Gods and spirits of place

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Gods and spirits of place

Postby Numerius Antonius Paullus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:25 am

Salve!

Pardon my naivety when it comes to this matter but since I am new to learning about the Cultus I have a very interesting question that perhaps could be posed and discussed. I live in Oregon, Springfield to be more specific and I am surrounded by mighty rivers and forests. If I remember my mythology correct, many rivers had a spirt that resided in them, or a god that would call it home. So would those spirits be the same as those from the mythos, I apologize if I forget the proper name for said spirits of place. Would that mean there is a god/goddess/spirit of the Willamate, Columbia, McKenzie rivers here about with namesakes that have yet to be put down in the annals of the Cultus or would there be a spirit already there with a name that is known.

I know this may seem like an odd question to pose but it has been on my mind as I begin to learn more about the Roman Way and how I fit into it spiritually and intellectually. Thank you for your time and consideration on this matter.

Vale!

N. Antonius Paullus
Numerius Antonius Paullus

Re: Gods and spirits of place

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Salve Paulle!

Yes, each river and each place have its own particular god. Rivers tend to be male gods. The names of these gods might be known to native americans where you live or, if not, can be the name of the river itself or a derived term. If all else fsil, a deity from a place can be addressed as "be you god or goddess, by whatever name you prefer".
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Numerius Antonius Paullus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:45 pm

Thank you! This is something that has facinated me and I find it facinsting! It is good to know that my thoughts of Willamite and such are deities I can acknowledge

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:48 pm

Yes, you can and are encouraged to if you feel drawn to it! You could look up how romans cultivated river gods like Tiberinus ( the River Tiber) and try to adopt a similar approach in a local level. If you do, please post here your results and how it went!
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:11 pm

It is said that along the shoreline of the great river Danube, when the world wass in the tight grip of a cold winter and the river was covered with ice, one to hear the River God groaning in anguish all through the night! Today, the groans are associated with the cracking and shifting of the ice floes on the river. However, we know how the river Danube raged through the lower canyons and ripped away the wooden road abutments, built there by the legions, and carried away anything else the water or ice could reach. Obviously the work of the River God as he awoke from the cold winter's blast and once again exercised his strength and command of the river Danube!

Respectfully Submitted;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Postby Numerius Antonius Paullus » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:49 pm

Salve!

Thank you all for the kind words of help! This is something I will be investigating and digging into the myths and legends of the Pacific Northwest in an effort to find a name or spirit. I will keep all of you updated on my progress. May Fortuna bless this endevor!

Postby Numerius Antonius Paullus » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:16 am

Salvete Omnes!

It is indeed very nice to speak to all of you again. I will be writing something a little bit more in depth about the local mytholigies and their linkages with the current CDR connections. Such as which deities and spirits are most like our Roman ones, which are truly unique in the province of Pacifica.

To follow up with my questions of spirits of place I have done some research. The Willamatte River does not have a specific deity or spirit associated with it as far as the local native groups go. The name of the river comes from the name of the valley that the river flows through. The native groups called the Willamatte Valley, the 'Valley of Death' due to the high concentrations of grasses and other plants. Most native groups did not live full time in the valley proper due to the high pollen content during some seasons that would make many sick.

This does lead to a very facinating question. If there is a spirit or god associated with the river, could it perhaps be one of the spirits or gods that guard the underworld considering the native nomenclature of the valley itself?

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:09 pm

Numerius Antonius Paullus wrote:Salvete Omnes!

It is indeed very nice to speak to all of you again. I will be writing something a little bit more in depth about the local mytholigies and their linkages with the current CDR connections. Such as which deities and spirits are most like our Roman ones, which are truly unique in the province of Pacifica.

To follow up with my questions of spirits of place I have done some research. The Willamatte River does not have a specific deity or spirit associated with it as far as the local native groups go. The name of the river comes from the name of the valley that the river flows through. The native groups called the Willamatte Valley, the 'Valley of Death' due to the high concentrations of grasses and other plants. Most native groups did not live full time in the valley proper due to the high pollen content during some seasons that would make many sick.

This does lead to a very facinating question. If there is a spirit or god associated with the river, could it perhaps be one of the spirits or gods that guard the underworld considering the native nomenclature of the valley itself?

It is possible. And places that brought death to others mysteriously tended to be connected with the Underworld. But there is no way to be sure. I'd suggest you ask an augur to take auspices on the matter. To see if this God would like to be represented as connected with death.
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Numerius Antonius Paullus » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:23 pm

[/quote]It is possible. And places that brought death to others mysteriously tended to be connected with the Underworld. But there is no way to be sure. I'd suggest you ask an augur to take auspices on the matter. To see if this God would like to be represented as connected with death.[/quote]

Salve!

Thank you for your advice. Do you have any person you recommend? Would that person have to be local?

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:05 am

Numerius Antonius Paullus wrote:
It is possible. And places that brought death to others mysteriously tended to be connected with the Underworld. But there is no way to be sure. I'd suggest you ask an augur to take auspices on the matter. To see if this God would like to be represented as connected with death.[/quote]

Salve!

Thank you for your advice. Do you have any person you recommend? Would that person have to be local?[/quote]

Maybe C. Claudius Quadratus or P. Iunius Brutus. Both are very trustworthy and official augurs
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Next