Roman Recipes for Cold Nights

A collegium established as a community of artists and for those who love art - a place where members are free to exhibit their work and provide a space for artistic discussions. http://ecassialonginus.wix.com/collegiumartium | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 0Artium/43

Moderators: Gaius Flavius Aetius, Marca Marcia, Aula Flavia Philippa, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Lucia Galeria Mira

Roman Recipes for Cold Nights

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:21 am

Salvete omnes!

As I am visiting Massachusetts this winter, we are having some pretty cold nights - and it's only going to get colder! So, as usual, I was digging around my family's ancient recipes and found a couple to warm up with!

If you're vegetarian, like I am (for a month!), here is a delicious Lentil & Vegetable Soup:
    1 pound lentils
    3 large onions, chopped
    2 leeks, chopped
    6 stalks of celery, diced
    4 purple carrots, diced (orange carrots work too)
    2 cloves of garlic (or more if you like garlic!)
    1/4 cup good olive oil
    1 tablespoon sea salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 bay leaves
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    3 quarts stock (vegetable)
    2 tablespoons red wine or red wine vinegar
    Freshly grated Parmesan cheese or a similar sharp-flavor cheese

My Instructions (easier than the Roman)
In a bowl, cover the lentils with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn off the heat and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain.
In a large pan on medium heat, saute the onions, leeks, and garlic with the olive oil and spices for 10-15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Add the celery and carrots and saute for 10 more minutes.
In the pot with the lentils, add the stock and vegetables. Cover and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add the red wine and served with the grated Parmesan and some crusty bread.

You can also add sausage to this and make it quite good!

"Many Garlic-Clove Chicken"
    3-4 whole heads garlic
    2 large chickens (or your favorite parts like the legs, breast, wings...)
    Salt
    2 cups dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons of butter (I added it to the original recipe)
    2 tablespoons olive oil\
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons heavy cream (I added it to the original)
    1 bay leaf
Separate the cloves of garlic and drop them into a pot of boiling water for 60 seconds until they are tenderized. Drain the garlic and peel.
Dry the chicken with paper towels. Season well with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the butter and oil in a large pot. In batches, sauté the chicken in the fat, until nicely browned.
Once the chicken is done, add all of the garlic to the pot. Lower the heat and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes, until evenly browned. Add 2 tablespoons of the wine, return to a boil. Return the chicken to the pot with the juices and 1 cup of wine and sprinkle with the thyme leaves and add the bay leaf. Cover and simmer over the lowest heat for about 30 minutes, until all the chicken is done.
In a small bowl, whisk together 1⁄2 cup of the sauce and the flour and then whisk it back into the sauce in the pot. Raise the heat, add the remaining wine and cream, and boil for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste; it should be very flavorful because chicken tends to be bland. Pour the sauce and the garlic over the chicken and serve hot.

Mulled Spiced Red Wine
    8 whole cloves
    4 whole black peppercorns
    4 strips fresh orange zest
    4 cups dry red wine (from two bottles)
    1 1/2 cups water
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
    Garnish: cinnamon sticks
Put cloves, peppercorns, and zest on cheesecloth, then tie closed to form a bag.
Combine wine, water, sugar, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean, and cheesecloth bag in a 4-quart saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring. Simmer 10 minutes. Serve warm.

What are your favorite winter meals?

Stay warm!
C Cassia Longina
Gaia Cassia Longina

Return to Collegium Artium