[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4855: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4857: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4858: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4859: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Roman Republic: Res publica Romana • View topic - Elections

Elections

This collegium provides discussion, lessons, and research for those interested in the cultural language of Rome. | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 4%ABnae/47

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa, Lucia Horatia Adamas

Elections

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Salvete omens,

Elections will take place in December of this year to elect the officers of 2017-2018. These officers will serve a term of 1 year. There are no restrictions on terms elected.

Starting now, members of the collegia are encouraged to announce their candidacy.

Positions:

Two (2) Magistri
One (1) Scriba
One (1) Auctor

Magistra maxima - NOT ELECTED
The group's founder, G. Cassia Longina, shall hold the position of magistra maxima for life after the completion of this group and will guide discussions, provide sources, and information to any who wish to ask or be a part of this collegium. Her role is to promote the group and deal with the administrative functions – such as organizing events, serving as leader in voting, serving as iudex when cases arise, etc. while also concerned with the direction of lessons and final translations in Latin.
The members may contact her at any time and are guaranteed a response. [Other leaders may be added with election or participation in the founding of this group.]

Magister(a)
The magister(a) will be an experienced student with at least 3 years of Latin experience. They should be able to perform translations, readings, etc. with acceptable skill. They will work together with the magistra maxima according to the collegium's purpose and provide help with translations, their own lessons, discussions, etc.

Scriba
The scriba will conduct all secondary editing and checks for any translations. They should have at least 1 year of experience in Latin. They will perform all necessary actions, reports, and activity within the collegium at the direction of the magistra maxima and magistri.

Auctor
The auctor will provide services to promote the collegium and also examine all contributions (articles, translations, writings, etc.) and report the activities of the group to the officers.

To read more about the by-laws, click here: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... gium%20Latīnae/47

The privilege of voting belongs to those belonging to the Republic and collegium.
The collegium is open to all members of the Republic.
Voting will begin 2 November until 20 November - no campaigning will be allowed during this time.

Good luck!

C Cassia Longina
Gaia Cassia Longina

Re: Elections

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:08 am

L. Livius Seneca C. Cassiae Longinae, mag. max., et omnibus collegis sal.

I would like to take this occasion to announce my candidacy for one of the two positions of magister of the College.

I certainly feel qualified to hold this office for the following reasons: I have around four years worth of combined, post-secondary coursework in Latin (Classical, Ecclesiastical, and Modern), as well as experience with Ancient Greek (Homeric, Attic, and Koine); my Master of Arts thesis required extensive, original translations of Renaissance Latin texts; I have taught courses in Latin at the undergraduate level; and I have previously served as an official Latinist for Roman organizations, as well as contributing translations and commentary to Reddit's . I continue to enjoy the Latin language immensely, and have a few, personal translation projects in the works right now. I also occasionally compose the odd Roman elegy.

I am interested in serving the College as a magister because Latin is one of the aspects of modern Romanitas that I treasure most, and I wish to take an active role in helping this organization and its members—dedicated to promoting the role of Latin within the Res Publica—flourish in their efforts to do so.

If anyone has comments or questions of me, I warmly welcome them to contact me at their convenience.

Valete.
Lucius Livius Seneca

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:39 pm

L. Horatia Adamas L. Livio Senecae omnibusque S.P.D.

[An English text follows the Latin]

Petasum meum in 'circulum' quoque jacio, magistratum collegi Latini petens. Linguae Latinae methodo traditá doctae plus quam duodecim annos studui, deinde post longam moram aegritudinis causá studia intermissa revocavi, Latinitati Vivae duos annos studens cum Latinista notissimo in Europá. Eramus decem illo in cursu, e quibus tantum quinque eum absolverunt. Post tirocinium duorum annorum, scholas methodo naturali docere coepi; jam alios methodo tradita docebam, et adhuc doceo. Abhinc aliquos annos conventiculi (id est, 'immersionis') participavi, quo maximopere fructa sum. Ibi per septimanam tantum Latiné loqui debemus; feliciter, moderator vocabula particibus ignota praebet.

Etiam a puellitia linguae antiquae me arte tenebant, et me Latine didici antequam in schola secondaria cum magistris linguae Latinae studui. Gaudeo maximopere me Latineloquentem esse; particeps Gregis jam diu sum, et interdum ausculto emissiones radiophonicas YLE.

Spero haec vobis placituros, et candidatum meum accipere velle.

Valete!

===

I, too, am throwing my hat into the ring, seeking the office of magistra of the Latin collegium. I have studied Latin taught by the traditional method [that is, memorization of forms and translation] for over a dozen years, then after a long interval due to illness, I recommenced the studies I had laid aside, continuing with a two year course of living [spoken and written] Latin conducted by a prominent European Latinist. There were ten of us in the course, of whom only five survived to complete it. After a novitiate (so to speak) of some two years, I began to teach Latin courses by a natural method; I already taught traditional-method ones, and still do. A few years ago, I was a participant in a conventiculum, or Latin immersion session, which I greatly enjoyed. There one must speak nothing but Latin for a whole week. Fortunately the moderator supplies vocabulary items unknown to the students…

Even from childhood, I was keenly interested in learning ancient languages, and taught myself some Latin before I ever studied it with a teacher, when I was in high school. I am delighted to be a Latin speaker; for several years I have been a member of the Grex [an all-Latin mailing list whose members include many of the top Latinists in the world], and at least occasionally listen to the radio news programs in Latin presented by YLE radio [in Finland].

I hope that these will please you, and that you will accept my candidacy.

Valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:27 pm

I am sorry for the delay! I have been away for a while, trying to finish my dissertation.

I find it wonderful that these two citizens are stepping forward. As magistra maxima, I am taking a more hands-off approach with this collegium to see where the citizens wish to take it. Now, with the help of the magistri, we can help this collegium grow!
We still need:
One (1) Scriba
One (1) Auctor

Please offer your names and help this collegium!
Voting will now close officially on 20 November, 23.59 Roma Time (+6 EST). The rogator for the votes will be L Aurelius Curio. Please submit your votes to my email: e.cassia.longinus@gmail.com.

C Cassia Longina
-Magistra Maxima-
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Salvete omnes,

Voting is now closing! I shall announce the new magistri tomorrow!

C Cassia Longina
Gaia Cassia Longina

Return to Collegium Latinum