Religio Romana Reading List

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Religio Romana Reading List

Postby Procula Valeria Messalla » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:10 am

Salvete!

I feel like everyone is so smart, reading the messages here and the website certainly reminds me that I have much to learn. Could we work together to compile a reading list on the Religio Romana? Research is so important to our spiritual approach! I am always looking for useful and credible sources of information.

My favourite book on the Religio Romana is Scheid's, An Introduction to Roman Religion, Indiana University Press, 2003. Sometimes I wish the book went more in depth. Then again, the book is only an "introduction".

What are your preferred resources? Please share!

Valete!
Procula Valeria Messalla

Re: Religio Romana Reading List

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:50 am

A book that particularly changed my view of the Divine in the Cultus is: GRADEL, Ittai. Emperor Worship and Roman Religion. Oxford: Clarendon Press. 2002

This is a review I did on my thoughts: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694269 ... 697024260/

Here is a version of it in pdf: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694269 ... 626949967/
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:33 pm

Salve Messalla,

May I recommend -

Clark, Anna. Divine Qualities: Cult and Community in Republican Rome. Oxford, 2007.

This book goes into greater detail yet is still introductory. It is a good next step from Scheid.

If you are interested PM me.

Vale,

Philo
L. CURTIUS PHILO COS. SEN.
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:49 am

Salvete

I would like to suggest the book of Frances Bernstein - Classical Living: A Month to Month Guide to Ancient Rituals for Heart and Home:

http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Living- ... cal+living

There is a lot of interesting ideas and practical application in this book. This book also contains some quotes from Ovid concerning Cultus Deorum.

Valete
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:52 am

Lucius Curtius Philo wrote:Salve Messalla,

May I recommend -

Clark, Anna. Divine Qualities: Cult and Community in Republican Rome. Oxford, 2007.

This book goes into greater detail yet is still introductory. It is a good next step from Scheid.

If you are interested PM me.

Vale,

Philo

Brutus sal.

Philo, you mentioned this book in another post. I think it is worth reiterating here, it is an excellent book. After Scheid this book is probably one of my personal favourites.

The Gods of Ancient Rome: Religion in Everyday Life from Archaic to Imperial Times, Robert Turcan
http://www.amazon.com/The-Gods-Ancient- ... 0415929741

I also suggest,

Roman Religion: A Sourcebook, Valerie M. Warrior
http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Religion-So ... VZASHJ4C36

If you are very familiar with this topic you won't find anything new in these books. Otherwise, I highly recommend these books as a starting place for developing your own ideas on reconstruction.
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Procula Valeria Messalla » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:38 am

Thank you everyone, I can never have enough books!
Procula Valeria Messalla

Postby numerius iulius dolabella » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:16 am

Appius Iunius Laterensis wrote:Salvete

I would like to suggest the book of Frances Bernstein - Classical Living: A Month to Month Guide to Ancient Rituals for Heart and Home:

http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Living- ... cal+living

There is a lot of interesting ideas and practical application in this book. This book also contains some quotes from Ovid concerning Cultus Deorum.

Valete

We use this for our mothly get togthers of the Houston Classical Pagan Association. I and My fiancee live by this book in our daily practice
numerius iulius dolabella
Governor of Texia Pronvincia
Governor of Texia Pronvincia
Iovis et Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Iovis et Martis et Minervae Sacerdos

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:21 am

Salvete!

I have been reading about the Cultus Deorum for the past 15 years. Over this time I have collected several books on the topic. Recently I have been compiling an index of my books. As part of this process I have created this list.

This is not a comprehensive list of the books out there on the Cultus Deorum, but list only my favourite from own home library. I'm happy to comment on any work listed in this collection.

Library of the Iunia Bruta Household: On the Cultus Deorum wrote:1) Henig, Martin, and Anthony King. Pagan Gods and Shrines of the Roman Empire. Oxford: Oxford U Committee for Archaeology, 1986. :
2) Stamper, John W. The Architecture of Roman Temples: The Republic to the Middle Empire. Cambridge, U.K.: Cambridge UP, 2005.
3) Beard, Mary, John North, and S. R. F. Price. Religions of Rome. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1998.
4) Cumont, Franz. After Life in Roman Paganism; Lectures Delivered at Yale University on the Silliman Foundation. New York: Dover Publications, 1959.
5) Kauppi, Lynn Allan. Foreign but Familiar Gods: Greco-Romans Read Religion in Acts. London: T & T Clark, 2006.
6) Thomson, De Grummond Nancy, and Erika Simon. The Religion of the Etruscans. Austin: U of Texas, 2006.
7) Stek, Tesse Dieder. Cult Places and Cultural Change in Republican Italy: A Contextual Approach to Religious Aspects of Rural Society after the Roman Conquest. Amsterdam: Amsterdam UP, 2009.
8) Rasmussen, Susanne William. Public Portents in Republican Rome. Rome: "L'Erma" Di Bretschneider, 2003. Print.
9) Scullard, H. H. Festivals and Ceremonies of the Roman Republic. Ithaca, NY: Cornell UP, 1981.
10) Preibisch, Paul, and Paul Preibisch. Two Studies on the Roman Pontifices. New York: Arno, 1975.
11) Tripolitis, Antonia. Religions of the Hellenistic-Roman Age. Grand Rapids, MI: W.B. Eerdmans, 2002.
12) Takács, Sarolta A. Vestal Virgins, Sibyls, and Matrons: Women in Roman Religion. Austin, TX: U of Texas, 2008.
13) Rüpke, Jörg. A Companion to Roman Religion. Malden, MA: Blackwell Pub., 2007.
14) Ziolkowski, Adam. The Temples of Mid-Republican Rome and Their Historical and Topographical Context. Roma: "L'Erma" Di Bretschneider, 1992.
15) Ferguson, John. The Religions of the Roman Empire. Ithaca, NY: Cornell UP, 1970.
16) Szemler, G. J. The Priests of the Roman Republic. A Study of Interactions between Priesthoods and Magistracies. Bruxelles: Latomus, 1972.
17) Bispham, Edward, and Christopher John Smith. Religion in Archaic and Republican Rome and Italy: Evidence and Experience. Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn, 2000.
18) Harvey, Paul B., and Celia E. Schultz. Religion in Republican Italy. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge UP, 2006.
19) Parke, H. W., and B. C. McGing. Sibyls and Sibylline Prophecy in Classical Antiquity. London: Routledge, 1988.
20) Annus, Amar. Divination and Interpretation of Signs in the Ancient World. Chicago, IL: Oriental Institute of the U of Chicago, 2010.
21) MacBain, Bruce. Prodigy and Expiation: A Study in Religion and Politics in Republican Rome. Bruxelles: Latomus, 1982.
22) Clark, Anna. Divine Qualities: Cult and Community in Republican Rome. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2007.
23) Hersch, Karen K. The Roman Wedding: Ritual and Meaning in Antiquity. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2010.
24) Beerden, Kim. Worlds Full of Signs: Ancient Greek Divination in Context.
25) Tellegen-Couperus, O. E. Law and Religion in the Roman Republic. Leiden: Brill, 2012.
26) Bodel, John P., and Saul M. Olyan. Household and Family Religion in Antiquity. Malden, MA: Blackwell Pub., 2008.
27) Lipka, Michael. Roman Gods: A Conceptual Approach. Leiden: Brill, 2009.
28) Schultz, Celia E. Women's Religious Activity in the Roman Republic. Chapel Hill, NC: U of North Carolina, 2006.
29) Várhelyi, Zsuzsanna. The Religion of Senators in the Roman Empire: Power and the beyond. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2010.
30) Mueller, Hans-Friedrich. Roman Religion in Valerius Maximus. London: Routledge, 2002.
31) Staples, Ariadne. From Good Goddess to Vestal Virgins: Sex and Category in Roman Religion. London: Routledge, 1998.
32) Johnston, Sarah Iles. Ancient Greek Divination. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell Pub., 2008.
33) Feeney, D. C. Literature and Religion at Rome: Cultures, Contexts, and Beliefs. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1998.
34) Scheid, John, Clifford Ando, and John Scheid. The Gods, the State, and the Individual: Reflections on Civic Religion in Rome., 2016.
35) Knust, Jennifer Wright, and Zsuzsanna Várhelyi. Ancient Mediterranean Sacrifice. New York: Oxford UP, 2011.
36) Ando, Clifford. Roman Religion. Edinburgh: Edinburgh UP, 2003.
37) Smoke Signals for the Gods: Ancient Greek Sacrifice from the Archaic Through Roman Periods. S.l.: Oxford UP, 2015.
38) Ando, Clifford. The Matter of the Gods: Religion and the Roman Empire. Berkeley: U of California, 2008.
39) MacMullen, Ramsay. Paganism in the Roman Empire. New Haven: Yale UP, 1981.
40) Scheid, John, and Janet Lloyd. An Introduction to Roman Religion. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 2003.
41) Adkins, Lesley, and Roy Adkins. Dictionary of Roman Religion. New York: Facts on File, 1996.
42) Vaahtera, Jyri. Roman Augural Lore in Greek Historiography: A Study of the Theory and Terminology. Stuttgart: Franz Steiner, 2001.
43) Warrior, Valerie M. Roman Religion: A Sourcebook. Newburyport, MA: Focus Pub./R. Pullins, 2002.
44) Turcan, Robert. The Gods of Ancient Rome: Religion in Everyday Life from Archaic to Imperial times. New York: Routledge, 2001.
45) Turcan, Robert. The Cults of the Roman Empire. Oxford, UK: Blackwell, 1996.
46) Ogilvie, R. M. The Romans and Their Gods in the Age of Augustus. New York: Norton, 1970.
47) Wildfang, Robin Lorsch., and Jacob Isager. Divination and Portents in the Roman World. Odense: Odense UP, 2000.
48) Beard, Mary, and John North. Pagan Priests: Religion and Power in the Ancient World. Ithaca, NY: Cornell UP, 1990.
49) Santangelo, Federico. Divination, Prediction and the End of the Roman Republic., 2013
50) Smith, Rowland. Julian's Gods: Religion and Philosophy in the Thought and Action of Julian the Apostate. London: Routledge, 1995.
51) Hope, Valerie M. Roman Death: Dying and the Dead in Ancient Rome. London: Continuum, 2009.
52) Orr, David Gerald. Roman Domestic Religion: A Study of the Roman Household Deities and Their Shrines at Pompeii and Herculaneum, 1972.
53) Vanggaard, Jens H. The Flamen: A Study in the History and Sociology of Roman Religion. Copenhagen: Museum Tusculanum, 1988.

Valete!

P. Iunius Brutus
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:27 am

Brutus sal.

There are three new books that came out this year that are worth reading in my opinion.

I add these books to my list above:

The Gods, the State, and the Individual: Reflections on Civic Religion in Rome, John Scheid - https://www.amazon.com/Gods-State-Indiv ... 889&sr=1-3

Household Gods: Private Devotion in Ancient Greece and Rome, Alexandra Sofroniew - https://www.amazon.com/Household-Gods-P ... e+and+Rome

Legible Religion: Books, Gods, and Rituals in Roman Culture, Duncan MacRae - https://www.amazon.com/Legible-Religion ... %20Culture
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Octavius Aurelius Cursor » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:02 pm

Salve!

"A Day In Old Rome" by William Stearns Davis help set the foundation of my beliefs today. Although this is not solely on religion, it does cover every aspect of life in ancient Roma.

https://archive.org/details/dayinoldrome007400mbp here is an internet copy
Do Ut Des
Octavius Aurelius Cursor

Next

Return to Cultus Deorum Romanorum