Mithras

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Re: Mithras

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:53 pm

Quintus Vergilius Crassus wrote:Better contact Titus Flavius Severus, he can communicate well.

Aha-ha-ha ((((= I am extremely grateful to you, for the recognition of my modest abilities in the English language! Gratias tibi ago!

Appius Iunius Laterensis wrote:I think that it can be good if we can share the things here.

I will try to briefly describe the doctrine of the community to which belongs Crassus. This doctrine is based on academic research. Fortunately, over the past few decades, academic science has made a strong breakthrough in this direction. Gaps in the historical doctrine are compensated by ideas of Platonism (Neoplatonism), and Stoicism (to a lesser extent). Thus, the end product of a research works - a holistic doctrine.

This summer, there are plans to hold a "mystery", at least, have an idea to organize a sacred feast. Not far from the place where it will be a festival of historical reenactment, there is a place that can be "converted" into a good mithraeum.
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:14 pm

Thank you Titus Flavius Severus for your willing to share it.

In fact almost everything concerning Roman Mithraism is deduction and speculations. There are no books or descriptions of rituals - everything is lost. There are only some short passages of the texts or paints (pictures) with Mithraic symbols or ideas. So we can say that practically current Roman Mithraism is reconstructed only on the base of these things.
The situation is different concerning cult of Iranian Mithra. Today majority of the scientists proved that these two cults are different and independent - and personally I agree with it.
But any way - I will be grateful for any inspiration presented here - photos, rituals, prayers etc.
As a first step I put here the photo of my personal altar of Mithras

Mithras.jpg
Mithras.jpg (77.05 KiB) Viewed 3302 times

Vale
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:53 pm

In my opinion, of course, quite a bit of material came to us for the reconstruction of the religion. However, this is better than nothing. Number of narrative, graphic and other sources is sufficient to restore the general principles of theology, cosmology and the main myth of Mithraism.

In Sarmatia few citizens have a degree in history, thanks to this we have available for a whole range of scientific works, which are not freely available. While the overall scientific and popular literature on Mithraism appear once in ten years, very few people are interested in special scientific research.

Mithraism is different from the Roman religion to its outward expression. Mithraism is more like a philosophical religion, and it does not have such a pronounced emphasis on the ritual.

Regarding prayers and rituals we have had several discussions. As everyone is well aware, we do not have any of it, that has reached our days. Then we have two options, either to invent everything themselves or borrow from the Persian Mithraism. But none of the options anyway unsuitable.

Prayer - turning to God, it does not need to formalize, if it corresponds to the meaning of the doctrine. Ritual in Mithraism did not play a significant role as a mystery. The main thing on which all efforts should be sostredotocheny modern Mithraists, this re-creation of the Mysteries - the true foundations of Mithraism.
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:58 pm

I agree with you. In current situation we can only make some kind of reconstruction of Mithraism.
So I suggest - lets do it! In my humble opinion we should to not mix it with Iranian Mithraism - which is different tradition.
But - lets start it! Practicing Cultus Deorum and Mithraism does not exclude one another.
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:14 pm

Appius Iunius Laterensis wrote:we should to not mix it with Iranian Mithraism - which is different tradition.

Yes, I fully agree. Oh, and a couple of years ago I read a very interesting job, it was called "Plato and Mithraism." This work was interesting because in particular regarding the issue of adaptation of Persian Mithraism in Plato's philosophy.

Appius Iunius Laterensis wrote:Practicing Cultus Deorum and Mithraism does not exclude one another.

This is true.

Are you alone? I mean, maybe you relate to any mithraists group or community? The fact that Mithraism is the religion of collective, cohesive group.
Titus Flavius Severus
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:24 pm

Yes, I am alone. I have no access to other people interested in Roman things. I am from Asia Minor.
I really think that we should to start to do it - not only share Mithraism but in general Cultus Deorum as well. I know that many people like only Roman culture or philosophy but - in my humble opinion - in majority cases these things are "one complete set". Lets take for example Stoicism. I am also Stoic and we can see clearly in Stoic writings that they were practitioners of Cultus Deorum, etc.

If I can help in any way - I will be happy to do it. My academic education is Religious Science and Philosophy.
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:39 pm

In this case, I think that Mithra smiling while looking at our dialogue. The fact that a group of Sarmatia Mithraists will create a board within the Roman Republic. Roman Republic - a convenient platform to bring people together who are interested in Roman history, including the history of Mithraism. It will be a religious collegium, whose main goal is to unite the Roman Mithraists, coordinate the work of local communities and develop a common doctrine.
So it's great that we have met on this forum, the more that you have a good education. I think that what lies ahead is very fruitful collaboration.
Titus Flavius Severus
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:46 pm

Very well said :)

Yes, I hope that Mithras and Dii Romani will support all of this. I can see that in the whole world there is some kind of Spiritual Revival - people of different nations start to go back to the Gods of their Ancestors.
But I have to say that I do not want to be involved into any religious and political wars - I have seen many of them and I decided to keep myself away from such things.

Once one wise person said to me: "Let's stop to tell how bad and not-correct are others. Let's focus on our goal!".
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:55 pm

Appius Iunius Laterensis wrote:But I have to say that I do not want to be involved into any religious and political wars - I have seen many of them and I decided to keep myself away from such things.

It is excluded. Mithraism religion of order and concord. So, I see no reason for such negative developments. Most of Mithraism can not be revived without the involvement of the community and the collective, that is why the revival of Mithraism should start it with like-minded associations.
Titus Flavius Severus
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:57 pm

Happy to hear it :D
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos