Convocation of the Collegium

This collegium provides discussion, lessons, and research for those interested in the cultural language of Rome. | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 4%ABnae/47

Moderators: Lucius Livius Seneca, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Marca Marcia, Aula Flavia Philippa, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Lucia Horatia Adamas

Re: Convocation of the Collegium

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Tue May 16, 2017 8:22 pm

L. Livius mag. C. Aureliano sal.

C. Curtius Philo Aurelianus wrote:Are there provisions for in the case when both Magistri have resigned or are otherwise unattending?

In the absence of both Magistri, the voting member with the lowest citizen ID number (or another voting member designated by him) is authorized to carry out an election (V.b). The only scenario that might be problematic is if the Magistri disappear without any formal resignation; then it might be unclear when the previously mentioned member would be authorized to consider the offices "vacated" and initiate elections. In such a case, however, the curule aediles are authorized by the Lex Curiatorum on collegia (IV) to intervene and assist.

C. Curtius Philo Aurelianus wrote:Are there provisions for in case any element of the bylaws conflict with the laws of the RR? (A standard procedure on how to fix that)

If this were to happen, the higher law (viz., the lex) would supersede the lower law (viz., the bylaws). It would then be up to the membership to amend the bylaws accordingly (XIV). There are probably more sophisticated ways of dealing with this situation, but I'm not sure they would be necessary ...

Vale.
L. LIVIVS ANI. SENECA
V. C. ET INL. PR. VR.MAG. COLL. L.
Lucius Livius Seneca
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Praetor Urbanus
Praetor Urbanus

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Sat May 20, 2017 5:32 pm

P. Sextius Laevus L. Livio Senecæ magister Horatiae Adamanti magistrae omnibusque S.P.D.

A few additions to the regula:
RegulaCollegiiLatini.pdf
(19.25 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Valete
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Thu May 25, 2017 4:54 am

L. Livius Magister omnibus collegis sal.

In light of P. Sextius' recent suggestions, and some of the corrections offered by Horatia Adamas to the Collegium Philosophicum, I offer this most recent recension:

REGVLA COLLEGII LATINI

Valete.
L. LIVIVS ANI. SENECA
Lucius Livius Seneca
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Praetor Urbanus
Praetor Urbanus

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Sat May 27, 2017 6:48 am

P. Sextius Laevus L. Livio Senecæ magister L. Horatiae Adamanti magistrae C. Florio Lupo magister omnibusque S.P.D.

Collegae
Omnibus civibus Rei Publicae Romanae introitum in Collegium a Magistris postulare licet; approbati qui cives optimo iure sunt, suffragium habent.

I find that this condensation might confuse the three separate points and would think it best to keep them separate:

Collegae

a. Omnibus civibus Romanis liceat collegae Collegii Philosophici fieri.
b. Collega utri magistro approbanda est.
c. Omnes collegae, qui cives optimo iure sunt, suffragium habent.

Though, I do find the "open to all citizens" and "must be approved by a Magistri" in minor conflict.

I am enjoying how these two collegial by-laws have been developing. Thank you'al for bringing them along.

Valete
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Mon May 29, 2017 1:28 pm

It is nice that we can write that theoretically any of the two magistri can approve the membership. However the reality is that technically the magistri cannot. They have no control over membership and do not even get notified about new applications. In fact apart from the honor of being listed as leader the magistri have no effective privilegue over any other member. The real leaders of the collegium are the Aediles or maybe just the webmaster.

We have to pressure the admins of this forum to implement technically what the bylaws say. Otherwise these bylaws are just an exercise in futility. And they have to do it now, not just empty declarations of future intentions! Transfer admin rights over the collegia to their leaders now! There is no need to discuss bylaws, if they will never be implemented technically.

Valete!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Mon May 29, 2017 3:41 pm

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:It is nice that we can write that theoretically any of the two magistri can approve the membership. However the reality is that technically the magistri cannot. They have no control over membership and do not even get notified about new applications. In fact apart from the honor of being listed as leader the magistri have no effective privilegue over any other member. The real leaders of the collegium are the Aediles or maybe just the webmaster.

We have to pressure the admins of this forum to implement technically what the bylaws say. Otherwise these bylaws are just an exercise in futility. And they have to do it now, not just empty declarations of future intentions! Transfer admin rights over the collegia to their leaders now! There is no need to discuss bylaws, if they will never be implemented technically.

Valete!

Lupe amice, the magistri have the power to approve applications. I think you're facing technical problems. Dont assume things like that, you mght end up apreading falsehoods by mistake. See if you are listed as magister of the Collegium Philosophicum. If you are not it is because if that. If you are then it is a technical errror of the system.
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Mon May 29, 2017 4:09 pm

L. Livius Magister omnibus collegis sal.

P. Sexti, teasing out the clauses is not a bad idea, thus:

REGVLA COLLEGII LATINI

C. Flori, rest assured that your difficulties are only a matter of technical administration. As Magister Collegii Latinae (sic), I've long had the ability to accept new members and remove existing ones. I suspect that the Aedilitas simply hasn't confirmed your appointment yet.

Valete.
L. LIVIVS ANI. SENECA
Lucius Livius Seneca
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Praetor Urbanus
Praetor Urbanus

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Mon May 29, 2017 8:57 pm

Salvete Omnes

As I stated in the Collegium Philosophicum about the bylaw voting. Although the time between posts is in days, I would like to see the key Latinists (Adamas, Seneca & Lupus at least) in agreement with the wording of both this Collegii bylaws and that of the Collegium Philosophicum since they have been developing together.

And also in agreement with the corresponding English translation before voting commences,

Valete
Laevus
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Mon May 29, 2017 9:41 pm

Gaius Curtius Philo wrote:Lupe amice, the magistri have the power to approve applications. I think you're facing technical problems. Dont assume things like that, you mght end up apreading falsehoods by mistake. See if you are listed as magister of the Collegium Philosophicum. If you are not it is because if that. If you are then it is a technical errror of the system.

I do not make hasty assumption. I am listed as magister, still I have no access to the control panel of the collegium. My inquiries about this subject in the main forum or to the Curule Aedile went unanswered. Our second magister Cispius Laevus was also unable to approve applications. Is there any collegium leader who is actually able to approve applications?
The system is technically not working, magistrates do not answer inquiries. And nobody realizes it, because nothing gets ever finished here and results only in endless debates like this last discussion in the Senate about Collegia and Societates.

Brutus or whoever is the current webmaster should take things in his hand, fix the technical issues without a Senate session for every detail. And then the bylaws should reflect the actual technical facts.
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Mon May 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Salve Lupe

These website things are frustrating. I have been informed that Brutus is away at the moment. I have been encourage him to get assistance with the site controls. For a short while I was listed as Collegium Philosophicum leader and had membership approval control, so it is possible.

Vale
Laevus
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator

PreviousNext

Return to Collegium Latinum