd
By falling tree.

So, when that holyday comes round,
It sees me still the rosin clear
From this my wine-jar, first embrown'd
In Tullus' year.

Come, crush one hundred cups for life
Preserved, Maecenas; keep till day
The candles lit; let noise and strife
Be far away.

Lay down that load of state-concern;
The Dacian hosts are all o'erthrown;
The Mede, that sought our overturn,
Now seeks his own;

A servant now, our ancient foe,
The Spaniard, wears at last our chain;
The Scythian half unbends his bow
And quits the plain.

Then fret not lest the state should ail;
A private man such thoughts may spare;
Enjoy the present hour's regale,
And banish care.

Horace. The Odes and Carmen Saeculare of Horace. John Conington. trans. London. George Bell and Sons. 1882.
Appius Claudius Tuscus

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:15 am

L. Horatia Adamas L. Metilio Nigro Ap. Claudio Tusco omnibusque S.P.D.

Flocci est, L. Metili Nigre!

Ap. Claudi Tusce, I'm sure this translation was helpful to those who find Horatius difficult (most of the human population which has been exposed to his works in Latin), but it should be noted that this version is quite free, and therefore does not hew closely to the original text, especially in the first three stanzas. The rest of them reflect the text better.

As a bit of assistance: 'velint' signifies 'mean' here ('what does this word mean…') caespes, caespitis means 'turf, sod,' caelebs means 'bachelor, unmarried man,' acerra is an incense box, Libero is the dative of Liber, another name for Dionysus / Bacchus, but certainly is NOT the adjective 'free' here…and those hundred cups were to be consumed, not crushed.

Valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Appius Claudius Tuscus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:29 am

Omnibus, salutem!

Yes, Horatia Adamas, I could see it was not a close translation, but it was a handy one. On inspection I thought it not too bad, still caught something of the spirit, and felt we'd be better for some familiarity with Horatius via English (or French, or Spanish, or German!) than none at all!

Wish I had your proficiency in Latin!

Vale atque valete.
Appius Claudius Tuscus

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:52 am

L. Horatia Adamas Ap. Claudio Tusco omnibusque S.P.D.

Yes, it's a handy translation, and fairly close to the original in the later stanzas. However, it is very free in the earlier ones…

My instructor in living Latin might dispute the utility of translations; too often, they prevent learning the target language because reading the translation is much easier than trying to figure the Latin / Greek / Sanskrit / French / German / Italian / Spanish / Nahuatl (or whatever) is so much easier. Thus it is that translations are most useful for those who do not know a given language at all, but may impede those who do know something about the language(s) in question. On the other hand, he approved using a bilingual text to check one's comprehension once one got fairly competent at Latin, etc.

My proficiency in Latin (such as it be) is the result of over a dozen years of it in school, college, and university, followed after many years by a course in living Latin, which at the time was taught by its creator, a prominent European Latinist known for his fluency in Latin. This course was later divided in two and offered both in its original form and in a slower format. I taught the original form alternating with the two slower ones for several years, but the newer faculty members did not wish to continue with the rota of assigned courses, so I taught what was later considered the accelerated course while they handled the slower ones--and ignored the instructions of the course creator in that and other respects. Eventually they expelled the better teachers, but the excellent course materials should still be onsite. You might want to take one of these courses; they provide wonderful fluency in Latin. In the mean time, you might be able to acquire the very costly textbook, 'Le Latin sans Peine,' by Clément Desessard; its publisher, Assimil, has just reissued it under a different title, 'Le Latin,' (not to be confused with an earlier volume of that name, by a certain I. Ducos-Filippi, who has managed to make many errors in Latin paradigms). This text is bilingual in French and Latin, and comes with several CDs in Latin. The same text is also available in Latin / German and Latin / Italian as 'Latein Ohne Mühe' and 'Il Latino senza Sforzo' respectively. The Latin text itself is best in the German edition (and worst in the Italian one); the course creator vetted the German edition's text, which was the most recent one until the new French version of the Desessard text appeared. The onsite courses provide translations of the vernacular portions of the texts into both English and Spanish, but those are available solely to the registered students. Another good text is Ørberg's 'Lingua Latina per se Illustrata / Familia Romana,' which is entirely in Latin; pictures in the margins illustrate the meanings of the words. For traditional method Latin, Wheelock's Latin (from which I teach courses I devised) and 'Latin for Americans' are also quite good. So is the ancient Jenney, from which I learned Latin in high school, way back in the Palæolithic. None of the latter group, however, is intended to produce fluency, though all should generate at least some ability in reading Latin.

If you have some background in Latin, you might want to try the courses I mentioned above; they are free, but the text is at least $125, though an older version of the French text may still be online for a free download. Within a year or so those who work at it will gain remarkable fluency in Latin even though the current faculty members, while good Latinists, are not so competent as the former ones, much less as skilled as the course creator, whose abilities are amazing, and far exceed mine.

Vale, et valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Return to Collegium Latinum