Non-Animal Sacrifice in Antiquity

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Non-Animal Sacrifice in Antiquity

Postby Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Some thoughts on non-animal Roman sacrifice and substitutes from - Roman Sacrice, Inside and Out by C. Schultz.

Any comments on non-animal sacrifice and substitutes used today by cultores?
Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas

Re: Non-Animal Sacrifice in Antiquity

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Salve!

Yes, this is the basis upon much of the work of the Societas Numaea. We have developed a ceremonial protocol that allows substitution of non-animal offerings where animal sacrifice occurred traditionally. As this article demonstrates this is not our invention but an accepted ancient practice.

I would be interested to see if anyone manufactures clay representations of animals. If so then they would be traditional and possible proxies.

One question that comes up often on this topic is if mola salsa should be used in these cases of substitution. Anyone have any educated thoughts on this matter?

valete.
L. CURTIUS PHILO COS. SEN.
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Postby Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:09 am

Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:19 am

Salve!

You present some very compelling ancient adaptations (With evidence!) which easily convert into our modern day. Well done! I have purchased some of the votive figures you suggested.

On the question of mola salsa, for a long time many experienced cultores were saying non-animal offerings do not require mola salsa. For a long time I followed this suggestion. But I am starting to doubt this being traditionally correct.

Here is the problem. We have very limited written sources on non-animal offerings. This said we know they occurred. They were also probably much more common from a practical standpoint. We know about animal offerings because they were more grand and expensive thus written about. Because of this problem we need to work harder to sort out evidence for non-animal offerings.

But in Ovid's Fasti there is compelling evidence mola salsa was used for non-animal sacrifice in Book 1.127-8. There is says; "but when the priest offers me a barley cake and spelt mingled with salt, you would laugh to hear the names he gives me, for on his sacrificial lips I’m now Patulcius and now Clusius called."

Spelt + salt = mola salsa?
Barley cake = non-animal offering

From this I am starting to think mola salsa ceremoniously transfers anything, animal, vegetable, grain or object to the divine.

My clever friend, what do you think?

vale.
L. CURTIUS PHILO COS. SEN.
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Postby Lucius Metilius Niger » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:22 pm

figurine de bélier de sacrifice
en pâte d'amande
Notre 1er rite public du Cultus Deorum Romanorum

Figurine of sacrifice ram
In almond paste
our first Public Rite of CDR

association PHARIA - Nîmes - Mai 2015
Lucius Metilius Niger

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:17 am

Brutus sal.

Wonderful discussion, information, and resources! I too have bought some of the wooden figures. I think this is a very good practical everyday solution to the question of animal sacrifice within the modern Sacra Publica.

Gratias tibi!
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur