Ritual in honor of Bacchanalia Vernalia

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Ritual in honor of Bacchanalia Vernalia

Postby Faustus Gallius Eugenius » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:51 am

In honor of Bacchanalia Vernalia, one of the festivals I have created in honor of the classical Bacchanlia, I performed my first ritual to Bacchus as a sacerdos for the Collegium Pontificum.

Listed below is the ritual I performed

Bacchanalia Vernalia Ritual
FASTI MMDCCLXX a.u.c

I. Purification
Wash both hands in clean water and pray
Haec aqua impuritates a corpore velut plumbo ad aurum mutando eluat
(May this water cast out all impurities from my substance as from lead to gold.)
Purga mentem (Purify my mind.)
Purga corpus (Purify my body.)
Purga animum (Purify my heart.)
Ita est! (It is so.)

II. Praefatio
Light the altar candle in honor of Vesta,
And honor Ianus, the god of beginnings,
With salutations and libations

Mater Vesta, and all the Gods which it is pious to summon, join together to attend to this humble ceremony. Blessed Mater, I humbly ask that you may bestow your blessing upon me, my family, my friends, and my household. Oh Mater Vesta, may you accept this offering which I now place before you. May You favour this act and upon Your will make it so.

Ianus, sower of the years, with You begins our prayers. Come watch over this ceremony, allow my friends and family to attend as your guests. May Your benevolence in opening this doorway facilitate communication with Yourself, and all the Gods and Goddesses. Oh Pater Ianus, may you accept this offering of which I now place before you. May You favour this act and upon Your will make it so.

III. Salutatio
Honor the deities of the occasion and one's household
With salutations and libations to each individually

Greetings divine Bacchus! I humbly ask that you may bestow your blessing upon me, my family, my friends, and my household.

[Salutatio to household deities, Lares, Manes, and the Genius]

Greetings divine [deity]! I humbly ask that you may bestow your blessing upon me, my family, my friends, and my household.

IV. Precatio
Present and sanctify offerings to each of the deities of the occasion
Making prayers to each deity giving purpose and request

Oh blessed Bacchus, assist me in the tasks of today. Provide me guidance and support, and help me to cultivate virtue. Towards this aim, and if it pleases you, may you accept this offering which I now place before you. Be strengthened by this which I give to you.

O Great Bacchus, I am making this offering in the service of your cult and your mysteries, in celebration of the Festival of Bacchanalia Vernalia, and in honor of both the Roman Republic and the Collegium Pontificum, in my role as sacerdos.

Bacchus! Evaster! Bromius! Lenaeus! Theoenus! Cisseus! Soterius! Mystes!

Orphic Hymn XXIX; To Bacchus

Bacchus I call, loud-sounding and divine, fanatic God, a two-fold shape is thine:
Thy various names and attributes I sing, O, first-born, thrice begotten, Bacchic king:
Rural, ineffable, two-form'd, obscure, two-horn'd, with ivy crown'd, euion, pure.
Bull-fac'd, and martial, bearer of the vine, endu'd with counsel prudent and divine:
Triennial, whom the leaves of vines adorn, of Jove and Proserpine, occultly born.
Immortal dæmon, hear my suppliant voice, give me in blameless plenty to rejoice;
And listen gracious to my mystic pray'r, surrounded with thy choir of nurses fair.

I present to you, O Sacred Bacchus, this blessed offering as spiritual sustenance for you, in great gratitude and divine respect, in the correct manner.

It is my desire that this offering be made to you in the hope that your cult be revivified and exemplified by those who choose to devote themselves to you

If it is you will, O Bacchus, may you honor my request

Do Ut Des

Bacchus, let it be so!

V. Immolatio
Present and sanctify offerings to each of the gods of one's household
Making prayers to each deity giving purpose and request

Oh blessed [deity], assist me in the tasks of today. Provide me guidance and support, and help me to cultivate virtue. Towards this aim, and if it pleases you, may you accept this offering which I now place before you. Be strengthened by this which I give to you.

Do Ut Des

[Deity] let it be so!

VI. Redditio
Make any additional offerings and personal requests to particular deities

VII. Conclusio
Make any additional prayers and offerings to pertinent deities
Taking time to make expiations to the gods (piaculum)
Ending always with Vesta

Blessed Bacchus, if this appeal and my offering has caused unbeknownst offence, please accept my deep regret and recall my good intentions towards you.

Celestial Bacchus, towards this end accept this additional offering which I place before you, as a sign of my reverence and good will towards you.

Expiations to the household gods ending with Vesta:

Blessed [deity], if this appeal and my offering has caused unbeknownst offence, please accept my deep regret and recall my good intentions towards you.

Celestial [deity] towards this end accept this additional offering which I place before you, as a sign of my reverence and good will towards you.

Wash hands in clean water once again and bow in silence
Faustus Gallius Eugenius
Governor of California Citerior
Bacchi Sacerdos
Bacchi Sacerdos

Re: Ritual in honor of Bacchanalia Vernalia

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:37 am

Sal.

Well done, thank you for this service to the CDR.
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Re: Ritual in honor of Bacchanalia Vernalia

Postby Faustus Gallius Eugenius » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Publius Iunius Brutus wrote:Sal.

Well done, thank you for this service to the CDR.

It was my pleasure to do so.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve Bacchus for our community :D
Faustus Gallius Eugenius
Bacchi Sacerdos
Bacchi Sacerdos

Return to Cultus Deorum Romanorum