Scientific Articles Published in Latin?

This collegium provides discussion, lessons, and research for those interested in the cultural language of Rome. | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 4%ABnae/47

Moderators: Titus Aurelius Apollinaris, Octavius Aurelius Augustus, Gaius Valerius Scipio, Lucia Horatia Adamas, Lucius Livius Seneca

Scientific Articles Published in Latin?

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sat May 13, 2017 4:26 am

Salvete omnes!

I have a question. Given how Latin had been marked for hundreds of years as the language of Science and Knowledge, I have become curious to know if there is ANY scientific journal or group that still publish articles in Latin. Does anyone know anything about that?

Valete bene,
Philo
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Re: Scientific Articles Published in Latin?

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat May 13, 2017 1:48 pm

At least in theology there are. All encyclicae from the pontifex maximus (pope) are published in Latin. However they ard not exactly scientific, as I understand science.
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Sat May 13, 2017 3:13 pm

L. Livius mag. C. Aureliano sal.

Finnish national radio has had a weekly news broadcast in Latin since the eighties: Nuntii Latini.

The Pontifical Academy of Latin also publishes a journal (Latinitas), but I've yet to get my hands on an issue, so I don't know the ratio of Italian to Latin content.

As for Latin journals specifically for the natural sciences, I am not aware of any and I doubt they exist, as science students are barely educated in the humanities these days, let alone the Latin language (which I say having completed an undergraduate degree in science). It is not a language in which the majority of the scientific community could meaningfully communicate these days.

Vale.
L. Livius Ani. Seneca
Dominus Prasinus
Lucius Livius Seneca
Quaestor
Quaestor

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sat May 13, 2017 5:10 pm

True... I only found two and both only related with the Humanities: Mnemosyne (Classical Studies) and Hermes (Philology)
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Sat May 13, 2017 10:52 pm

L. Horatia Adamas C. Curtio Philoni L. Livio Senecae C. Florio Lupo sodalibus omnibus S.P.D.

As I mentioned in another thread, there is in fact an all-Latin academic journal published in Belgium, Melissa. So far as I am aware, it is published bimonthly. It isn't a fancy four-color journal, or one which is very thick, but it is illustrated and continues to be published entirely in Latin. One of my students purchased a gift subscription for me, and earlier I subscribed on my own. The editors are very well known European Latinists, Gaius Licoppe and Francisca Deraedt, and the articles are written by a number of fine Latinists, some of whom are in the Grex Latiné Loquentium, the all-Latin mailing list I mentioned elsewhere.

Valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Return to Collegium Latinum