Where to buy a statue of Emperor Julian?

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Where to buy a statue of Emperor Julian?

Postby Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Salvete!

I view Emperor Julian as the spiritual founder of CDR restorationism. Because of this I desire to have a statue or bust of this great man in my home. But I have failed to find a place to buy one. Does anyone know where I can find one? I would be very grateful!

I found a 3D scan of his famious statue. I think I might get this 3D printed if I can't find an image for sale. If I did this I would offer these printed replicas for sale with profits going to the Republic. But that's a lot of work. So if you know someone already making replicas please let me know! No need to reinvent the wheel!

https://sketchfab.com/models/3f3d4dae76 ... 12b070c9d#

Valete!
Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas

Re: Where to buy a statue of Emperor Julian?

Postby Appius Claudius Tuscus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:10 am

Salve, Tiberii Cilnii —

Were you to get such a maquette 3D-printed, I'd be interested to buy one (if affordable!). Julian's story, even in its sad conclusion, shines out of history like few others.

I should mention that while we use this image as one of him, it is argued that it is not in fact an image of him, but of a priest — a legend on the site displaying the 3D image says this:

"En fait il ne s’agit pas de l’empereur Julien, mais d’un prêtre de Sérapis, comme l’indique sa couronne." (English: In fact, it is not of the emperor Julian, but of a priest of Serapis, as his crown identifies him.)

Nonetheless, in most minds this image resonates as the one of Julian II, the unlikely philosopher-emperor of Late Rome.

Vale.
Appius Claudius Tuscus

Postby Marcus Aelius Adiutor » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Salve, Tiberii Clinii

I would be very interested in reading a biography of Julian. If you have a particular one you recommend, I would appreciate it.

Vale.
Marcus Aelius Adiutor

Postby Appius Claudius Tuscus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:44 am

Salve, M. Aelii -

There are a number of biographies. I myself have read these:

The Emperor Julian Nov 1978
by Robert Browning Language: English
ISBN-10: 0520037316 ISBN-13: 978-0520037311
I read it via a library copy.

The Last Pagan: Julian the Apostate and the Death of the Ancient World Apr 18, 2008
by Adrian Murdoch Language: English
ISBN-10: 1594772266 ISBN-13: 978-1594772269
Affordable used.

There is also a fictionalized biography - and it was the work that introduced me to Julian - by Gore Vidal, which is wonderful in itself:

Julian Dec 12, 1985
by Gore Vidal Language: English
ISBN-10: 0345329082 ISBN-13: 978-0345329080

Beyond this, a number of his works survived the reaction against him, thanks in large part (I am told) to quotes preserved by his detractors. See the Loeb Classical Library (Greek and English).
Appius Claudius Tuscus

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:54 am

Salvete Omnis

There is a free online version of the Loeb English/Greek book The Works of the Emperor
Julian
https://ryanfb.github.io/loebolus-data/L157.pdf that has a good over view and in this volume, his letters.

Vale
P. Sextius Laevus
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaius Cominius Laenas » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 am

All of Julian's surviving works are here - http://romanrepublic.org/bibliotheca/wi ... urces.html
Gaius Cominius Laenas
Senator
Senator

Postby Marcus Aelius Adiutor » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Thank you all for the recommendations.

Vale.
Marcus Aelius Adiutor

Postby Gaius Valerius Scipio » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:07 am

I found a website that specifically made Emperor Julian statues. I will go see if I can't find it again and get back to you if I encounter with any success.
The gods command me to sanctify my every action, and I obey them with all my soul, and they assure me of great benefits from my enterprise, if only I persist.
Gaius Valerius Scipio
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Postby Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:03 am

Gaius Valerius Scipio wrote:I found a website that specifically made Emperor Julian statues. I will go see if I can't find it again and get back to you if I encounter with any success.

Any luck? I would love this link.
Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas

Postby Gaius Valerius Scipio » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas wrote:
Gaius Valerius Scipio wrote:I found a website that specifically made Emperor Julian statues. I will go see if I can't find it again and get back to you if I encounter with any success.

Any luck? I would love this link.

I checked the website again and it seems that they aren't producing them anymore sadly. Sorry I couldn't help you more in this endeavor amice.
The gods command me to sanctify my every action, and I obey them with all my soul, and they assure me of great benefits from my enterprise, if only I persist.
Gaius Valerius Scipio
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Next

Return to Cultus Deorum Romanorum