[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4855: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4857: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4858: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4859: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Roman Republic: Res publica Romana • View topic - Subordinate Clauses

Subordinate Clauses

This collegium provides discussion, lessons, and research for those interested in the cultural language of Rome. | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 4%ABnae/47

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa, Lucia Horatia Adamas

Subordinate Clauses

Postby Appius Fabius Helenus » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:31 pm

I am trying to understand how to construct subordinate clauses (not relative clauses) using the conjunction "that", as in "I know that...", or "I am happy that..."

The first source I tried to mine was a translation of the Bible ("I know that my redeemer liveth and that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth"), but since that is Vulgar Latin/Medieval Latin, I had reasons to doubt the application of those constructions to Republican and Imperial Rome.

What I found looking around is that the phrase, "I am glad that you know that "lingua latina" is not Spanish" would be:

Me placat, te scire, linguam latinam non linguam hispanicam esse.
Ap. Fabius Helenus
Appius Fabius Helenus

Re: Subordinate Clauses

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:31 am

Salve Hellenes
"Introduction to Latin Prose Composition" by Milena Minkova has a section on subordinate clauses with the 'ut' conjuntion. (http://www.bolchazy.com, 161 pages and I recommend)
Natura fit ut liberi a parentibus amentur. - asan extended suject and
Cura ut valeas. - as an extended object.

There are several on line explanations, one of which is Essential Latin Grammar Clauses , 5.2 & 5.3

I hope these help.

Vale
Laevus
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator
Consul
Consul

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:51 pm

Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:17 am

You may find my lesson on clauses and the subjunctive here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=935
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:37 pm

Salvete Cassia et omnes

In trying to describe The Great Pastry Shop Heist, and to use unusquisque in a complex sentence using the quod conjunction;

1. can be used as the subject of the subordinate clause, with implied reference to fures:

Brutus ipsus fures cepit quod unusquisque pinguis fuit.

2. can it also be used with a plural pronoun subect as an interjection:

Brutus ipsus fures cepit quod ei, unusquisque, pinguis fuerunt.

Valete
Laevus

Unusquisque faber fortunae suae est.
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator
Consul
Consul

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:07 pm

Salve!

Now that is a word that I have never used really!
Gaia Cassia Longina

Return to Collegium Latinum