Imperial Cult

The Roman Republic book club! This group provides a center for book discussion and recommendations for those interested in the cultural and literary tradition and history of Rome. Join this collegium by logging into your Roman Republic account then clicking here: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... ibrorum/58

Moderators: Marcus Livius Horatius, Octavius Aurelius Augustus, Gaia Cassia Longina, Postumus Galerius Galba

Imperial Cult

Postby Gaius Valerius Scipio » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:22 am

Does anyone have any books on the Imperial cult that I can use for my rituals? I would like to honor the Emperors properly, the good one's at least.

Gods guide you

C Valerius Scipio
Do not yield to misfortunes, but advance more boldly to meet them, as your fortune permits you.
Gaius Valerius Scipio

Re: Imperial Cult

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:43 am

Gaius Valerius Scipio wrote:Does anyone have any books on the Imperial cult that I can use for my rituals? I would like to honor the Emperors properly, the good one's at least.

Gods guide you

C Valerius Scipio

A good book to understand the logic behind Emperor Worship and its history is: Emperor Worship, by Ittai Gradel
"Ignis aurum probat"
C. Curtius L. f. Tribu Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Appius Iunius Laterensis » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:46 am

Salve

You can use this book and adjust it according to your need:
https://www.amazon.com/Roman-Imperial-C ... erial+cult

Vale
APPIVS IVNIVS LATERENSIS
Appius Iunius Laterensis
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:13 am

Appius Iunius Laterensis wrote:Salve

Vale

Salve,

The problem with that very short book is a total lack of citations. So use it with some caution.

The author is a founder of NR... Who knows what is legit research or Cassius' imagination.

I heard form reputable sources that the scholars of the Roman Republic are working on a landmark guidebook for the CDR. Maybe this book with speak to the imperial cult?

Vale
Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas
Cereris Sacerdos
Cereris Sacerdos

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:54 pm

Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas wrote:
Appius Iunius Laterensis wrote:Salve

Vale

Salve,

The problem with that very short book is a total lack of citations. So use it with some caution.

The author is a founder of NR... Who knows what is legit research or Cassius' imagination.

I heard form reputable sources that the scholars of the Roman Republic are working on a landmark guidebook for the CDR. Maybe this book with speak to the imperial cult?

Vale

I will most likely explain the idea of Emperor Worship in the guidebook and show where it came from (it didnt come from Greece as some postulated, or if it did it simply incentivize a preexisting native roman tendency). The worship itself wouldnt really be different from that of other Gods, though I mostly find the worship of a Living Emperor to have more sense then a dead one, unless there is reasons to believe said Emperor to have ascended to divinity (which I believe some great Emperors could have), but that's just my view of the subject. It is a pretty complex theme that enters into shock with the common english meaning of the words "God" and "Divine", which were INCREDIBLY MORE flexible for the Romans then to modern english speakers. To understand Emperor Worship, we must discard the judeo-christian understanding of these words and assume the Roman understanding.
"Ignis aurum probat"
C. Curtius L. f. Tribu Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Return to Schola Librorum