[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4855: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4857: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4858: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4859: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Roman Republic: Res publica Romana • View topic - De grammaticis

De grammaticis

This collegium provides discussion, lessons, and research for those interested in the cultural language of Rome. | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 4%ABnae/47

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa, Lucia Horatia Adamas

Re: De grammaticis

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:12 pm

Lucius Livius Seneca

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:41 pm

I also believe you were unnecessarily aggressive, Lupe. Seneca has always proven to be miled mannered and a gentleman. No need to take off the gloves like that... We're all civilized people here.

If the others don't want it, I will not be one to go against them. I have no right in this after all, I am just a fan of latin with no ability to ever compare to the likes of you three, Horatia in particular. But I would like to note that I did not find Seneca's proposal absurd and do believe it could have been worked into the system in a perfectly agreeable manner. But, alas, the decision is up to you.
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:27 am

Sorry, Seneca, if I sounded aggressive. I would like to apologize in this case.
I never argue against a person, only against a proposal. I know that you are somebody who is good in getting things done very efficiently, a character trait that I highly appreciate. But this is why I had to oppose it so vehemently. Without drawing attention to the problem, it would probably have passed without anybody thinking the consequences through.

Paying a fee is not a credential. The recognition as grammaticus requires to show some certifications. This is what counts. And it does not go away, when somebody forgets to pay the annual fee. I would prefer your or Horatia's expertise over anyone's else who simply paid the fee to be called "grammaticus". So the title would not be worth much.
We would first need the Republic to enact a lex that bans anybody to translate a text into Latin without being a recognized grammaticus in order for this system to work.

Vale!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:46 am

L. Livius mag. C. Florio sal.

The apology is appreciated, C. Flori. Tone is so very difficult to discern accurately in online media, and I thank you for being one of the few faithful socii dedicated to participating in our Collegium.

A state monopoly on Latin translation work would certainly be advantageous for this and many other potential initiatives of the College. Perhaps lobbying for such is a better initial project for us to pursue?

Vale.
Lucius Livius Seneca

Postby Lucius Florius Brutus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:05 am

Salvete

If, as appears to be the case, all are in agreement that the risk for abuse is sufficiently low, is there any harm done by the proposed fee, aside from the potential to be a deterrent to people signing up? If there is not, is there any reason that it couldn't be enacted as proposed, and, if it doesn't work as intended, the fee removed? It seems like a system that could still work if the fee were removed. As someone who is new here and struggles with Latin, I for one might find myself appreciating RR-credentialed Latinists, whether or not they'd paid for those credentials.

Valete
Lucius Florius Brutus

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:10 am

I would argue there is another harm done. The grammatici would not be rewarded for their work, but punished. So let us do it the other way around first. Let us pay the grammatici a salary first, see if it works and then change it if necessary.
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:26 pm

"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:28 am

This would be an option.

Apart from that I am wondering what the Collegium actually needs money for? Even in the future I cannot think about anything that the fees would be collected for.
..... maybe an annual Saturnalia party or something....
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:14 am

Lucius Livius Seneca

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:28 pm

Gaius Florius Lupus

PreviousNext

Return to Collegium Latinum