Templvm Project

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Templvm Project

Postby Lucius Florius Brutus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:47 am

Salvete, Cultores!

On this day, the first Roman temple since antiquity will be inaugurated in Poltava, Ukraine, Provincia Sarmatia! I congratulate our Sarmatian friends on their accomplishment, and on the accomplishments to come in the further development of the temple complex, and I hope that more such projects might spring up around the world!

Valete, Cultores!
Lucius Florius Brutus

Re: Templvm Project

Postby Tiberia Salvia Alba » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:29 am

Hello. Date was changed. Now is 06 semptember 2017.

Привет. Дату изменили. Теперь открытие будет 06 сентября 2017. Это все долгоиграющая тема, я не удивлена, что он не открыт сегодня. Он, этот храм, строится сколько я себя помню в римской реконструкции. Лет семь уже наверное, все строят и построить не могут. Так что 6го сентября с поздравлениями тоже спешить не стоит, не исключено, что дату снова перенесут.
Tiberia Salvia Alba

Postby Spurius Iuventius Catulus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Exciting! Please keep us posted.
Spurius Iuventius Catulus
"The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it."
Procurator, Province of Missuria
Spurius Iuventius Catulus
Governor of Missuria
Governor of Missuria

Postby Gaius Valerius Scipio » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:45 pm

Salve

The auspices were positive and the Temple has been consecrated :)

Vale.
The gods command me to sanctify my every action, and I obey them with all my soul, and they assure me of great benefits from my enterprise, if only I persist.
Gaius Valerius Scipio
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:13 am

Salvete!

This does not seem to be the first Roman temple built in modern times.
The Associazione Tradizionale Pietas built one some time ago. And they actually built it in Rome.
https://www.facebook.com/AssociazioneTr ... alePietas/

21271195_1552038438188555_3955656047071579285_n.jpg
21271195_1552038438188555_3955656047071579285_n.jpg (50.62 KiB) Viewed 693 times

Maybe we should get in touch with them and find out more about their activities. Just as TEMPLVM.ORG they seem to be able to get things done in the real world. A cooperation seems to be beneficial for either of our organizations, because their reach seems to be limited to Italian speaking people so far.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:48 am

Salvete!

L. Cornelius Sulla has made some accusations against the TEMPLVM.ORG project in the Nova Roma Facebook group. He alleges that the temple is not a new project, but has existed for more than ten years. Back then it was vandalized by fanatical Christians. He called the fundraising for the project a fraud, because according to him the temple was only repaired and not rebuilt.
I am aware hat Sulla has been proscribed and declared an enemy of Rome and that he does not even follow the Religio Romana, but it would be important to have a clarification about this accusations by Corvus or anybody else involved in the project. Sulla's accusations can seriously harm the success of the project, if they are not publicly disproved. This project is too important to have it destroyed by Sulla.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus.
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:22 pm

In the comments, Corvus came forward with a timeline on temple construction, effectively disproving Sulla accusations.
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:19 am

Cn. Cornelius Lentulus from Nova Roma told me that the temple in Sarmatia was first inaugurated in 2010. This would at least partly support Sulla's claims.
And Sulla provided a link to an interview with Corvus from October 2011 (http://cultusdeorumromanorum.blogspot.c ... ck-in.html), where he reports the attack on the temple on September 26, 2011.Therefore it must have been built already in this time. This means the temple is not new, as we believed.

Unfortunately I am unable to find the Facebook post with Sulla's accusation and Corvus' answer again. (This is why I dislike Facebook as a platform.) Hopefully things have been clarified by Corvus.
No matter, when the temple has actually been built, Corvus has achieved something great for the Religio Romana. He is a honest man, and I am sure he would never have diverted donations into his own pocket.
But Sulla wants to sabotage further support for this project. This must be prevented by total transparency. It appears that Sulla really hates us Romans and our Religio. Whatever he does, is aimed at the destruction of Roman revivalism.

Vale!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Valerius Scipio » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:33 am

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:Cn. Cornelius Lentulus from Nova Roma told me that the temple in Sarmatia was first inaugurated in 2010. This would at least partly support Sulla's claims.
And Sulla provided a link to an interview with Corvus from October 2011 (http://cultusdeorumromanorum.blogspot.c ... ck-in.html), where he reports the attack on the temple on September 26, 2011.Therefore it must have been built already in this time. This means the temple is not new, as we believed.

Unfortunately I am unable to find the Facebook post with Sulla's accusation and Corvus' answer again. (This is why I dislike Facebook as a platform.) Hopefully things have been clarified by Corvus.
No matter, when the temple has actually been built, Corvus has achieved something great for the Religio Romana. He is a honest man, and I am sure he would never have diverted donations into his own pocket.
But Sulla wants to sabotage further support for this project. This must be prevented by total transparency. It appears that Sulla really hates us Romans and our Religio. Whatever he does, is aimed at the destruction of Roman revivalism.

Vale!

I think the post was deleted, which seems a little odd since everyone was quite supportive of the group and the project, but yes from what I've seen of Sulla he is on a crusade to disparage and discredit any sort of Roman revivalism and seems to take joy in ruining such a joyous moment for Romans. But total transparency is the best way to go forward amice.

Vale.
The gods command me to sanctify my every action, and I obey them with all my soul, and they assure me of great benefits from my enterprise, if only I persist.
Gaius Valerius Scipio
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:46 am

I found the post on Facebook finally. It seems that the temple that was desecrated by fanatical Christians was not a building, but just a site with an altar. In Latin the word "templum" refers to the place. The actual building is called "aedes" (e.g. Aedes Iovis).
So the building is new, the place with the altar is not.
The project has been growing over time and still a lot is missing in order to be finished. This explains everything. No fraud is going on there. Sulla's accusations were made with bad intentions purposely creating a false impression by confusing the sacred site with the building..
Gaius Florius Lupus

Next

Return to Cultus Deorum Romanorum