The Virtue of Persistence

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus, Lucius Livius Seneca, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Tiberia Salvia Alba

The Virtue of Persistence

Postby Gaius Florius Aetius » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:30 am

Ah youth. I somehow never have been young. I was born an old man. Even as a kid, I always did things slow, I was shying away from hectic, loud and strongly emotional setups.

But youth... it is the straw fire of pure enthusiasm, burning hot now, being ash a moment later. Mind you my friends, this is no blame on anyone, though some may feel like it. It is a thought... a lesson if you wish.

I am old enough that I have more days behind me than in front of me. And when you reach that age, you decide that what you join now you will stick to until your last day on Earth, unless some really big, earth shattering things would happen. You burn your steady coal fire. I have build groups and led groups and joined groups and I know all the ups and downs, the high and low times. I left at low times when I was young, myself. Or when my outside problems seemed to overwhelm me. Or just when the shiny seemed to have worn off, and the group had become everyday work.

In a way, it is like people have relationships today, alas, all too often. They marry only when there is Hollywood Style love, deep passion, and when that passion is not as strong, and when the everyday work comes up, the chores, or some problem arises, they go. It is... a weakness of our time, and I cannot blame any especially of the younger people to be influenced by the current of our time. But I DO see it as a weakness of character, that far I need to be blunt.

Think of all the great things that have been built. From Rome itself, over its conquests, its cities and architecture, the great wonders of the past, the works of poety, philosophy or politics. Do you think they were all always just exciting and cool events? No. Much of it was mundane work, dedication, discipline and the will and readiness to dedicate one's life to an idea. Marriages held, because people swore to stay together "in good and bad times". Now, so easy and so quickly, people go back to find some "new toy".

And then there are people who have real difficulties. Someone falls ill. A personal tragedy happens. And everyone who has any level of compassion can sympathize that such things throw you out of the orbit. But how were the lives of Cicero, of Cato, of Caesar or Plutarch? They had children dying, they had all they loved turned upside down. They had immeasurable difficulties. But did they quit being Roman? Did they just forsake their loyalities? No. For that is not what a Roman does. He does not emphazise his personal suffering or regards his sadness so large, as to quit. Yes, sometimes we step back to be normal citizens again. We fall back into silent "just being around". But quit? Did Cicero quit? No. We upheld these idols in times of comfort and ease, so is it not prudent that I say: ok but if you said, those are your idols, and what is that worth, if you leave that behind in times of trouble? The Romans of old had ALL imaginable manifestations of trouble. But they remained loyal to their often lonely, thankless posts. Sometimes banished, sometimes serving Rome all alone far away in dangerous lands without any comforts.

We Romans today are not even remotely that demanding. So I understand even less why people come and go. You see how important our cause is, for once, then how does it come, what you once understood becomes lost to you? Look at the world around you. It is getting darker by the day, there is chaos, division, nihilism, disunity and an imminent fall of Western Identity in many places. What greater, what better set of ideas to battle all these ills, than being Roman? And if one way within it no longer suits you, make a break, find another way within it. Rome is vast, there are ways and things for all kind of interests.

And let me speak here as a German Roman for now. Germans have for the longest time been very individualistic - or seperatistic. Every clan, every tribe, every valley was fending for itself. And so for a long time, the Germans were easy prey for every strong and united neighbouring nation, until we learned that only united we can achieve things. That often demands compromise, and sometimes to just sit out one or two boring years where almost nothing happens. Years were you will be tossed back to yourself, because activity is not as it was in the years of hayday. Such is the cyclical nature of things. Like the seasons turn, so does activity rise and fall and return. But those cycles last years and you have to have patience and persistence. You can do almost anything within the Roman way, there is so much freedom, so many things you can do. Or even do nothing really for a time, if you are occupied. But this leaving is somethig I do not get.

I see the world, the Western World especially, in mortal threat, and in the face of this huge challange, I have put my eggs in the Roman basket, and with my age, that will likely be the last journey I ever begin, and that is ok, for I see the revival of Rome as the best chance for the West to revive itself and to survive; and how could just a vital task ever not be important? How could that large duty even be greater than any personal issues, so I should forsake it?

If some feel critizised by this, it was really not my purpose. But the Roman Communities are dear to me, and I find them of great value and importance, greater maybe even, then many can see for now, for Rome is indeed the root of all our Western Cultures. And when I see the task so big, so important, and the chances so vast, how can I not speak up in times were some people have all reasons to move on and forsake the idea they once cherished. The Fall of Rome was THE greatest tragedy of the Western Culture, and keeping up its values I see as the greatest duty for all of us, and while my health and powers allow me, I will do it in the niches I feel capable in. There are plenty of niches, small and big. Rome is worth of our dedication and our persistence, for that is what made Rome.

Vale,

G. Florius Aetius
Advice is judged by results, not by intentions.

- Cicero
Gaius Florius Aetius
Apollinis Sacerdos
Apollinis Sacerdos

Return to Main Forum