[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4855: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4857: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4858: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4859: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Roman Republic: Res publica Romana • View topic - I hope one day we can do the same...

I hope one day we can do the same...

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

I hope one day we can do the same...

Postby Procula Valeria Messalla » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:18 am

The Valheim Hof in Denmark just opened, the first temple to Odin in over a millennium. It looks beautiful.

http://spangenhelm.com/valheim-hof-denm ... odin-gods/

I pray for the day I can make an offering to Jupiter in his temple. Citizens and Cultores, this is why we must remain diligent and work towards rebuilding our customs! Our goal must be real temples!
Procula Valeria Messalla

Re: I hope one day we can do the same...

Postby Quinta Albia Corvina » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:13 am

We already have some reconstructed temples at their original sites, at least in Germany.

One great example is the Gallo-Roman temple complex at Tawern, close to Trier, the Luxembourg border and the Moselle river. It is a mountain temple, deep in the woods, and was once a large pilgrimage site for people travelling the Roman highway from Trier through Gallia. As findings show, the main deities who were revered here were Mercury, Apollo, Epona, and Serapis (proves of Egyptian cults were also discovered in the nearby vicus of Taberna at the foot of the hill).

The more-than-life-sized Mercury statue in the central cella of the Fanum temple was beautifully reconstructed, it is even painted in an authentic Roman style.

The main temple was reconstructed and is even consecrated. You can walk around the cella, as it was custom in Gallo-Roman sanctuaries, and there is a large altar in front of the temple where you can make your offerings. You also have a beautiful vista of the old Imperial city of Augusta Treverorum - once "Roma Secunda" -, lying in one day travel distance (Roman speed ;) ).

We visit this temple regularly, I consecrated my Mercury statue for my Lararium there. You can freely conduct rituals, use the altar, or even play the tibia (as I once did there).

This is our article about the site; even if you can't read German, there are some nice pictures which give a good impression:

"Say not always what you know, but always know what you say." - Claudius
Quinta Albia Corvina

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:27 am

Vis per Unitatem Romanam

Lucius Aurelius Curio
Augur
Augur
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Fortunae Sacerdos
Fortunae Sacerdos

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:58 am

They have one in Thessaloniki that I go to frequently. Although it is dedicated to the Greek gods, they let me leave offerings for the Roman gods. They welcome everyone and are very nice (not much English spoken though).
I also go to the Forum and secretly give my offerings. (; I also go to the Aventine hill to perform my rituals for Liber but there is a park there so there is no temple (anymore).
The one in Thessaloniki is magnificent though!

https://prometheia.wordpress.com/2009/01/09/naos/
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Quinta Albia Corvina » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:19 pm

@Gaia, nice one!

This is the reconstructed Lenus-Mars temple on the "Martberg" (Mons Martis, "Mars hill") high above the Moselle river, located in the Moselle valley near Treis-Karden. Before Roman times, this hilltop was a large Celtic oppidum of the Treveri tribe (one of their central oppida).

Lenus-Mars was a Gallo-Roman healing God of transregional importance in Gallia; another monumental Lenus-Mars temple complex is also known from the Imperial city Augusta Treverorum (Trier), also located at the Moselle river. His main sanctuary at Trier contained a healing spring, temple, pilgrim hostel and cult theater. The Lenus-Mars temple on Mons Martis was also an important pilgrimage site, which was frequented by locals and travellers alike, Romans as well as Celts.

Lenus is a popular Gaulish healing God; his association with Mars refers to his role in defending illness and protecting against diseases. He doesn't have a warrior or military aspect, but his iconography is nevertheless the "classical" depiction of Mars with helmet and spear (interestingly, local Celtic-Roman Mars syncretisms often stress other aspects of Mars rather than the classical "war" association, for example Mars-Intarabus is an agricultural God and "protector of the fields").

Some sacrifical offerings found at the temple site, including a tiny statue, showing his iconography:

"Say not always what you know, but always know what you say." - Claudius
Quinta Albia Corvina

Postby Gaius Valerius Scipio » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:57 am

@Gaia

I will definitely see if I can't go to the one in Greece next year, Thessaloniki sounds like a wonderful place and I'm glad to see that there are temples for the Gods reappearing all over the world. Where exactly is it in Greece?
The gods command me to sanctify my every action, and I obey them with all my soul, and they assure me of great benefits from my enterprise, if only I persist.
Gaius Valerius Scipio

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:21 pm

Salve Scipio!

I enjoyed reading about the Lenus-Mars temple! Thank you!

Thessaloniki is a wonderful place and I highly recommend it. It is in the Macedonia area (not Macedonia-FYROM (: ). The temple is a bit out of the city (in the municipality of Oreokastro) but you can easily reach it by car. If you want the contact information, let me know!
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Numerius Antonius Paullus » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:20 am

Salve!

This is also something I would love to see. A place where people that pay homage to the deities to have a public place to do so. The Americas, especially where I live in Oregon have many beutiful locales that to me at least, speak and echo the names of the gods and goddesses. If only there was a way to erect a temple or shrine to them.

Vale
Numerius Antonius Paullus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:37 am

"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Return to Cultus Deorum Romanorum