Roman Clothing - Part 1 & 2

A collegium established as a community of artists and for those who love art - a place where members are free to exhibit their work and provide a space for artistic discussions. http://ecassialonginus.wix.com/collegiumartium | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 0Artium/43

Moderators: Gaius Flavius Aetius, Marca Marcia, Aula Flavia Philippa, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Lucia Galeria Mira

Roman Clothing - Part 1 & 2

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:35 pm

Salvete omnes,

As I continue to work on my dissertation and continue to attempt to run my fashion line, I thought that I would share some of my designs and talk about Roman fashion in the Roman Republic and Early Imperial Ages! I will start with the women's clothing since I have been working on it for the past few years.
Roman clothing is fascinating to learn about - the way they wore their clothes and even the subtle details that could mean a whole world of difference!

Classes

Women's Clothing

Type 1
Roman Fashion 1.jpg
Roman Fashion 1.jpg (30.15 KiB) Viewed 1282 times

On the far left, there is a Greek peplos, however, this was also a style for Roman women. It was fastened at the shoulders by fibulae and could be made to overlay the chest, or not (this example does fold over the chest). Dresses could be fastened with a belt under the breast (shown on the right), on the waist, or both, depending on the wearer's personal taste.
In the middle is a long chiton, similar to a long sleeve tunica (however, short sleeves were also an option). This was a large rectangle of fabric, usually with buttons running up the sleeves to the shoulder and could also be belted.

Type 2
Roman Fashion 2.jpg
Roman Fashion 2.jpg (41.17 KiB) Viewed 1282 times

These are similar to type 1, just with differing details.
On the right is the full ensemble. When a woman married, she wore all of it. On the bottom center is the under- piece. On top of that, she would wear her stola (on the left), and then, as on the right, she would wear her mantle (palla) over all of it!

Remember: these designs are mine and belong to Cassia Longina Designs!

I hope everyone is having a good end of the week!
C Cassia Longina
Gaia Cassia Longina

Re: Roman Clothing - Part 1 & 2

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:56 pm

Salvete!

Sorry about the delay!

Togas

Shoes
Gaia Cassia Longina

Re: Roman Clothing - Part 1 & 2

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:39 pm

Cassia, it looks great! In my opinion, it's a great idea! Keep it up! (=
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator
Sarmatia Magna
Sarmatia Magna
Cultus Mithrae
Cultus Mithrae
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Return to Collegium Artium