[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4855: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4857: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4858: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4859: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Roman Republic: Res publica Romana • View topic - Discussing Praefatio - Stage II [SOCIETAS NUMAEA]

Discussing Praefatio - Stage II [SOCIETAS NUMAEA]

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Discussing Praefatio - Stage II [SOCIETAS NUMAEA]

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Fri May 27, 2016 9:10 am

L. CURTIUS PHILO COS. SEN.
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Re: Discussing Praefatio - Stage II [SOCIETAS NUMAEA]

Postby Marcus Grattius Frenzius » Fri May 27, 2016 2:41 pm

The fire of Vesta should be the first priority as from it all other lamps, candles, etc will be lit. Vesta's fire serves to receive all offerings and thus it should be lit first because it is ideal that your charcoal disc receives Her heat and energy or else your incense stick or cone. Vesta may come before Janus in this instance simply because we do not maintain household fires, however, She should not be given any offerings initially because that place of importance belongs to Janus alone. It is Greek practice to offer the fire Goddess both first and last, while in Rome Vesta is always given the final place of importance at the end of the rite. The first offering then goes to Janus with incense and wine.
Marcus Grattius Frenzius

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sat May 28, 2016 6:34 am

Salve,

I usually light my candles, incense, etc. as the first thing I do (after purifying) and then I offer the wine or food. I typically begin with the candles, then move to the incense, and finally the other offerings. I typically do not *start* with the gods and address the ancestors first, then comes Janus, and lastly Vesta.
As for the offerings, on normal days, I usually keep fresh water, salt, wine, and dried foods (like crackers, or rice) - it tends to keep the bugs away. If it is a holiday, I may offer honey cakes or the closest I can get to the "first wine" for Liber.
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:22 am

Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Postby Caeso Cispius Laevus » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:23 am

Caeso Cispius Laevus
Propraetor
Propraetor

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:08 am

Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:47 am

Id put the words Pater or Mater after the name instead of before or simply write it in english. Writing Mater Vesta sounds strange to me. Id either write it Vesta Mater or Mother Vesta personally. But that's just me...
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:05 am

Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:17 am

Curio Sal.

I tend to agree with Philo on this matter. Consistent English throughout our ceremonies would be more clear to the general populace. After all, not everyone has even a minor understanding of Latin. And I know a few people that have even been scared away by the prospect of Latin in rituals, as they didn't fully understand it.

Valete!

L. Aurelius Curio
Vis per Unitatem Romanam

Lucius Aurelius Curio
Augur
Augur
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Fortunae Sacerdos
Fortunae Sacerdos