[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4855: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4857: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4858: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4859: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Roman Republic: Res publica Romana • View topic - Ideas for a crash course in Latin

Ideas for a crash course in Latin

This collegium provides discussion, lessons, and research for those interested in the cultural language of Rome. | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 4%ABnae/47

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa, Lucia Horatia Adamas

Re: Ideas for a crash course in Latin

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:53 am

Regarding latin in rites: As of now most of the people in the Societas Numaea are trying to find ways to make rites more accessable to people so a vernacular version is taking priority in general. But there has also been talks in, whenever possible, making the rites bilingual. I'm sure the SN or even the future Collegium Pontificum will spend a lot of Denarii in the Collegium Latinae requesting accurate translations ^^ I'm sure we will be working a lot with the Magistri and their appointed Translators over time.
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:31 am

L. Horatia Adamas P. Sextio Laevo omnibus S.P.D.

Indeed, people do learn in different ways. Some learn almost exclusively by visual means, some almost entirely by auditory ones, etc., although a good many of us use multiple methods. I like to have an overall conspectus before getting into the details, so I inflict that on my students…

Some like to start with books; some, including the German archaeologist Heinrich Schliemann, the discoverer of Troy, used bilingual texts. Those texts which are oriented to natural learning methods (Ørberg, Assimil) are quite easy to use right off the bat. Wheelock (from which I have been teaching for about a dozen years) is less digestible initially, at least for many. His is essentially a traditional method, but adapted to simplify the process. It is several steps down from the Jenney series which greeted my HS Latin I class, but still depends on memorization in order to ensure learning. This works for some, but not everyone.

There are those who prefer to see the forest first, and those who prefer to examine the trees, preferably at very close range. There are almost as many learning styles as learners. Learning sentences is a natural way of learning; would it work for you? Or would you prefer a grammatical synopsis?

If the Audio Lingual Method did not work for you, Laeve, perhaps you are preferentially a visual learner. I am not familiar with this one, so don't know exactly how it is supposed to work, but the name gives some indication. As for what language works for whom, in my undergraduate days, the engineers (all male, and all equipped with slide rules) were supposed to learn their choice of German or Russian, art history majors could opt for French or Italian (maybe Spanish), classicists eventually had to take French and German…on top of Latin and Greek.

'Sunt' was not in the dictionary? I think some of the dictionaries do list these forms separately. The most elementary of the standard Greek dictionaries does list a lot of the morphological variants. Thermodynamics should keep one quite busy; one of my better students was occupied with that a few years ago.

Well, I don't think that learning two pronunciations of Latin makes one bilingual, but it might make it easier to converse with Pope Benedict. ;-) There are several going pronunciations of modern spoken Latin, concentrating on the restituta, or restored pronunciation, but the Italian, or ecclesiastical, pronunciation is still in use. Some northern Europeans use a variation on the restituta which does not use v = English 'w,' and ae does not = English 'I' or German 'ei.' I learned ecclesiastical in HS and an earlier version of restituta afterward, then true restituta when I studied spoken Latin. Maybe I am trilingual…

Nice to know that engineers are actually reading ancient Latin authors! Macte virtute!

Vale, et valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:31 am

P. Sextius Laevus L. Horatiae Adamanti S.P.D.

Hui! Forum Latinitate viventi sit. Gaudio ad Lupus Senecaque in Collegio Latino loquantur quasi umbra ad lucem irent. Ex ilice robor surgendum est.

Miser Severus, is e omnibus sibi auribus opplens sint. Puto se per silvam currens viderem.

Vale
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator
Consul
Consul

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:32 am

P. Sextio Laevo C. Aurelio Victori omnibusque S.P.D.

Hope the religious collegium has a lot of denarii…it may need them! Glad that they want to translate the rituals. For those, archaic Latin is preferred: the older, the better.

It is nice to see so many participants here, isn't it, Laeve? Vivat et floreat lingua Latina, et viva et 'mortua!'

Sententiam secundam tuam non bene intellego; quid dicere vis?

Valeatis!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:47 am

Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:55 am

Regarding the rites, in ancient Rome religious ceremonies were often done in an antiquated form of Latin that hardly anybody in classical times understood. So language matters in religious ceremonies.
This typical Roman attitude of "the older it sounds, the more it pleases the gods" could even be seen in the rites of the Catholic Church until the Vatican II Council, when the mass was strictly read in Latin, although nobody understood it anymore.
Therefore the Societas Nunaea should really do everything in Latin. Anything else would be against the Roman spirit. If the Catholic Church could do it, we should be able to do it too.
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:48 pm

Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:54 pm

'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator
Consul
Consul

Postby Lucius Metilius Niger » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm agree with Gaius.
Lucius Metilius Niger

Postby Tiberius Publicius Gracchus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:51 pm

I have had some luck with Linney's Latin Class which is an online course that teaches students basic Latin. It uses a 100 year old textbook that can be purchased reletively cheaply. The exercises are taken from Caesar's Gallic War so most of the vocabulary is related to that. I got through the first part of it and plan to finish it when I am done with grad school.

Here is the url: http://www.linneyslatinclass.com
Tiberius Publicius Gracchus

PreviousNext

Return to Collegium Latinum