Mithras

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Mithras

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:50 am

Salvete!

I would like to ask if there is any person here who practice cult of Mithras?

Vale,

Laterensis
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Re: Mithras

Postby Lucius Vitellius Triarius » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:00 am

I don't, but I got this email the other day, which may be of interest to you:

Salvete omnes!

The weekend after next will be MithraCon, held at a hotel almost on the Yale University campus. Friday evening we all go to an Indian restaurant within easy walking distance of the hotel, and Saturday from 10 am to 5 pm (when they kick us out) in Yale's Sterling Memorial Library, doing research on whatever you want. Library stacks passes are $20, and are good for 2 weeks, which would allow you to get onto Orbis, Yale's online catalog, and order books which are in other libraries or in off campus storage, to be brought to the main circulation desk for you to pick up. We set up base camp in the reference room, which is down a short hall from the circulation desk. Yale has BookScan, so you can scan material into a file which you can send to your personal email address; that service is free.

Saturday evening we have a potluck Roman dinner and, if Pattie (don't know her Roman name) comes with her hotel room mithraeum, we can explore what a mithraic ritual may have been like. We will also have presentations and discussion on Mithraism and other things Roman (I will be bringing mead and a microwave). On Sunday, we head over to the Yale Art Gallery, which houses the cult niche of the Dura Europos mithraeum (this is one of the most famous mithraea); you can almost step into it.

This might be a great opportunity for those who can make it to MithraCon to gather, discuss things, eat and drink, and learn about Mithraism and other cults of the Roman Empire. Cassius will be there with a case or two of his antiquities for sale (all legitimately acquired); if any of you have items for sale we have a limited area for your display. Handouts are especially welcome. I will have my copy of Vermaseren plus other books on Mithraism available (we have a junior suite). The conference website is http://www.mithracon.org, and OK to pay for attendance (which goes toward paying for the jr suite) on site.

The hotel does have a parking lot; if you have a large vehicle, you will want to park on the upper story, since the lower story was designed for small cars. Parking is, I believe, $12/day.

Since we are a really small conference, so far the guys have been sleeping in the living room part of the suite and the ladies in the adjoining bedroom. We can get a rollaway or two in addition.

If you think you can come, please email me at jrsibley@snet.net so's we can plan stuff.

Thanks!
L VITELLIVS TRIARIVS
lvtriarius AT yahoo DOT com

Awarded the Corona Civica in L. Curtio L. Aurelio cos.
Upon order of the senate for excellence of service to the senate and people of Rome in founding the Republic

Lucius Vitellius Triarius
Apollinis Sacerdos
Apollinis Sacerdos

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:04 am

Salve

Thank you for the answer. I got this email too. Unfortunately it is too far for me.
I am more interested into Roman cult of Mithras without mixing it with Iranian Tradition.
Generally I practice Cultus Deorum + Roman Mithraism.

Vale

Laterensis
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:26 am

Mithraism is something I never quite understood. Sometimes it looks like q "light" version of monotheism, some time no. Would be nice to see some good articles on the subject. Anyone has any suggestion?
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:01 am

Salve

I would suggest this book:
The Mysteries of Mithras: The Pagan Belief That Shaped the Christian World
http://www.amazon.com/Mysteries-Mithras ... =mithraism
but this is a bit of mix of Roman and Iranian Mithraism. In general this book can gives basic info and explanations.

Vale
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:03 am

Salve,

Laterensis, in Sarmatia, we have strong Roman Mithraistic community.

Vale!
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Vergilius Crassus » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:26 pm

Appius Iunius Laterensis wrote:Salvete!

I would like to ask if there is any person here who practice cult of Mithras?

Vale,

Laterensis

I am :roll:
Quintus Vergilius Crassus
Senator
Senator

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:28 pm

Wow. Good to hear it!

So I would appreciate if we can share some practical experiences and rituals - if it is possible.
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Quintus Vergilius Crassus » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:44 pm

My English is not enough good to do so. Better contact Titus Flavius Severus, he can communicate well. Nice to see another mithraist brother here.
Quintus Vergilius Crassus
Senator
Senator

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:54 pm

I see. I think that it can be good if we can share the things here.
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Next

Return to Cultus Deorum Romanorum