Ceremony of Veneralia

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Ceremony of Veneralia

Postby Lucia Hostilia Scaura » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:33 am

Sacerdos and Consul, Curio asked me to perform the following ceremony. Sacerdos Curio wrote this pleasing ceremony.

It was a good ceremony and no ill signs were observed. May Fortuna and Venus bless you all.

PURIFICATIO

The space where offerings to the Gods will be made and any images or instruments used during a ritual should be sprinkled with pure water.

(LIGHT INCENSE COALS AND BURNED FRANKINCENSE TO PURIFY THE AREA BEFORE BEGINNING)

(THIS CEREMONY IS PERFORMED CAPITE VELATO, AS IT IS A ROMAN RITE )

May this water cast out all impurities from my substance as from lead to gold, as the falling rain cleanses the air. Thus, I am cleansed and at peace and made whole before the Gods. I am tranquil and before the divinities which it is pious to invoke and stand prepared, humble and with good faith. It is so.

(WASH AND DRY HANDS THOROUGHLY WHILE SPEAKING THE ABOVE WORDS)

PRAEFATIO

Depart, oh depart those not here to make the profanus sacer! All remaining your attention! Silence, hold your tongues, this ceremony begins.

Vesta Mater, also known as the perpetual guardian of the hearth, family, and community, queen of perennial fire, protector of the Roman people! Vesta, or unless you prefer some other name, I pray and beseech you to attend these Veneralia (ADORATIO GESTURE). Upon these Veneralia may your favor be present and in doing so allow for good greetings and offerings to be made to you and those Gods and Goddesses which it is good to call upon. In doing so, may you allow pious smoke rise to the heavens. By this act remind me of the noble virtues. Vesta Mater, to you my voice lifts in praise as by this rite and through your benevolence, I am allowed to approach you. As your sacred flame in the past demonstrated your divine good faith, allow your sovereignty to reign over the fire before us. As you attended to the Roman people of old, attend to your Roman people of the present. Queen of perennial fire, on these Veneralia and if it is your will, grant your support aid to all women who identify as Romans. For all these causes, be present and kindle the flames before us! For your kind support, I shall offer libation of milk in hopes that it is pleasing to you.

[light lamps / candles / burners]

Vesta, queen of perennial fire, your flame is present and we say good prayers.

Ianus Pater, from whom all things proceed, biformed God, heavenly gatekeeper, good creator, the God of good beginnings and the years gliding by in silence, who alone among the immortal celestials sees his own back! Ianus, or unless you prefer some other name, I pray and beseech you to attend these Veneralia (ADORATIO GESTURE). With your kind favor open the way forward and aid our task at hand. Ianus, on these Veneralia facilitate communication with yourself, and Fortuna Virilis, Venus Verticordia and all the Gods and Goddesses for which it is pious to recognize. Ianus, as you allowed Rome to rise to great heights, allow your Roman people of the present to have good beginnings. As you enabled pious contact with the divine in the past, now allow such contact in the present and future. With a nod open your gleaming gates onto peaceful precincts and favor all women who identify as Romans on these Veneralia. Towards these ends be increased by this offering of libation of wine made before you now.

[make offering of wine]

Ianus, it has been done!

Vesta Mater, also known as the perpetual guardian of the hearth, family, and community, queen of perennial fire, protector of the Roman people! If it is your will to attend this ceremony on these Veneralia, and if it is pleasing to you, be increased by this offering of libation of wine made before you now.

[make offering of wine]

Vesta, it has been done!

SALUTATIO

Fortuna Virilis, bringer of fortune with men, concealer of imperfections and patroness of matrons. Also known as Fortuna, guide of fortune and fate, the great goddess who stands upon the unsteady wheel, the divine matron who holds the cornucopia that bestows good fortunes and the rudder that guides the fates of all Romans, who has long been honored at the Forum Boarium. Fortuna Virilis, unless you prefer some other name, by your majesty we humbly request you attend these Veneralia!

Fortuna Virilis, you long assisted our ancestors with the fortune of men. You guided the longevity of marriages, and hid the natural imperfections from the sight of their husbands and lovers. You brought fortune and favor into many marriages, bringing happiness and prosperity with your blessing. Fortuna Virilis, or by whatever name pleases you, if it is your will, allow men to only see our perfections, guide all Roman women’s marriages and relationships down the path of happiness and prosperity, and bring happiness and love into the lives of all Roman women.
Towards these ends be increased by this offering of smoke of frankincense burned before you now, and if it pleases you.

(MAKE OFFERING OF FRANKINCENSE)

It is done!

Venus Verticordia, changer of hearts, divine matron of love, and guide of the virtuous. Also known as Venus, divine goddess of love, beauty, desire, prosperity and victory! Great goddess who was first recognized as Venus Obsuquens, and who has long been honored by the Romans. Venus Verticordia, unless you prefer some other name, by your majesty we humbly request you attend these Veneralia!

Venus Verticordia, you long assisted the women of our ancestors with matters of love and desire. On this day, these women carried you to the baths of the men, disrobed you and ceremonially washed you from head to toe with careful and meticulous care to show their devotion to you. In exchange you brought love into their marriages in abundance, working in concert with Fortuna Virilis towards these ends.

Towards these ends be increased by this offering of wine made in libation before you now, and if it pleases you.

(MAKE OFFERING OF WINE)

It is done!

Oh Iane Pater, Vesta Mater, Venus Verticordia and you, Divine Fortuna Virilis, and all the Gods and Goddesses of heaven, and Earth, I call you to witness these Veneralia!

PRECATIO

(WASH HANDS IN PURE WATER AND DRY)

(TOUCHING THE ALTAR WITH THE LEFT HAND SAY)

Fortuna Virilis, bringer of fortune with men, concealer of imperfections and patroness of matrons. Also known as Fortuna, guide of fortune and fate, the great goddess who stands upon the unsteady wheel, the divine matron who holds the cornucopia that bestows good fortunes and the rudder that guides the fates of all Romans, who has long been honored at the Forum Boarium.

Towards these ends, and in recognition of you, I observe this day of Veneralia!

Oh Fortuna Virilis, bringer of fortune with men, concealer of imperfections and patroness of matrons. Also known as Fortuna, guide of fortune and fate, the great goddess who stands upon the unsteady wheel, the divine matron who holds the cornucopia that bestows good fortunes and the rudder that guides the fates of all Romans, who has long been honored at the Forum Boarium. For these reasons and towards this aim, in recognition of your benevolence, and if it pleases you, accept this offering of barley that I place before you and give unto you!

(PRESENT OFFERING OF BARLEY)

(TOUCHING THE ALTAR WITH THE LEFT HAND SAY)

Oh, Fortuna Virilis, if this offering of smoke of incense pleases you, offer your aid towards all women who identify as Romans. Divine Fortuna Virilis, if you will it, allow men to only see our perfections, guide all Roman women’s marriages and relationships down the path of happiness and prosperity, and bring happiness and love into the lives of all Roman women.

(SING FOLLOWING SONG)

Oh Viril Fortune, great dame renown"
Calls the lass last seen at the altar
"My line has offered you meat and bone
And frankincense straight from the harbor.
I ask thee goddess to find me love
As the seawind finds with the sail-ship
If such true love comes from you above you shall have my eternal friendship"

Then came there to a man of renown
With a true heart that doesn't falter
The lass saw then through this man her own
And they married close to the altar.
Her hair she covered with flowers red
And her lunulla she got rid of
And in their home there was joy, they said,
True companionship and a real love

(WASH HANDS AGAIN IN PURE WATER AND DRY)

IMMOLATIO

Oh, Fortuna Virilis, bringer of fortune with men, concealer of imperfections and patroness of matrons. Also known as Fortuna, guide of fortune and fate, the great goddess who stands upon the unsteady wheel, the divine matron who holds the cornucopia that bestows good fortunes and the rudder that guides the fates of all Romans, who has long been honored at the Forum Boarium. We offer you this smoke of frankincense, now given up to you and towards the appeal made! Divine Fortuna Virilis, be strengthened by this offering of barely presented before you now!

(TOUCH AND BUTN OFFERING)

If you will it, make it so!

REDDITIO

(RECITE FOLLOWING PASSAGE FROM OVID FASTI)

“Learn now, why ye offer the incense to Fortuna Virilis; in that place which is all moist with the application of warm water. That place beholds you all with your garmends laid aside, and every imperfection of your naked person is exposed. To conceal these, and to hide them from your husbands, does Fortuna Virliis engage; and this she does, if requested so to do, with the offering of a little frankincense. And be not reluctant to take the poppy bruised with the snow-white milk, and the honey trickling from the squeezed combs. When first Venus was led home by her eager husband, she drank of this; from that time she was a wife. With suppliant words appease her; under her protection abide both beauty, good morals and fair fame. Rome had, in lapse of time, degenerated from the virtue of its ancestors; then, men of the olden time, did ye consult the Cumaean Sibyl. She commanded a temple be erected to Venus: this being duly performed on that occasion, Venus obtained the name of Verticordia, from the change of the heart. Ever do thou, most beauteous Goddess, look upon the descendents of Aeneas with pleased aspect, and do thou protect so many of thy daughter in laws.”

LITATIO

(QUIETLY CONTEMPLATE THE GODS AND GODDESSES AND WATCH FOR SIGNS- PREFERABLY WHILE SITTING)

PIACULUM

Iane Pater, or by whichever name pleases you, if I have done anything to violate tradition and insult, I pray that you do generously receive and accept this (LIBATION OF WINE) which now is offered before you in expiation of my errors.

(MAKE OFFERING OF WINE)

It is done!

Divine Fortuna Virilis, or by whichever name pleases you, if I have done anything to violate tradition and insult, I pray that you do generously receive and accept this (LIBATION OF WINE) which now is offered before you in expiation of my errors.

(MAKE OFFERING OF WINE)

It is done!

Divine Venus Verticordia, if I have done anything to disrupt tradition and insult, I implore that you kindly receive and accept this additional (LIBATION OF WINE) which now is presented before you in expiation of my error.

Vesta Mater, or unless you prefer some other name, it is right to offer you thanks and honor as you provided your flame during this ceremony. Towards my gratitude be strengthened by this additional offering of smoke of frankincense now made before you.

[make offering of frankincense]

Divine Vesta, if I have done anything to disrupt tradition and insult, I implore that you do kindly receive and accept this additional libation of wine which now is presented before you in expiation of my error.

(make offering of wine)

(blow out lamp)

All Gods and Goddesses, by whatever names you desire, observe that good intentioned prayers were made, that sacred smoke and offerings that was given up to you, and that this ceremony is now concluded with the upmost piety. May all those deities so honored by these events make their will so and offer their divine favour!

(WASH HANDS AGAIN IN PURE WATER AND DRY THEM)

Lucia Hostilia Scaura
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Re: Ceremony of Veneralia

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:13 am

Curio Sal.

I would like to thank Lictrix Hostilia Scaura for performing this ceremony on behalf of the Republic. May Fortuna Virilis favor all women who identify as Romans for the coming year.

Di vos incolumes custodiant!

L. Aurelius Curio
Sacerdos Fortunae
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator