Mithras

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Re: Mithras

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:39 am

Salvete

There is a bit silent here... So will we make something concerning Mithraism? or we will keep silence ;)

Valete
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:01 am

Appius Iunius Laterensis wrote:Salvete

There is a bit silent here... So will we make something concerning Mithraism? or we will keep silence ;)

Valete

Salvete,

I'm not a cultore who practices Mithraism. However, this would make an excellent collegium.

If someone wants to take the initiative here is the application form: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_account/create

Looking at the bylaws of existing collegia may provide inspiration on how to structure the group logistically. I'm eager to see how this project develops!

Valete,

Brutus
Publius Iunius Brutus
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:22 pm

Appius Iunius Laterensis,

I am engaged in this issue, however, due to a number of circumstances, I do that I can not bring the case to the end. Work on the concept is complete, at the moment we co-ordinate some of the provisions of the future by-laws. But until I get back from a trip, this work will be not ended.
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Sun May 01, 2016 8:22 am

Salve Titus Flavius Severus

I understand. Thank for for info.

vale
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Sun May 01, 2016 10:05 am

Appius Iunius Laterensis,

When we're done, I'll let you know.

Vale!
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Sun May 01, 2016 10:22 am

Salve Titus Flavius Severus

Thank you very much!
BTW - I think that can be good if you or one of You can make Mithraic Collegium - as it was suggested by Publius Iunius Brutus.

Vale
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Marcus Flavius Celsus » Sun May 08, 2016 11:28 am

Salve, Laterense!

It's nice to see someone who interested in Mithra, same as people of Sarmatia!

With Titus Flavius Severus we spend a lot of evenings, try to formulate a basis for Roman Mithraism. This is some sort of philosophical debates and freely flying thoughts based on information what we have. In our discussions we formulated some points what must be performed in any (as we think) Mithraistic practices.

First - it must be based on ( or if i said more correctly "include") Roman Polytheistic traditions - like Lares and Manes (Household worships), or even other Gods Celebrating, as part of ancient Roman World. As we think realies life of ancient romans can't include denial of existing culture. So Roman Culture is first basis.

Second - advanced philosophical thought and astronomical science - is second and third basis for Mithraism. Understanding deep cultural and scientific situation in Roman Empire from I to III century. It’s about Neoplathonic Pantheism - one start for all in our world. Most of all it’s texts by Plotinus (existing a lot of texts survived to our time), and his concepts based on Platon ideas.
And about Taurocony as symbol of end Astrological Epoсh. In this work we use some information from information what we know about life of Emperor Julian (also called as Julian the Apostate), and modern articles based on newly discovered archeological evidence.

In our research we find some new information - It was thought that Mithraism was the only male cult. But recent studies have found that it is not. I hope in future we will have more information about this.

Vete.
Marcus Flavius Celsus
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Appius Iunius Seneca » Sun May 08, 2016 12:20 pm

Salve Celse

Thank you very much for sharing. I agree with you.
All the pints which you made are clear. I know that in majority of the things concerning Roman Mithraism are deduction and reconstruction.

There is still practical aspect - how to make rituals, prayers etc... this is the field which is still empty and in our Res Publica Romana we should to start to arrange it - my humble opinion

Vale
APPIVS IVNIVS SENECA
Appius Iunius Seneca
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Sun May 08, 2016 7:29 pm

In regard to Mithras, there is a lady here in Connecticut who arranges visits to the Harvard college library every year, to spend the day in the Library working on the stories and information about the cult of Mithrus. The next day is spent in one of the hotel rooms with each attendee discussing what he or she found in the library, about the subject, the previous day. The lady has been doing this effort now for several years. It is also my understanding that the museum associated with the school has a mock-up of a Mithras cave and religious symbols done in the manner found in various places within the Roman Republic / Empire. Several of my friends have attended the weekend activity, and tell me that such is very interesting.

Respectfully Submitted;

Marcus Audens.
Marcus Minucius Audens

Postby Marcus Valerius Corvus » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:42 pm

I do.
I don't know how many people do here in he US but I do know of a couple who do both men and women. Though as to over all I'm not sure how many Mithraists are here in total in the US.
May the Light of Lord Mithras Bless You and Shine upon You
Marcus Valerius Corvus

Previous

Return to Cultus Deorum Romanorum