Roman Temples

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Roman Temples

Postby Numerius Antonius Paullus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:32 am

Salve!

A subject that I have found constantly interesting is the subject of Roman Temples and sacred space. I know that the books that are being suggested by the leaders of our spiritual leaders have some information, I would like to open a dialogue within our community about Temples and sacred spaces. I can't help but find the architecture fascinating as well. Let us discuss this item as a people!

Vale!

N. Antonius Paullus
Numerius Antonius Paullus

Re: Roman Temples

Postby Lucius Metilius Niger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:26 pm

very interesting subject !
Lucius Metilius Niger

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Salvete amici!

As you might know Roma Aeterna is planning to build a modern temple, an idea I like very much.
Unfortunately it appears that the temple will be built in the US, which means most likely that only the local commnity will benefit from it. Perhaps we should aim for a similar project, but ours should be in Rome or another historical site (e.g. Pompeii).
I think our Republic has the better chances to succeed, if we are really committed. However we have to expand our base in Italy and our cooperation with the CPR.
But at least we could start the project within our Republic. What do you think about it? Or would you prefer simply to support Roma Aeterna's effort?

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:37 pm

Brutus sal.

A temple is in our intermediate future.

Step one is aquiring funds, and a strong-growing CDR first and foremost.

Here at the RR we are rapidly establishing funds at a increasing rate. The CDR is also growing and publications are being written at the moment that shall assist in growing a strong and identifiable Roman tradition.

I also think private temples are noteworthy. I hope to build a temple with my own funds in the next few years. I have privately provided financial support to the temple now built in Sarmatia and hope to translate their good work to other locations. This is the type of collaboration we should seek.

It is not a matter of will the RR and its citizens build temples. It is a matter of when.
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:43 pm

We do not need to worry about the financing of the project at the moment. This will be the last step. Probably it will be financed privately anyway, if it can be combined with a commercial operation with attached hotel, restaurant, travel agency, gift shop etc. It would be an investment rather than a donation, if properly done.

Our very first step has to be establishing a presence in Rome and Italy. This is only possible through the CPR. We need more people from them to join our Republic. Then, when we have enough people on the ground there, we can decide on the exact location and the piece of land that needs to be bought.

The temple in Samatia is nice for the local community. The RA temple may be helpful for the Romans in California. But we are a global community. We have to build a Roman temple for people from all over the world to visit. We have no other choice but building it in Rome.
Because the visitors who will come, will want to see more than just this temple. They will not cross half the world to see a building in a remote place and nothing else. They will want to combine this journey with a visit to the Forum, the Capitoline museum and other historic sites. The location Rome is a sine qua non for our Republic, because our ambitions are higher than those of RA, we are bigger, more international and more inclusive.

Brutus is right, we have to grow the CDR first, we have to establish ourselves as the most important community of the Religio, and we need to establish ourselves physically in Rome, which will not be possible without the Communitas Populi Romani, that has already done a great work in this regard.

Valete!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Lucius Metilius Niger » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:00 pm

This is only possible through the CPR.

yes. CPR system of real-life community is the good example I think of first step for make CDR alive.
for create real community, real temples (private or public), people must firstly to make events and meet together.
create a real community. it's the only solution.
all others groups who thinks we need firstly legislate and organize virtualy are wrong I think.
Lucius Metilius Niger

Postby Gaius Cominius Laenas » Mon May 01, 2017 7:43 am

Lucius Metilius Niger wrote:
This is only possible through the CPR.

yes. CPR system of real-life community is the good example I think of first step for make CDR alive.
for create a real community, real temples (private or public), people must firstly to make events and meet.
create a real community. it's the only solution.
all others groups who thinks we need firstly legislate and organize virtually are wrong I think.

With all due respect, you are mistaken.

What century do we live in? How many great movements have started online over the last 20 years? How many "on the ground" projects had their impetus through online community building. The CPR will always remain small segmented and relatively isolated chapters. Why? Because CPR by its nature cannot organize on a truly massive scale. Everything they do is regional. Sure, that has a use. But it has huge limitations.

The RR will always have a financial advantage as it draws donations from the world, not a corner of France.

We are already seeing face-to-face video conferencing on a regular basis. I have met RR citizens and shook their hands. I think we will soon be as much offline as online in some regions. But all of these interactions are directly possible due to work here through the RR.

This matter is not black and white, and you better believe that this community is flesh, blood and alive and not a bunch of pixels. Keep watching and be ready to be wrong. 8-)
Gaius Cominius Laenas
Quaestor
Quaestor
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Tue May 02, 2017 11:49 am

The CPR has indeed limitations due to their localized structure.
But the main problem with them is their arrogance. You cannot talk to them without being reminded at the first occasion that Internet based Roman communities are a joke and that they are the only real Romans.
They have to understand that we Romans are spread out all over the globe. We simply do not have the possibility to meet in person regularly. This is why the Internet helps us. We take Romanitas just as serious as them.
Their Italian-only policy is also counter-productive. Not all modern Romans speak Italian. And Italian is not Latin, it is a barbarian dialect of vulgar Latin. Most Italians do not descend from Romans either, but from Germanic invaders like Lombards and Ostrogoths in the North and Normans in the South. Only Italians from the former Papal States can claim full Roman ancestry. This arrogant view ("We are the only true Romans") is something they need to overcome, if they want to succeed.

In fact both is needed, a physical local community like the CPR and a more inclusive community with global outreach like us. The CPR and our Republic, we both need each other. Each of our communities has to offer a lot that the other does not have. We are bound to work together. We should unite somehow and the CPR should allow an Internet tribus that speaks English and keeps the rest of the world connected with the core in Italy.
Probably we are more ready for cooperation than they are. So they have to do more work than we have to do, before we come together. More respect and less arrogance would be a first step.
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Lucius Metilius Niger » Tue May 02, 2017 7:27 pm

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:The CPR has indeed limitations due to their localized structure.
But the main problem with them is their arrogance. You cannot talk to them without being reminded at the first occasion that Internet based Roman communities are a joke and that they are the only real Romans.
They have to understand that we Romans are spread out all over the globe. We simply do not have the possibility to meet in person regularly. This is why the Internet helps us. We take Romanitas just as serious as them.
Their Italian-only policy is also counter-productive. Not all modern Romans speak Italian. And Italian is not Latin, it is a barbarian dialect of vulgar Latin. Most Italians do not descend from Romans either, but from Germanic invaders like Lombards and Ostrogoths in the North and Normans in the South. Only Italians from the former Papal States can claim full Roman ancestry. This arrogant view ("We are the only true Romans") is something they need to overcome, if they want to succeed.

In fact both is needed, a physical local community like the CPR and a more inclusive community with global outreach like us. The CPR and our Republic, we both need each other. Each of our communities has to offer a lot that the other does not have. We are bound to work together. We should unite somehow and the CPR should allow an Internet tribus that speaks English and keeps the rest of the world connected with the core in Italy.
Probably we are more ready for cooperation than they are. So they have to do more work than we have to do, before we come together. More respect and less arrogance would be a first step.

I do not know why you associate members of the CPR with some kind of "fundamentalist" or racist, arrears. The CPR does not have these ideological orientations, not at all.
The Romanitas is universal in a sense. It is a living heritage all around the globe, not only in old Europe. Everyone is aware of it or almost. Me first.
The only arrogance that he can have, does not come from the CPR, and from its members, but only from me, who indeed does not fail to come to criticize you, to bother you, I admit, but this has since At the beginning, you may think I am insane, but I have always been honest and frank.
It is my only arrogance that you can blame, not that of all the European heirs of the Romanitas, and especially not the CPR, which works with benevolence and simplicity.
respectfuly
Lucius Metilius Niger

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Tue May 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Brutus sal.

Niger, I do think you mean well for the CDR.

Why do you come here to bother us?

Respectful and productive criticism is grand. It helps us get better. But I sincerely hope that such criticism is not followed only by words. The RR is about action. The RR can and will continue to improve. But this will require our critics to become part of the solution. To get involved and work with others here to make improvements and start new initiatives.

Niger, I encourage you to help become an active part of the solution. Should the RR work with the CPR? Certainly if a mutually respectful relationship is established. I would be the first person to sign on to that! Should we push for local community development? Certainly, it's a key aspect of our Declaration and reason for existing.

Contrary to the critics, the system established at the RR is not about titles or creating a replica Republic for role-play. Months of work went into developing our system for one purpose. To provide a structure that would allow a balanced coordinating body to exist across many regions, interests and views. The RR as a non-profit needs managers, aka our Consules. It needs secretaries, aka Censores. It needs a consulting body to represent various communities and views, aka the Senate. I suppose we could just call ourselves, Roman Collaborative organization and have managers, secretaries and so on, but we would loose part of the cultural heritage in doing so. Few here thinks the RR is the ancient Republic 1:1. But I do think we strive to be a place where the modern Roman world can meet, coordinate, and collectively develop projects that would not otherwise be possible. This coordination does not remain online. All online activity here is intended to directly lead to offline activity. In the last 13 months of our existence the seeds of this are being laid. We see it in our sacerdotes, our video conferencing, our provincial (local chapters) being developed, in the convention being planned and in our various CDR projects. Our book projects are a good example of such a thing.

Niger, I actually like some of your ideas. I think you could really help us build bridges with the CPR and promote the CPR as a partner. But the critism will need to shift from words to also action. Soon, we will have elections for Quaestor (aka assistant to the manager). In this role you could help shape the RR. Amice, I think this would be a very good first step from being "lone critic" to being "team builder and solution maker".
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Next