COMITIA CENTURIATA SESSION VI - CALLED TO ORDER (7 DEC - 24 DEC)

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

COMITIA CENTURIATA SESSION VI - CALLED TO ORDER (7 DEC - 24 DEC)

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:12 am

The sixth session of the Comitia Centuriata is to be called to order starting on Dec. 7th. All Roman Republic citizens are called to attend.

Auspices will be taken by a Provisional Augur on the day of the Assembly.

The order of business is as follows:

I. Election of II Consules. Description of duties can be found here:

download/file.php?id=65

II. Election of II Praetores. Description of duties can be found here:

download/file.php?id=68

III. Election of II Censores. Description of duties can be found here:

download/file.php?id=77

IV. Ratification of LEX CISPIA - IUNIA: Recognition of past magisterial service within Nova Roma. Senate discussion can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2186

The session is to begin on Dec 7th, provided favorable auspices.

The debate phase will proceed from the 7th of Dec. until end of day on Dec. 15th.

Voting is scheduled to begin 16th of Dec. and close on 24th of Dec.

Valete Bene!

L. Aurelius Curio
Consul Minor
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur

Re: COMITIA CENTURIATA SESSION VI - CALLED TO ORDER (7 DEC - 24 DEC)

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:23 pm

P. Iunius Brutus Augur sal.

Auspices were performed at 0720 hrs PST.

I have not witnessed Ex Caelo.

I have witnessed Ex Auibus.

Alites seen from the south-east.

I have not witnessed Ex Diris.

Divine messengers for you and for Rome, established by this ordinance reported by Augur Publius Iunius Brutus to Consul Lucius Aurelius Curio who took these auspices.

AVES ADMITTUNT for the Comitia Centuriata to begin meeting on this day of VII Id. Dec. L. Curtio L. Aurelio cos..
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:25 pm

Salvete Omnes!

I now declare this assembly officially open! All candidates may post their candidacies and debate now may begin on the proposed item for ratification.

Valete Bene!

L. Aurelius Curio
Consul Minor
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:53 pm

The Senate and the people of Rome, dear and respected fellow citizens, before you I publicly declare my candidacy for the post of the Consul of the Roman Republic.

I meet all the necessary requirements for the position of Consul of the Roman Republic.

Hardly any of the citizens of the Roman Republic does not know me, because during my work as the Censor of the Roman Republic, I have the honor to accept applications for citizenship of the majority of the current citizens of the Roman Republic. I am a citizen of the Roman Republic from the first day of its existence, in addition, I am one of those who signed the document that laid the foundation of our Republic - the Declaration of the Roman Republic.

With the Roman Republic a significant part of my life is connected, standing at its source, I do everything possible for its prosperity and fruitful development.

The words of other people will tell you the best about me, so if you want to know more about me, listen to what the common people say, because vox populuses - vox Dei.

The Consul's position is not new for me. Almost a year and a half ago, I was already elected by the majority of votes for this position, becoming the Senior Consul. Some believe that the time of my consulate was one of the best periods of our young Republic.

If the Roman People favor me and give the majority of votes in my favor, like the Consul, I will strive to ensure the development, prosperity and welfare of the Republic of Rome, including by focusing on the following areas:

- I will seek to establish relations with other Roman-oriented communities, and I will not focus exclusively on RPR and NR, always going around in circles. These communities are not the only ones, the world is full of other collectives for whom the word "Rome" is not an empty phrase, so I try to overcome possible obstacles and start a dialogue with new dynamically developing communities.

- I will carry out the reform of the system of civil associations (collegia and societas) to the end. At the same time, the reform will have an emphasis on increasing the attractiveness of civil associations for citizens and non-citizens, on reducing state control, as well as on three basic principles of civil associations: self-organization, self-determination, self-government. In particular, I will take measures to strengthen the significance of civil associations in our Republic.

- I will strive to reform the sphere of finance. Denarius, in its present form, has outlived itself. I will try to carry out, or at least prepare the ground for monetization of denarii and its free conversion, which will create the prerequisites for a stable economic growth of the Republic.

- I will actively develop the military sphere of our Republic, and in particular the direction of historical reconstruction, I will work actively to create the first military formation of the Roman Republic. Creating a full-fledged community of historical reconstruction with a high and high quality level will help the Roman Republic become an authoritative organization, which in turn will attract new people to us.

- I will actively develop the religious sphere, which is an integral part of our Republic. Recently, there is a certain level of stagnation in this process. I am heading the Cultus Mithrae, now this is the most numerous and dynamically developing religious community in the Roman Republic, and I am going to transfer my positive organizational experience to the sphere of the CDR.

- I will intensify the work related to attracting new citizens. Under my able leadership, Sarmatia has become not just another of the Roman provinces, but has become the Sarmatia Magna, the pearl of our Republic, and therefore I am sure that I am able to improve the positive dynamics of the growth of the size of the Roman Republic.

Will I limit myself to these areas? Of course not, I will try to make sure that 2018 will be a year of prosperity and success for the Roman Republic and its People.

By voting for me, you vote for the successful future of the Republic of Rome.

Valete bene,
T. Fl. Severus
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Sarmatia Magna
Sarmatia Magna
Cultus Mithrae
Cultus Mithrae
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Tiberia Salvia Alba » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:19 am

My fellow citizens, I stand before you to put forward my candidacy for the office of the Praetor of the Roman Republic.

I meet all the necessary requirements that are imposed on the office of Praetor of the Roman Republic.

Since the first days of the Republic, I am its citizen, in addition, I am one of the co-founders of the Republic, who left their signature under the Declaration on its creation.

I recently began to follow the cursus honorum, nevertheless, I was already a quaestor, and during this period I performed dignity and proper diligence in fulfilling the duties assigned to me.

In ancient Rome, over time, the position of Praetor was associated with the position of judge and the trial. The basis of these concepts is justice. The Republic is still young, it is not strong enough, so it happens that not all citizens are treated fairly, and some, for whatever reasons, can not fully realize their rights and legitimate interests. This is inevitable, given that our state institutions are not strong enough, but at the same time, it is unacceptable, then what I am going to struggle for is justice for everyone. Each of you could see how ardent and principled I react to the violation of rights, just in time I try to achieve justice. I do this because justice is not just a big word for me, but a principle that I stand for.

I do not give populist promises, however, I can assure you that if I am elected to the office of Praetor, then every citizen whose rights of law and legitimate interests are violated will be able to find my protection and support. You saw how I fight for every inhabitant of the Sarmatia Magna, just as a lioness, I will fight for the violated rights and interests of each of you.

In addition, I am going to deal with the reform of legislation. Already, it is quite cumbersome, and is updated irregularly. A new citizen can hardly get acquainted with the norms, the grains of which are scattered in different lexes. I'm going to fix it before it's too late, that would give everyone the opportunity to simply and conveniently get acquainted with the laws.

In addition, I intend to reform the justice system, making it as simple and convenient as possible, and at the same time historically reliable and fair, so that every citizen can turn to justice and get a fair decision not in half a year, but in a quick reasonable time.

By voting for me, you support traditional Republican values and adherence to the customs of our ancestors.
Tiberia Salvia Alba

Postby Caeso Cispius Laevus » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 am

Salvete Omnes!

I stand as a candidate for CENSOR.

I have served the republic faithfully, first as a quaestor. This year I served again as praetor.

During my time as praetor I learned the value of mediation. Often I was charged with reconciling many disagreeing parties. I think I did this with much success.

I attempted reform of our collegia. It was largely unsuccessful. But this process taught me much. I hope the future praetores and aediles learn from my experiences and find success towards this aim.

As censor I will be a trusty and deligent secretary for our republic. I will work with our magistrates to approve applications and keep our website updated. I will also continue to be a dedicated mediator and uphold our mos maiorum.

I hope you find my good faith towards this task suitable to be awarded the honor of your vote.

Valete,

K. Cispius Laevus
Praetor - L. Curtio L. Aurelio cos.
Caeso Cispius Laevus
Praetor Peregrinus
Praetor Peregrinus

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:47 pm

L. Livius Seneca v. c. omnibus Quiritibus s.p.d.

Mere days ago I completed my full term as quaestor consularis, for which privilege I am intensely grateful to the Roman people who elected me. It was an invaluable experience of our community's government, and I invite anyone who wishes to know more about my quaestorial term to read my public report or simply ask me about the details they seek. Now, however, the growing needs of our young Republic prevent me from retiring into gentlemanly otium, but compel me to once again don the toga candidatus and seek your ballot.

I stand before you as a candidate for next year's praetorship. Others have already remarked on my accomplishments as quaestor despite the very limited purview of that magistracy; and as a direct result of my example in the quaestura, I have now been asked to serve as a lictor and senator—among the most consequential positions in our community. I am therefore asking you now to entrust me with the high office of praetor, and the solemn imperium which accompanies it, so that I might pursue several projects necessary for the abiding prosperity of our Republic.

1. The Pax Romana: The last session of the Senate produced two senatus consulta which were highly significant to the peace of the greater Roman community: the Declaratio Amicitae and the Lex Cispia-Iunia, both of which I supported as quaestor. Should I be elected praetor, it is my intention, alongside next year's consuls, to continue to pursue these efforts at overcoming the pernicious wounds dealt to Roman unity by villains of the past. Having already made informal inquiries, I can confidently affirm that there is much good-will waiting to be acted upon. I specifically envision the institutionalization of dialogue with our Roman partners, and the pursuit of cooperative activities.
  2. Omnibus Legislative Reform: In two years our Republic has produced quite a bit of legislation. Among our many leges, however, there is little in the way of consistency. During my praetorial term, I intend to revise most of our laws to produce texts with uniform formatting, language, and appearance, while leaving their legal content unchanged. In the same spirit of the Twelve Tables, these efforts will make our laws more readable and therefore more accessible to all our magistrates and citizens.
  3. Judicial Reform: There is already broad acknowledgement that the current Lex Iunia-Fabia is not the best apparatus for legal proceedings in our community. Alongside the Collegium legis Romanae, I hope to work towards a new judicial system that is more accessible to all parties (magistrates, plaintiffs, defendants, etc.), protects appellate provisions, and is ultimately more Roman in its constitution.
  4. A Roman Mercatus: Our outgoing praetor urbanus has attempted to stimulate efforts at developing an online market for our Republic. This is an initiative which I fully support, and towards which I have made my own efforts during my quaestorial term. As praetor, I intend to breathe new life into this project and bring viable online merchandise to the Roman people. Not only will this promote interest and activity within our Republic, but also has the potential to reinvigorate the listless denarius.
There are other, lesser issues which I think are also worthy of pursuit, such as cleaning up the Bibliotheca, and updating and consolidating our numerous venues for official record-keeping. Nevertheless, the most important thing I wish to bring to the praetura is follow-through. We have had too many magistracies abandoned mid-term, too many projects left stillborn, too many promises made without any results. As one of the few magistrates of 2017 to complete an entire term—and with fruits to show for it—I hope that I have proven to the Roman people my dedication to duty and devotion to my word. I will continue to advance the accomplishments I have made in the past year (citizenship certificates, the ludi circenses, improving our Bibliotheca, etc.), and as praetor, intend to give rise to several new initiatives. It is, however, only with your vote that I will be able to do this.

I place myself at the disposal of any Quirite who wishes to know more about me or my intentions for the praetura during this candidacy. Please contact me however is most convenient for you. Otherwise, I look forward to your support at the cista.

Valete optime.

P. Iunius Brutus, censor wrote:"A great choice and a dedicated citizen!" (Nov. 21, 2016).

T. Flavius Severus, censor wrote:"Seneca is a venerable vir who showed and revealed the true potential and significance of the quaestura, [who] honestly and conscientiously performed his duty, bringing significant benefits to the Roman People" (Nov. 19, 2017).

L. Aurelius Curio, consul wrote:"I support ... Seneca ... I believe [he] will do outstanding things in this office and future offices should [he] choose to further pursue a career in politics" (Oct. 23, 2016).

C. Curtius Philo Aurelianus, patrician wrote:"Seneca has always proven to be mild-mannered and a gentleman" (Jul. 31, 2017).

G. Florius Lupus, patrician wrote:"[Seneca is] somebody who is good in getting things done very efficiently, a character trait that I highly appreciate" (Jul. 31, 2017).
Lucius Livius Seneca
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:08 pm

L. Aurelius Curio omnibus in Comitio sal.

Most honorable and respected citizens of Rome, I come before you today to stand for the position of censor, the requirements for which I have met according to the LEX CURIATORUM: On the Censors.

I have been with our august community since shortly after it's beginning, and served as its first plebeian aedile. For my work during this term, I was the first citizen to be awarded the Corona Ovalis.

I have followed the path of our ancestors, serving as consul before standing for the esteemed position of censor. As most of you are aware, Fortuna demanded that I govern alone for much of my term due to the illness of our dear consul maior, L. Curtius Philo. Despite this challenge, I have nevertheless laid groundwork for provincial growth, implemented the legal processes our Republic has developed for itself, and forged deeper ties with our fellow Romans.

We all know the primary job of the censor: the approval of citizens. In this regard, I know I will do well. I am almost always around and available, checking the forum several times per day. This will allow me to approve citizens and answer other censorial requests (name changes, etc.) quickly and efficiently. This is the least our citizens deserve.

Another important function of the censura is it's duty as regimen morum, or guide of public morality. This is a responsibility I take most sincerely. Our public morality is of the utmost importance not only for internal affairs, but also how we are seen throughout the community-at-large. In this pursuit, I would be vigilant in this duty by issuing Censorial notas against those who violate the mos maiorum, whether they be citizen or magistrate.

The virtues and morals of our ancestors are not mere words to be spoken of when convenient; they are actions that I strive to embody in my everyday life—the very same which I strive to instill in my children as they get older.

Additionally, when the need arises, I would work with my Censorial colleague with appointing new Senatores to our honorable Senate. I would strive to make sure only the most virtous and deserving individuals are elevated to this post to serve our community and citizen body.

Lastly, in the event the lustrum cannot be performed by the end of this year, I promise to perform it as soon as possible under the watchful gaze of Iuppiter Optimus Maximus, even if I must construct an altar of turf to do so. The lustrum is of the utmost importance to our community, despite the understandable conditions which have prevented its celebration to date.

I ask that when you cast your ballots, you keep my words in mind, Quirites. May the gods guide us all in selecting honorable leaders to carry us forward.

Valete Optime!

L. Aurelius Curio
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Quintus Furius Camillus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:55 am

SALVETE!

I now, once again, put on my proverbial toga candidatus. I come here to announce my candidacy for praetor of our fine Republic.

I have been involved in the RR since the earliest days. Consul Philo, is a close friend and colleague of mine. He showed me the light of our great initiative. He mentored me. I have long been involved in our online Roman reconstructionist community before that.

In the first year of our Republic, during T. Flavio P. Iunio cos, I was a quaestor. In this role, I helped secure of Republic against other peoples who wished to do our community harm. I helped gather evidence and root out those who were false friends. Much of this work was a nasty business that was confined to the confidential fora of the senate. But it was a needed evil during our first year when many wished us to fail. Through these early efforts, my commitment to the RR was made clear. My loyalty is to the Republic, and to no other group or faction. I believe that we are the future of Roman reconstructionists, and we cannot fail.

During the second year of our Republic, during L. Curtio L. Aurelio cos, I served you all as tribune of the plebs. I believe I helped define what this office can become. Together with my colleague, we forced down several proposals by both the senate and comitia curiata that were not in the interests of the citizen. In doing so, we showed that the control of the Republic is not solely in the hands of senate or the corporation. But the people control the Republic. This work was a great test of our declaration of founding and institutions. We passed this test easily. We are stronger for this job.

Due to these labors, I was honored this season to be invited into the senate as a conscript father.

This brings us to the new year ahead. What will it have in store?

I cannot say for sure, but I believe we are at a critical juncture. The Republic has matured over the last two years. We developed our administrative systems and the start of our working culture. We rooted out those that are not genuinely committed to our cause, or worse wanted to harm us discretely. We laid the foundation of a true CDR. We raised funds that guarantee the RR will remain funded for the foreseeable future. We have created a canvass upon which we can now 'really' build. So, friends and Romans, lend me your ears (or eyes?). Let me tell you where we can go from here under my praetorship.

I. We will build a store to sell goods and open this store to other parties. We will allow denarii to pay for parts of products as 'coupons'. This will further increase our treasury.

II. The people of the Republic have shown great support for forging stronger links with other groups. I will take this further. We will form a common forum for non-citizens to engage with the RR and other groups.

III. We will reach out to other reenactment groups together with the Sarmatian legion, the soon to be the official legion of the Republic, and forge new bonds.

IV. We will engage in reform of the collegia in cooperation with leaders of these groups. Likewise, we will solicit opinions from the people to determine what collegia should be founded.

V. I will ask the aediles to reform and improve the way the ludi factions operate.

VI. I will increase accountability upon the magistrates. If a magistrate is not reachable after a set period, I will pass a motion requesting their removal. I with be very efficent towards this task. Similarly, I believe we have too many magistrates. I will look at determining current opinions on the laws in place and consider decreasing the number of quaestores and tribunes for 2019 if deemed necessary.

VII. I will lead a working group to determine current unmet needs of our website.

VIII. I will make sure our calendar is up to date and hold the censors accountable to this task.

IX. I will urge the collegium pontificum, and collegium augurum be founded. The religious life of our Republic is being neglected.

X. I will reform Lex Iunia-Fabia which outlines the conflict resolution process. It is currently profoundly flawed and if challenged would not be usable in its current form.

These are my objectives. If you elect me, and fail to uphold the goals, I encourage you to shame me as I rightly deserve. Drag my name in the mud, cast your verbal stones. Make sure I never hold office again in our fine Republic.

I only have my honor as a Roman. It is my greatest asset. Take note of this, and the seriousness of the proposal I now make!

I offer you my honor on the sacrificial altar of the Comitia Centuriata. You be the judge of my sacrifice with your ballot.

VALETE!
Quintus Furius Camillus
Senator
Senator

Postby Marcus Flavius Celsus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Salvete, omnes!

Many of you knows me well. I’m here from start of Roman Republic as organization.

I started as Curule Aedile and Procurator of Sarmatia in 2016. 2017 is was hard year, many responsibilities and problems fell on me - i had changed two works, my first son, Marcus Flavius Celsus minor, was born, so my duties as Praetor Urbanus was not executed perfectly. But now, I have time for next step.

Here, before you, I’m standing for position of Censor.

I think what i am a perfect candidate for this position - i knows very well the administrative web-system of ResPublica, knows perfectly spirit of our organisation, and people of Rome.
Anyone here knows what I’m a calm and honest man - never been involved in any unlawful or defamatory cases. I know best the way of perfect Romanitas, and promise you what I will stand until death for my views.

I’m here to help new Roman culture, rises from ashes.
Marcus Flavius Celsus
Praetor Urbanus
Praetor Urbanus
Senator
Senator
Governor of Sarmatia Pronvincia
Governor of Sarmatia Pronvincia

Next

Return to Cultus Deorum Romanorum