[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4855: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4857: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4858: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4859: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Roman Republic: Res publica Romana • View topic - Societas Numaea: Creating a standardized ceremonial text

Societas Numaea: Creating a standardized ceremonial text

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Societas Numaea: Creating a standardized ceremonial text

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Wed May 18, 2016 6:18 am

L. Curtius Philo Cultoribus Deorum et omnibus salutem plurimam dicit.

For several years, it has been my dream to create an introductory book for the Cultus Deorum. This book would take the best scholarly evidence and distil it down to a practical guide to the traditions of the Cultus Deorum. The goal of this book is to positively introduce the practice of this wonderful spiritual practice to modern inexperienced cultores. When evidence is lacking, or ancient methods are impractical, the book outlines such facts and suggests plausible scholarly alternatives.

It has always been my intention to make such an introductory book readily available and accessible. I believe that such a book is important for reaching new and prospective cultores. The Roman Republic has allowed me to team up with several citizens to work on this book. We have an amazing wealth of knowledgable people here! Several early chapters of this book were incorporated into the Roman Republic website. Some of these chapters are;The Deities (http://romanrepublic.org/bibliotheca/wiki/gods.html), Cultus Deorum Definitions (http://romanrepublic.org/bibliotheca/wi ... tions.html), and the Roman Virtues (http://romanrepublic.org/wip/virtues.html).

I'm happy to report that this text is now nearly 75% complete.

The recent discussion on this message board has inspired me towards completing a standardized text outlining ceremonial formula for every important date on the Roman calendar. These ceremonies are to use scholarly evidence, known ritualistic formulaic patterns, and ancient Roman literature. All ceremonies are to be written for the Sacra Publica, but could be adapted for private use if one chooses.

To facilitate this significant work Brutus and I have decided to found a private societas. This group will serve as a collaborative which can organize this large project, and reimburse citizen authors, experts, and editors. This group shall be known as the Societas Numaea in honor of King Numa Pompilius. As you know, Numa is credited with discovering many of the traditions of the Cultus Deorum.

This societas shall allow any citizen who donates 35 denarii 2.5% ownership in the societas, 70 denarii 5% ownership in the societas. A maximum of 140 denarii may be donated for a 10% stake in the societas. Those who control at least 10% of the societas will be granted positions on the board of directors and may vote on societas policy. The founding board of directors will consist of myself and Consul-Sacerdos P. Iunius Brutus.

Those who wish to donate less may do so. Such donations will be recognized by crediting the donors in the final publication.

All funds will be used to pay authors who work on this project in denarii. One does not have to be a societas owner to be an author. All authors will be credited for their work. All ceremonial text must be original or directly sourced from ancient works.

The final text will be submitted to the future CP for approval and revision. I hope that both an electronic and paper version of this text can be published. 50% of any denarii profits will be donated to the CP, 20% will be divided proportionately between the owners of the societas, and 30% will be retained by the Societas Numaea for future projects and publications pertaining to the Cultus Deorum. Non-denarii profits will be donated directly back to the Roman Republic.

Once the societas application is approved more details will be released.

I'm eager to hear your ideas about this new project. Also, a big thank you to Brutus for designing the logo!

bene valete.

Philo
L. CURTIUS PHILO COS. SEN.
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Re: Societas Numaea: Creating a standardized ceremonial text

Postby Lucius Vitellius Triarius » Wed May 18, 2016 6:48 am

This is absolutely outstanding, Philo! Outstanding!
L VITELLIVS TRIARIVS
lvtriarius AT yahoo DOT com

Lucius Vitellius Triarius
Apollinis Sacerdos
Apollinis Sacerdos

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Wed May 18, 2016 9:27 am

Salve Philo!

I'm excited to see this develop. If Societas Numaea is successful in developing a book outlining every major ritual within the Sacra Publica, I would argue this would be one of the greatest achievements of the Cultus Deorum in well over a millennium.

Making this project a success is certainly one of my priorities as Consul, Sacerdos and as a Roman cultor.

Vale!

Brutus

Publius Iunius Brutus
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Marcus Grattius Frenzius » Wed May 18, 2016 1:06 pm

I'm eager to see what you've come up with
Marcus Grattius Frenzius

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Thu May 19, 2016 2:02 am

Salvete,

The Societas Numaea has been approved!

You can see the detailed bylaws at this address; http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 0Numaea/50

Ownership of the Societas is now up for sale. Transferring the following amounts of denarii to the Societas will provide:

10% ownership + seat on board of directors = 140 denarii

5% ownership + seat on board of directors if citizen is a Sacerdos = 70 denarii

2.5% ownership = 35 denarii

You can transfer denarii here; http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/denari ... e_transfer

Our first project will be creating a standardized ceremonial text and formula for all important days on the calendar. I will be posting an additional thread concerning this topic.

vale.

Philo
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Furius Camillus » Thu May 19, 2016 3:23 am

SALVE!

Philo my warm salutations and best wishes! I will cheerfully offer my services as an author and editor!

Presently I do not have any denarii to spare. When this changes, I will buy into this important enterprise!

VALE!
Quintus Furius Camillus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Fri May 20, 2016 5:18 am

Salvete,

I am also here to provide my help! I think it is a great addition to our community.
I offer my warm congratulations on the establishment of this societas, Philo! Although I am not as experienced with the religious aspects as most are here, I can help with Latin and technical items. Luckily for me, Liber is not a hard god to please!
I am always, of course, willing to learn more about these aspects of our community so that I may better serve our religious practices and the Republic.
I hope I can offer my help in any way and provide my services as sacerdos to you!

C Cassia Longina
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Sat May 21, 2016 9:26 am

Salve Cassia!

Welcome to the board of directors, and thank you for your support.

Current partners on Societas Numaea are;

T. Gratidius Nero - 10% owner -- BoD member
Cn. Cassia Longina - 5% owner - BoD member
L. Vitellius Triarius - 5% owner - BoD member
L. Curtius Philo - 10% owner - BoD member - MAGISTER
P. Iunius Brutus - 10% owner - BoD member - DECURIO MAIOR

Shares remaining to be purchased = 60%

vale.

Philo
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:05 am

Welcome to the new board of directors, and thank you for your support.

Current partners of Societas Numaea as of Sext. VII are;

L. Aurelius Curio - 10% owner -- BoD member
C. Aurelius Victor - 5% owner -- BoD member
T. Gratidius Nero - 10% owner -- BoD member
Cn. Cassia Longina - 5% owner - BoD member
L. Vitellius Triarius - 5% owner - BoD member
L. Curtius Philo - 10% owner - BoD member - MAGISTER
P. Iunius Brutus - 10% owner - BoD member - DECURIO MAIOR

Shares remaining to be purchased = 45%

vale.

Philo