Discussing Immolatio - Stage V [SOCIETAS NUMAEA]

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Discussing Immolatio - Stage V [SOCIETAS NUMAEA]

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:43 pm

Brutus sal.

As Decurio Maior of the Societas Numaea (http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 0Numaea/50) I would like to move our ongoing conversation along to discussing Immolatio. This is arguably the most important stage of any Roman ceremony. In antiquity, it involved animal sacrifice, but by consensus, we have included non-animal sacrifice as being part of modern immolatio.

Just to recap. The Societas Numaea has been founded to create a standardized ceremonial text for the sacra publica. This text is to be as historically mindful as possible. See http://www.romanrepublic.org/forum/view ... ?f=7&t=531

Through consensus on our research the Societas Numaea has determined that all ceremonies within this publication are to have the following "stages":

Code: Select all

I. Purificatio - purification of self, offerings, altar with water

II. Praefatio - address (+/- offerings of wine / incense) to Ianus and Vesta. Light any fires/burners on altar

III. Salutatio - Here additional deities are invited to attend the ceremony and are greeted, this always includes the primary deities receiving an offering, but includes others as well. Here offerings of wine or incense are often made, each deity is addressed individually and receives an individual libation or offering of incense

IV. Precatio - 4 PARTS:
(I) Address the primary deity/deities being honored (offerings of wine/incense made)
(II) Statement made explaining why the sacrifice is occurring
(III) present what is being offered
(IV) statement regarding the desired result(s) from the ceremony

V. Immolatio - Make the primary sacrifice to the deity/deities being honored

VI. Redditio - (Optional) Here any additional offerings to the deities invited to attend the ceremony occur

VII. Piaculum - Statements made to each deity addressed in ceremony for reparation for any unnoticed error in the ceremony. Vesta is always addressed last.

What do you think should be included within this stage? What are the essential components?

Before commenting I encourage you to read the thread discussing the preceding stage Precatio here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=682
Publius Iunius Brutus
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Return to Cultus Deorum Romanorum