Morning and Nighttime Larium Prayers for the Iunia Bruta Family

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Morning and Nighttime Larium Prayers for the Iunia Bruta Family

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Brutus sal.

Above is a picture of my Lararium before sunrise.

Below is a copy of the lararium prayer we use at my household. This simple prayer addresses the Penates of my household, Iupiter, Iuno, Mars, Minerva, Ceres, Fortuna, Venus and Asclepius. The prayer also addresses the Lares of the home, the Genius and Iuno of the heads of my family, and the Manes of my ancestors. An offering is not always made, but is an optional component during salutatio. Precatio is an optional phase and where a more elaborate offering is made to a deity or deities that are important to that particular day.

Feel free to modify for your own uses if you wish. I am happy to answer any questions be may have.

I. Purificatio

[head to be covered capite velato as this is a Roman rite]

May this water cleanse my body of impurities, as lead is changed to gold. May this water cleanse my body of impurities, as the rain cleanses the air. Purify my mind. Purify my body. Purify my heart. It is so.

(Wash hands in bowl filled with fresh water and dry hands)

II. Praefatio

Mother Vesta, (adoratio gesture) virgin of the hearth, or by whatever name you please, be hallowed. Join us and attend to this [household/family] today. As you protected the heaths and families of our ancestors, protect me and my family today. I humbly ask that you may bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

(Light lamp) [light charcoal if being used in ceremony]

Father Ianus, (adoratio gesture) sower of the years, two faced good creator, father of the Gods, and divine caretaker, or by whatever name you please, be hallowed. It is right and proper, begins our prayers in your divine name. As you opened doors to the almighty Gods and Goddesses in the past, open doors to the divine on this new day, a new beginning, provided by you. May Your benevolence in opening this doorway facilitate communication with Yourself, and all the Gods and Goddesses. Watch over me and this [household/family] as a new day dawns through your divine benevolence. I humbly ask that you may bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:

[Oh Father Ianus, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.]

{MAKE OFFERING}

It is done]

OPTIONAL:

[Oh Mother Vesta, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.

{MAKE OFFERING}

It is done]

III. Salutatio

Greetings divine Father Iupiter! (adoratio gesture) Iupiter Opimus Maximus, saviour, unconquered victor, striking, bringer of light, heavenly thunderer, of lighting, and defence! By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty bless this [household / family]. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor today as a new day begins. I humbly ask that you may bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
[Iupiter Optimus Maximus, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Iuno! (adoratio gesture) Iuno Regina, the bringer of light, matron of honor, Queen of heaven and the Gods, By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
[Iuno Regina, Towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Father Mars! (adoratio gesture) Mars victorious and marching! By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
[Father Mars, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Minerva! (adoratio gesture) Minerva, powerful in arms, grey-eyed hostess, physician, divine wisdom, and bearer of peace. By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
[Grey-eyed Minerva, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Ceres! (adoratio gesture) Ceres golden bearer of crops and growth, of abundance and fertility, maternal progenitoress! By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
[Golden Ceres, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Venus! (adoratio gesture) Venus changer of hearts, golden friend, indulgent Goddess who delivers blessings and love. By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
[Indulgent Venus, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Father Asclepius! (adoratio gesture) Asclepius, son of Apollo and healer of sicknesses! Bright Asklepios, father of physicians, provider of health and healing! By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
[Great healer Asclepius, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Fortuna! (adoratio gesture) Fortuna enduring, blessed, preserving, changing, conductress, provider, restorer, and bountiful Goddess. By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
[Blessed Fortuna, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings Household Lares! (adoratio gesture) By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
[Blessed Lares, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Oh, Genius of the Paterfamilas of this household (adoratio gesture), of wisdom and guidance. By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon [PATERFAMILAS NAME] in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon [PATERFAMILAS NAME] as they go to fulfill the duties and tasks of this new day. In doing so may this family be strengthened with virtue.

OPTIONAL:
[Blessed Genius, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Oh, Iuno of the Materfamilas of this household (adoratio gesture), of wisdom and guidance. By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon [MATERFAMILAS NAME] in the past, may you offer your favour at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon [MATERFAMILAS NAME] as they go to fulfil the duties and tasks of this new day. In doing so may this family be strengthened with virtue.

OPTIONAL:
[Blessed Iuno, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings honorable ancestral Manes (adoratio gesture)! By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. [LIST DECEASED FAMILY MEMBER NAMES] Your great deeds and virtue is recalled fondly and with great esteem. As you bestowed your blessings upon this family over the generations, may you offer your favor at the present. May bestow your blessing upon me, [my spouse, my children,] my home, and my household as we embark on this new day. May our actions and deeds bring further honor to the family you lovingly tended and bequeathed to me.

OPTIONAL:
[Honored ancestral Manes, [LIST DECEASED FAMILY MEMBERS HERE] towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

May all the Gods and Goddesses note these words spoken.

IV. Precatio (OPTIONAL)

[OPTIONAL OFFERING TO PARTICULAR DEITY OF THE DAY]
(wash hands in pure water)
(place offering on altar)
Oh blessed [deity] [epithets], (adoratio gesture) for these reasons, towards this aim, in recognition of your benevolence, and if it pleases you, accept this offering of {NAME OF OFFERING} which I have placed before you and will give unto you.

[place offering on altar]

[touching the altar with the left hand say]

Oh, {PRIMARY DIETY NAME}, if this offering of {DESCRIPTION OF OFFERING} pleases you, offer your aid towards {STATE THE GENERAL HELP DESIRED IN RETURN}. Great {PRIMARY NAME}, if you will it, {SPECIFIC OUTCOME DESIRED FROM ORFFERING}.

OPTIONAL IF VOW MADE:
[ Divine {PRIMARY NAME}, if you are willing, assist in fulfilling this petition by {TIME WHEN REQUEST IS TO BE FULFILLED}, in doing so, and in observation of your benevolence and kind patronage,{SPECIFIC ADDITIONAL OFFERING TO BE MADE IF VOW IS FULFILLED} shall be offered to you before {TIME WHEN OFFERING WILL BE MADE IF VOW FULFILLED}. Oh, {PRIMARY NAME}, make it so!
[present the vow in written form on the altar] ]

V. Immolatio

(wash hands again in pure water)

[Deity] [epithets] (adoratio). We offer you this [offering] now given up to you and towards the appeal made.
[touch/burn offering]
It has been done!

VI. Litatio
Quietly contemplate the Gods and Goddesses for a moment, and watch for signs. Preferably performed while sitting

VII. Piaculum

Blessed (Ianus / Iupiter / Iuno / Mars / Minerva / Ceres / Venus / Asclepius / Fortuna / Lares / Manes ) if this appeal
[OPTIONAL IF APPROPRIATE: and offering] has caused unbeknownst offense, please accept my deep regret and recall my good intentions towards you.

OPTIONAL:
[Divine [deity name] towards this end accept this additional offering of [offering] which I place before you, as a sign of my reverence and good will towards you.
(make offering)]

Mother Vesta, or unless you prefer some other name, thanks and honor is to be given to you for providing your flame during this ceremony.

Blessed Vesta if this appeal [OPTIONAL IF APPROPRIATE: and offering] has caused unbeknownst offense, please accept my deep regret and recall my good intentions towards you.

OPTIONAL:
[Divine Motther Vesta towards this end accept this additional offering of [offering] which I place before you, as a sign of my reverence and good will towards you.
(make offering)]

(blow out lamp)

All Gods and Goddesses, observe that good intentioned prayers were made, go forth with me and this family as we now embark upon the duties of this new day!

(wash hands again in water and dry them)

Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Re: Morning Larium Prayers for the Iunia Bruta Family

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Here is the corresponding night time Lararium prayer with an optional component for any vows fulfilled throughout the day.

I. Purificatio

May this water cleanse my body of impurities, as lead is changed to gold. May this water cleanse my body of impurities, as the rain cleanses the air. Purify my mind. Purify my body. Purify my heart. It is so.

II. Praefatio

Mother Vesta, (adoratio gesture) virgin of the hearth, or by whatever name you please, be hallowed. Join us and attend to this [household/family] throughout the night. As you protected the heaths and families of our ancestors, protect me and my family during the darkness of night. Towards this I humbly ask that you may bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

Father Ianus, (adoratio gesture) sower of the years, two faced good creator, father of the Gods, and divine caretaker, or by whatever name you please, be hallowed. It is right and proper, begins our prayers in your divine name. As you opened doors to the almighty Gods and Goddesses in the past, open doors to the divine on this end of a day, a new end to allow a new begining, provided by you. May Your benevolence in opening this doorway facilitate communication with Yourself, and all the Gods and Goddesses. Watch over me and this [household/family] as this day draws to a close through your divine benevolence. I humbly ask that you may bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:

[Oh Father Ianus, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.]

{MAKE OFFERING}

It is done]

OPTIONAL:

[Oh Mother Vesta, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.

{MAKE OFFERING}

It is done]

III. Salutatio

Greetings divine Father Iupiter! (adoratio gesture) Iupiter Opimus Maximus, saviour, unconquered victor, striking, bringer of light, heavenly thunderer, of lighting, and defence! By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty bless this [household / family] throughout the night. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor tonight as this day ends. I humbly ask that you may bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household as we sleep and await a new day.

OPTIONAL:
[Iupiter Optimus Maximus, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Iuno! (adoratio gesture) Iuno Regina, the bringer of light, matron of honor, Queen of heaven and the Gods, By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] throughout the night. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household as we sleep and await a new day.

OPTIONAL:
[Iuno Regina, Towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Father Mars! (adoratio gesture) Mars victorious and marching! By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] throughout the night. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household as we sleep and await a new day.

OPTIONAL:
[Father Mars, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Minerva! (adoratio gesture) Minerva, powerful in arms, grey-eyed hostess, physician, divine wisdom, and bearer of peace. By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] throughout the night. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household as we sleep and await a new day.

OPTIONAL:
[Grey-eyed Minerva, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Ceres! (adoratio gesture) Ceres golden bearer of crops and growth, of abundance and fertility, maternal progenitoress! By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] throughout the night. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household as we sleep and await a new day.

OPTIONAL:
[Golden Ceres, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Venus! (adoratio gesture) Venus changer of hearts, golden friend, indulgent Goddess who delivers blessings and love. By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] throughout the night. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household as we sleep and await a new day.

OPTIONAL:
[Indulgent Venus, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Father Asclepius! (adoratio gesture) Asclepius, son of Apollo and healer of sicknesses! Bright Asklepios, father of physicians, provider of health and healing! By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] throughout the night. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household as we sleep and await a new day.

OPTIONAL:
[Great healer Asclepius, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Fortuna! (adoratio gesture) Fortuna enduring, blessed, preserving, changing, conductress, provider, restorer, and bountiful Goddess. By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] throughout the night. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household as we sleep and await a new day.

OPTIONAL:
[Blessed Fortuna, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings Household Lares! (adoratio gesture) By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] throughout the night. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household as we sleep and await a new day.

OPTIONAL:
[Blessed Lares, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

May all the Gods and Goddesses note these words spoken and provide quiet comfort, rest, health and tranquility thought the night.

IV. Precatio (OPTIONAL)

[OPTIONAL OFFERING TO PARTICULAR DEITY FOR FULFILMENT OF A VOW MADE IN THE MORNING

Oh, Divine {PRIMARY NAME}, in assisting towards the vow made, in doing so, and in observation of your benevolence and kind patronage, {SPECIFIC ADDITIONAL OFFERING TO BE MADE IF VOW IS FULFILLED} is now offered to you. Oh, almighty {PRIMARY NAME}, this vow is to be fulfilled and we give you great thanks and recognize your benevolent patronage!

V. Immolatio

[Deity] [epithets] (adoratio). We offer you this [offering] now given up to you and towards the vow made.
[touch/burn offering]

It has been done! The vow made to you is now fulfilled!

VI. Litatio
Quietly contemplate the Gods and Goddesses for a moment, and watch for signs. Preferably performed while sitting

VII. Piaculum

Blessed (Ianus / Iupiter / Iuno / Mars / Minerva / Ceres / Venus / Asclepius / Fortuna / Lares / Manes ) if this appeal
[OPTIONAL IF APPROPRIATE: and offering] has caused unbeknownst offense, please accept my deep regret and recall my good intentions towards you.

OPTIONAL:
[Divine [deity name] towards this end accept this additional offering of [offering] which I place before you, as a sign of my reverence and good will towards you.
(make offering)]

Mother Vesta, or unless you prefer some other name, thanks and honor is to be given to you for providing your flame during this ceremony.

Blessed Vesta if this appeal [OPTIONAL IF APPROPRIATE: and offering] has caused unbeknownst offense, please accept my deep regret and recall my good intentions towards you.

OPTIONAL:
[Divine Motther Vesta towards this end accept this additional offering of [offering] which I place before you, as a sign of my reverence and good will towards you.
(make offering)]

(blow out lamp)

All Gods and Goddesses, observe that good intentioned prayers were made, look kindly upon this dutiful and pious family that now rests secure in consequence of your divine benevolence.

Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Re: Morning and Nighttime Larium Prayers for the Iunia Bruta Family

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:16 pm

Salvete!

Very nice, thank you for sharing.

I would like to invite other cultores to share their regular sacra privata ceremonies and prayers. These are great resources to improve and create your own such domestic practices!

valete.
L. CURTIUS PHILO COS. SEN.
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Re: Morning and Nighttime Larium Prayers for the Iunia Bruta Family

Postby Gaius Valerius Scipio » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Publius Iunius Brutus wrote:Brutus sal.

Above is a picture of my Lararium before sunrise.

Below is a copy of the lararium prayer we use at my household. This simple prayer addresses the Penates of my household, Iupiter, Iuno, Mars, Minerva, Ceres, Fortuna, Venus and Asclepius. The prayer also addresses the Lares of the home, the Genius and Iuno of the heads of my family, and the Manes of my ancestors. An offering is not always made, but is an optional component during salutatio. Precatio is an optional phase and where a more elaborate offering is made to a deity or deities that are important to that particular day.

Feel free to modify for your own uses if you wish. I am happy to answer any questions be may have.

I. Purificatio

II. Praefatio

Mother Vesta, (adoratio gesture) virgin of the hearth, or by whatever name you please, be hallowed. Join us and attend to this [household/family] today. As you protected the heaths and families of our ancestors, protect me and my family today. I humbly ask that you may bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

Father Ianus, (adoratio gesture) sower of the years, two faced good creator, father of the Gods, and divine caretaker, or by whatever name you please, be hallowed. It is right and proper, begins our prayers in your divine name. As you opened doors to the almighty Gods and Goddesses in the past, open doors to the divine on this new day, a new beginning, provided by you. May Your benevolence in opening this doorway facilitate communication with Yourself, and all the Gods and Goddesses. Watch over me and this [household/family] as a new day dawns through your divine benevolence. I humbly ask that you may bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:

{MAKE OFFERING}

It is done]

OPTIONAL:

{MAKE OFFERING}

It is done]

III. Salutatio

Greetings divine Father Iupiter! (adoratio gesture) Iupiter Opimus Maximus, saviour, unconquered victor, striking, bringer of light, heavenly thunderer, of lighting, and defence! By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty bless this [household / family]. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor today as a new day begins. I humbly ask that you may bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Iuno! (adoratio gesture) Iuno Regina, the bringer of light, matron of honor, Queen of heaven and the Gods, By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Father Mars! (adoratio gesture) Mars victorious and marching! By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Minerva! (adoratio gesture) Minerva, powerful in arms, grey-eyed hostess, physician, divine wisdom, and bearer of peace. By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Ceres! (adoratio gesture) Ceres golden bearer of crops and growth, of abundance and fertility, maternal progenitoress! By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Venus! (adoratio gesture) Venus changer of hearts, golden friend, indulgent Goddess who delivers blessings and love. By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Father Asclepius! (adoratio gesture) Asclepius, son of Apollo and healer of sicknesses! Bright Asklepios, father of physicians, provider of health and healing! By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings divine Mother Fortuna! (adoratio gesture) Fortuna enduring, blessed, preserving, changing, conductress, provider, restorer, and bountiful Goddess. By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings Household Lares! (adoratio gesture) By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon me and my family in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon me, my spouse, my child, and my household.

OPTIONAL:
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Oh, Genius of the Paterfamilas of this household (adoratio gesture), of wisdom and guidance. By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon [PATERFAMILAS NAME] in the past, may you offer your favor at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon [PATERFAMILAS NAME] as they go to fulfill the duties and tasks of this new day. In doing so may this family be strengthened with virtue.

OPTIONAL:
[Blessed Genius, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Oh, Iuno of the Materfamilas of this household (adoratio gesture), of wisdom and guidance. By whatever name you please, be hallowed. By your majesty attend to this new day. As you bestowed your blessings upon [MATERFAMILAS NAME] in the past, may you offer your favour at the present. May you bestow your blessing upon [MATERFAMILAS NAME] as they go to fulfil the duties and tasks of this new day. In doing so may this family be strengthened with virtue.

OPTIONAL:
[Blessed Iuno, towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

Greetings honorable ancestral Manes (adoratio gesture)! By your majesty attend to this [household / family] on this new day. [LIST DECEASED FAMILY MEMBER NAMES] Your great deeds and virtue is recalled fondly and with great esteem. As you bestowed your blessings upon this family over the generations, may you offer your favor at the present. May bestow your blessing upon me, [my spouse, my children,] my home, and my household as we embark on this new day. May our actions and deeds bring further honor to the family you lovingly tended and bequeathed to me.

OPTIONAL:
[Honored ancestral Manes, [LIST DECEASED FAMILY MEMBERS HERE] towards these ends be increased by this offering of {WINE OR INCENSE OR MILK} {BURNED OR MADE IN LIBATION} before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!]

May all the Gods and Goddesses note these words spoken.

IV. Precatio (OPTIONAL)

[OPTIONAL OFFERING TO PARTICULAR DEITY OF THE DAY]
(place offering on altar)
Oh blessed [deity] [epithets], (adoratio gesture) for these reasons, towards this aim, in recognition of your benevolence, and if it pleases you, accept this offering of {NAME OF OFFERING} which I have placed before you and will give unto you.

[place offering on altar]

Oh, {PRIMARY DIETY NAME}, if this offering of {DESCRIPTION OF OFFERING} pleases you, offer your aid towards {STATE THE GENERAL HELP DESIRED IN RETURN}. Great {PRIMARY NAME}, if you will it, {SPECIFIC OUTCOME DESIRED FROM ORFFERING}.

OPTIONAL IF VOW MADE:
[ Divine {PRIMARY NAME}, if you are willing, assist in fulfilling this petition by {TIME WHEN REQUEST IS TO BE FULFILLED}, in doing so, and in observation of your benevolence and kind patronage,{SPECIFIC ADDITIONAL OFFERING TO BE MADE IF VOW IS FULFILLED} shall be offered to you before {TIME WHEN OFFERING WILL BE MADE IF VOW FULFILLED}. Oh, {PRIMARY NAME}, make it so!

V. Immolatio

[Deity] [epithets] (adoratio). We offer you this [offering] now given up to you and towards the appeal made.
[touch/burn offering]
It has been done!

VI. Litatio

VII. Piaculum

OPTIONAL:
(make offering)]

OPTIONAL:
(make offering)]

(blow out lamp)

All Gods and Goddesses, observe that good intentioned prayers were made, go forth with me and this family as we now embark upon the duties of this new day!

As always Brutus these prayers are very helpful!
I have been looking for something like this and your lararium is exquisite.
May the Gods and the ancestors of the Republic guide you.

Valete.
C Valerius Scipio
Do not yield to misfortunes, but advance more boldly to meet them, as your fortune permits you.
Gaius Valerius Scipio

Return to Cultus Deorum Romanorum