Templvm Collegium - Looking for founders

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Re: Templvm Collegium - Looking for founders

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Tue May 02, 2017 10:33 pm

Lucia Horatia Adamas wrote:L. Horatia Adamas C. Florio Lupo C. Cominio Laenati Proculae Valeriae Messallinae omnibusque S.P.D.

This sounds quite interesting, but I feel compelled to point out that a) there are several cultores in North America, b) that there already is a Roman-based B&B in Rome, and c) that the Italian authorities are not likely to welcome any religious edifice other than a Christian church, though possibly Jewish synagogues might be permitted. Other groups have run into brick walls on that one. The group in Sarmatia seems to have had better luck, but that, too, may not last.

As for other matters, methinks Templo (or possibly Templi) is better Latin; the first means 'for a / the temple' and the second, 'of a / the temple.' If 'aedes' (basic meaning: 'house') is chosen instead, please remember that it is normally used only in the plural, so 'aedibus,' and in the proposed regulations, the word 'dissolution' is badly misspelled as 'dissaloution.'

Valete!

The Italian Government's red tape would be one of the most impossible to surmount problem in such a project. I've heard of ghastly attempts of Nova Roma being barred from even errecting a small roman memorial (and that after losing thousands of euros in the futile attempt).

For me it seems a lot more safe and realistic to begin in the US. That is one of the places with highest number of cultores that we have and also a place where one can find very cheap land and very less red tape.

I understand your wishes, Lupe. I also wish we could do something in Rome. But let's be realistic here, even if we DO get investors we'd have a mountain of italian red tape to traverse and that will probably take years. I am all for trying, if it doesnt cost us anything (with investors paying), but I don't think it should be our main focus given the unlikeliness of our success in it.

I prefer a lot more Valeria's plan. And I think it should be implemented first of all in the States. It might not become a gigantic tourest area, but I REALLY doubt it does not attract some tourism. Cultores all around have talked to me how they plan on doing pilgrimages to Sarmatia on its new temple. People want to see a living temple. Where it is at is less important.

My suggestion is to pick a spot that has a relatively good number of cultores and cheap land with little government beurocracy. Invest in land there, call an Augur to inaugurate the land, make an aedes there for a god with a differentiated epithet and repeat in other areas around the States and Canada. The land could be either privately owned or owned by the RR in trust for the Templum Collegium. Probably best if it was privately owned by the sacerdos that runs it, or at least owned by the RR but MAINTAINED finantially by the sacerdos (we need to always remember maintainance cost and taxes). Communities might be very attracted by this. After having enougj experience a bigger temple could be dedicated in an area with the most active community. After we have experience doing that in the States we should look for other easy to do areas. Countries where beurocracy is low, land is cheap and cultores are more concentrated. After those options are finished with, THEN we should start tackling the complicated countries. But till we get to Italy I see many many years of time... I think we shouldnt try something in such a complicated beurocratic expensive country until we have a mountain of experience under our belt at making temples.
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Procula Valeria Messalla » Tue May 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Salvete,

I think the Templvm should work with any person or community regardless of location if they can do the following:

1) Can help raise funds to support an altar or temple.

2) Physical community to support such a temple.

3) In a location other cultores can safely visit on a regular basis.

I could see us supporting multiple locations and communities and seeing which holds the most potential over time.
Procula Valeria Messalla
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Tue May 02, 2017 11:04 pm

Procula Valeria Messalla wrote:Salvete,

I think the Templvm should work with any person or community regardless of location if they can do the following:

1) Can help raise funds to support an altar or temple.

2) Physical community to support such a temple.

3) In a location other cultores can safely visit on a regular basis.

I could see us supporting multiple locations and communities and seeing which holds the most potential over time.

Fully agreed
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Wed May 03, 2017 11:59 am

Salvete!

I have to admit that I was not aware that Theodosius' Edict of Thessalonica is still in effect in Italy. This would be a serious obstacle of course. But aren't many Italians proud of their classical history? This makes me thinking about contacting the Vatican for clarification on this matter and their stance on religious tolerance. It does not quite fit with Franciscus' other policies.

I doubt that the US would work as location. Would for example a French follower of the Religio fly all the way to the U.S. just for a religious ceremony that may take an hour or so and shaking a few hands of like-minded people? There is nothing else around that would make his trip worthwile, no ruins, no Roman museums, nothing. How many of us will fly to Samatia to visit the temple there? It is the same siruation.

I already admitted that "templum" is the better word in our case, especially if it refers to an altar or a whole compound. Nevertheless "aedes (sacra)" was the actual word that the Romans used for the building. There are enough inscriptions around to prove it. No temple was called templum. I know that "aedes" means "house" but this is how the Romans called it, the "House of Iuppiter Optimus Maximus". By the way, it is also used in medieval Latin to refer to churches. " Ecclesia" was the institution, "aedes" the building. In the Religio Romana "templum" is the place (a sacred hill or something), "aedes" the building on it.

Valete!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Wed May 03, 2017 5:26 pm

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:Salvete!

I have to admit that I was not aware that Theodosius' Edict of Thessalonica is still in effect in Italy. This would be a serious obstacle of course. But aren't many Italians proud of their classical history? This makes me thinking about contacting the Vatican for clarification on this matter and their stance on religious tolerance. It does not quite fit with Franciscus' other policies.

I doubt that the US would work as location. Would for example a French follower of the Religio fly all the way to the U.S. just for a religious ceremony that may take an hour or so and shaking a few hands of like-minded people? There is nothing else around that would make his trip worthwile, no ruins, no Roman museums, nothing. How many of us will fly to Samatia to visit the temple there? It is the same siruation.

I already admitted that "templum" is the better word in our case, especially if it refers to an altar or a whole compound. Nevertheless "aedes (sacra)" was the actual word that the Romans used for the building. There are enough inscriptions around to prove it. No temple was called templum. I know that "aedes" means "house" but this is how the Romans called it, the "House of Iuppiter Optimus Maximus". By the way, it is also used in medieval Latin to refer to churches. " Ecclesia" was the institution, "aedes" the building. In the Religio Romana "templum" is the place (a sacred hill or something), "aedes" the building on it.

Valete!

By far a Temple in Rome would receive a lot more tourests. But a bunch of temples in the State could actually make for a very nice Pilgrimage road of sorts. A person could start in a temple at the west coast and end up in a temple at the east cost. And that would give them an excuse to visit the US (which a lot of people tell me they want to do). The US has a lot of tourism going around so I really don't doubt that a good deal of tourism would hit these temples/shrines if they were advertised properly.

And yeah, unfortunetly to build anything non-catholic or jewish in Rome is painstakingly hard. To buy land near Rome is painstakingly costy. To do most enterprises in Italy is a multiyear project. The Italian Government (and the EU itself for that matter) are a snake pit of beurocracy. Sooo much red tape... The stories I heard of were abysal.
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Cominius Laenas » Thu May 04, 2017 1:30 pm

I suggest changing the name to Templis.org. This in English means "for temples", as generously suggested by Horatia.
Gaius Cominius Laenas
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Thu May 04, 2017 6:59 pm

Gaius Cominius Laenas wrote:I suggest changing the name to Templis.org. This in English means "for temples", as generously suggested by Horatia.

I support this wholeheartedly.
Gaius Curtius Philo

Previous

Return to Cultus Deorum Romanorum