[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4855: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4857: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4858: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4859: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Roman Republic: Res publica Romana • View topic - Ideas for a crash course in Latin

Ideas for a crash course in Latin

This collegium provides discussion, lessons, and research for those interested in the cultural language of Rome. | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 4%ABnae/47

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa, Lucia Horatia Adamas

Re: Ideas for a crash course in Latin

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:46 pm

L. Horatia Adamas C. Aurelio Victori P. Sextio Laevo C. Florio Lupo fautoribus linguae Latinae S.P.D.

The archaic Latin used in some rituals is not all that terrifying; a lesson on spelling and simple sound changes could explain that to anyone who knows the classical forms. After all, it is the same sort of Latin as is used in Plautus and Terentius. The differences mostly concern different spellings of certain forms and the use of older verb forms, such as the subjunctive 'siem, sies, siet' rather than the classical 'sim, sis, sit.' Over all, it is comprehensible. I think we had one lesson in college Latin as a preface to dealing with archaic Latin in the form of Plautus…

It would seem that some cultores are terrified of Latin. They should not be. Many Roman Catholics sat through Mass without understanding much, if anything, the priest said (although RC high schools often required some Latin); they just prayed the rosary and said 'Amen' when necessary. There is no good reason why those who honor the Roman deities should not be able to observe the celebrant in similar fashion, or learn a little Latin to make things more authentic. Like some others, Roman prayers are quite repetitious; learn a phrase or two or three, and one is well on one's way to understanding. Just plug in the correct name, and one is good to go.

Lupe, some of us had no trouble understanding the Latin Mass… it isn't true that 'nobody understood it anymore.' Probably others comprehended at least some of it. Read Marie Winn to see why so many today suffer from linguistic impairments, and fear foreign languages even as the need to know them increases.

I agree that rituals should be done in Latin, and that that is the true reflection of the Roman spirit. Just as is the case when one is planted in a foreign country and has to communicate in another language, one learns a language by exposure to that language. Necessity and curiosity are excellent aids to learning. Moreover, there are many fine Latin texts, and some which are oriented to self-instruction. At least a couple include CDs or tapes to help with pronunciation. I myself would not recommend a hundred year old textbook for that; the more modern methods are better adapted to gaining fluency, even if only in written Latin. My first Latin text was inherited, and very old, but I doubt many today would find it suitable. Is there some good reason why cultores cannot learn a simple Latin prayer for daily devotion? Non puto.

Valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:59 pm

"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Tiberius Publicius Gracchus » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:31 pm

I am hoping that Duolingo eventually adds Latin. I have been working my Spanish with Duolingo, and I have learned quite a bit from it. I know Latin has more complicated grammar than Spanish, so maybe that format wouldn't be the best for Latin. They are adding Klingon so hopefully Latin won't be far behind.
Tiberius Publicius Gracchus

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:52 pm

L. Horatia Adamas Ti. Publicio Graccho omnibusque S.P.D.

As I am totally unfamiliar with 'Duolingo' I can't very well comment. I believe that Rosetta Stone does do Latin, but am not certain.

Yes, Latin has a more complicated grammar than Spanish, but it has only one word for 'to be,' not two… ;-) It also has nouns, and adjectives, in the neuter gender, which Spanish seems to lack. Unlike French, however, it does not have special literary tenses, and unlike French and German, does not have separate verb forms for one's social inferiors. I suspect that anyone who knows Spanish could just plug the appropriate Latin form into their brains' grammar department, but that using cases instead of prepositions for relationships and functions of nouns might be more challenging.

No matter what system one uses, the fact that people learn in different ways, and learn different subjects in different ways, will not disappear. What works for José might not work for Luis, and what works for Luis might not work for José, let alone for William or Mary or Antoine or Antoinette. One may have to try several methods before finding one which works. That can get expensive with these fancy language learning systems.

So a knowledge of Klingon is more important than one of what has been called 'the world's most successful language'? Do they offer Vulcan, too? High Elven tongue?

Vale, et valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 pm

Salvete,
Rosetta Stone does do Latin! That is actually how I started years and years ago! It is ok - not the best, not the worst. They do not do ancient Greek though! Much to my dismay!
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:03 pm

L. Horatia Adamas C. Cassiae Longinae omnibusque S.P.D.

Plurimas gratias pro confirmatione! Many thanks for the confirmation [that Rosetta Stone does do Latin]. Too bad that they don't do classical Greek as well, but that has always had a smaller audience, and likely a very tiny group of speakers. However, the Assimil series does have a text for ancient Greek, one accompanied by CDs to help with pronunciation. I have heard that this text is not as good as the one for Latin, but apparently it still is valuable, and would be used at the schola if they could find a teacher. I don't know whether or not it is published in English (or Spanish); the Latin one is available in Latin / French, Latin / Italian, and Latin / German, and the schola provides translations into both English and Spanish to its students. The older French edition is available online, but they have a very new one now, one which apparently improves on the original--and probably costs even more than the one they took out of print some years ago. Videte (although this video was created before the publication of the German edition, and that of the very new revised French one):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl= ... Dg70dIbDUw

Vale, et valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Tiberius Publicius Gracchus » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:34 am

Duolingo is a free language learning app. It is mostly translation exercises. It also has occasional speaking exercises. You wont become fluent just using the app but you can't beat the price. Latin has been requested but so have hundreds of other languages so I wouldn't hold your breath. I did find several Latin tutors who have studied Classics at the phd level. They charge $50 per hour but thats actually much cheaper than a university course, and its one on one instruction. I tried getting through Wheelocks on my own but I think I need an instructor. I found the tutors using Wyzant, which is a website where instructors can sign up and it connects them with students. I would sign up for tutoring in this group if there was a way to do it face to face, maybe using Skype.
Tiberius Publicius Gracchus

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:41 am

L. Horatia Adamas Ti. Publicio Graccho fautoribus linguae Latinae S.P.D.

Gratias pro explicatione de 'duolingo!'

Equidem quoque linguis et culturae classicae ad doctoratum obtinendum studui donec rebus familiaribus studia relinquere coacta sum.

I know of a very good course which uses Wheelock, but it is too late to enter it this semester. However, first semester can be run in second semester as the courses are on separate pages. I can also tutor if you like. The course does charge tuition, but is only a little more per semester than what you cited for a single hour. It uses a special software package adapted to instruction, and has sound files as well as some interesting photographs, but is not conducted via Skype. However, it often is one on one…and students can ask as many questions as they like. Time zone and similar issues make live interaction rather difficult.

BTW, the video whose link I included in my previous post is of a well-known Latinist, Avitus, who is highly respected for his fluency in spoken and written Latin. Those who know Latin might want to listen to it and learn how Latin really did sound.

Vale, et valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:31 am

Curio Graccho Sal.

I like your suggestion for the use of Duolingo, even if it doesn't have Latin yet. I use it to learn Russian, as I would like sometime in the future to be able to somewhat converse with our non-English speaking citizens from Sarmatia. Plus, it's always good to have another language under your belt.

Vale Bene!

L. Aurelius Curio
Vis per Unitatem Romanam

Lucius Aurelius Curio
Augur
Augur
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Fortunae Sacerdos
Fortunae Sacerdos

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:06 am

L. Horatia Adamas L. Aurelio Curioni fautoribus linguae Latinae S.P.D.

Potes quoque cum Sarmatiis aliisque Latiné colloqui, nam etiam ibi sunt Latineloquentes. ;-)

It's always good to learn languages--and Latin is among the best to learn. Knowing Latin makes it much easier to learn Romance languages, even non-Romance Indo-European ones, plus one gets the added benefit of being able to read a large selection of literary works of considerable merit along with the ability to speak with others who have no other common tongue. There are Latin speakers in Russia…in Hong Kong…in Japan…in many parts of Europe, both east and west…and I expect that several of them will be coming to Kentucky next July for a major conference of Latinists.

Vale, et valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Previous

Return to Collegium Latinum