[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4855: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4857: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4858: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4859: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Roman Republic: Res publica Romana • View topic - Study Group

Study Group

This collegium provides discussion, lessons, and research for those interested in the cultural language of Rome. | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 4%ABnae/47

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa, Lucia Horatia Adamas

Study Group

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sun May 22, 2016 7:55 pm

Salvete!

Just so I can have a reference of the skill levels present, how long and what skill level do you consider your Latin? With this, I may be better able to provide for the study group. If everyone understands declensions and conjugations, it would be silly to go over it again.

Valete,
Cassia Longina
Gaia Cassia Longina

Re: Study Group

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sun May 22, 2016 8:10 pm

I know declention enough to get by with it. But the rest... xD
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sun May 22, 2016 8:31 pm

So maybe I should begin with verb conjugation?
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sun May 22, 2016 8:35 pm

For ME personally that would be good. Because I only have a rudimentary knowledge of that. But I don't know how much the others know and I'm alright with seeing through the basics if they need it
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sun May 22, 2016 9:02 pm

Wonderful! I shall post my outline of verbs (and nouns for those interested) when I return to Miami in 2 days. If anyone has any concerns or topics they would like to focus on, let me know!
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Mon May 23, 2016 2:10 am

Salvete Omnis

Cassia, perhaps a questionnaire might help sort us out, and help focus the group.
Latin requires a lot of brut memorization that has killed off a lot of first year Latin students.
With what is out on the web, it may be better to provide an overview of tools that are available to the casual student.
Provide a basic understanding of Latin grammar, parts of speech, and that words have inflected endings.

The main problem I had at the beginning was un-morphing words so that I could look them up and making sense of word order. Without having done the memorization, I did not know where to start. One resource that I would recommend is William Whitaker's Words . This site will un-morph words (to what you can look up in your Latin/'whatever' dictionary) and provide English translation. It will handle whole paragraphs of Latin and provide several Latin suggestions for a single English word. If a Latin word could be several different words it will provide you with what declensions of this noun or conjugation of that verb it could be. Some assembly by the user is required.

If you want some text to play with, there is The Latin Library .

When I was sick with the flu last month, and already delirious, I decided to take a homeopathic cure and memorize the remainder of the declensions and came across this fun toy: Dowling's Wheel

Vale
P. Sextius Laevus

Just remember, if taking Latin in school, this irregular verb: 'cheato, cheatere, catchi, flunkum'
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator
Consul
Consul

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Mon May 23, 2016 2:27 am

Salve,

Yes, this is a good idea but I shall provide my texts that I have used as a teacher and tutor for those that are interested. As any other language, yes, memorization is the main basis but once you get past that, it is smooth sailing. I have a list of tools already. I shall post that along with my outlines. They are not like a chapter in Wheelock's! Do not worry!

My main goal with this study group is to provide learning resources and help students with Latin. If they are not interested, of course, just checking out the online sources is wonderful! However, I wish to provide an environment where people can post and ask questions at any level of Latin and I provide the resources and material that is required by the first to the advanced levels of Latin. My goal is to not be so much a teacher, but as a tutor to those interested in advancing their knowledge in Latin.

Laeve, I can help you decline and conjugate words. This is why I am providing my outlines - so that one can print them out, if they wish, and keep them for future references. (: And of course,I am more than willing to help in the thread once I post my outlines. And as always, I am more than willing to help you on a personal basis (to anyone) at anytime! And those sources you list are great! I especially enjoy the Latin Library and the wheel! I loved using those for when I began studying Latin! :D

I hope this answers some of your concerns,

C Cassia Longina
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Wed May 25, 2016 4:31 am

Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Decimus Aurelius Severus » Wed May 25, 2016 5:15 am

I know what Salve and Vale means and that is about it :(
Decimus Aurelius Severus
Decimus Aurelius Severus
Governor of Gallia Mississippia Pronvincia
Governor of Gallia Mississippia Pronvincia

Re: Study Group - Local Real People

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:30 pm

Salvete Omnis

Setting up a local Study Group, real people in a room with coffee and crostata, using a recorded Latin course with on-line help from Cassia would be a way to encourage everyone and a means of bringing them into RR. is a good example (request a catalog and wait for it to go on sale)
Advertise locally or use Meetup.com to start a group.

Vale Laevus
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator
Consul
Consul

Next

Return to Collegium Latinum