Discussing Precatio - Stage IV [SOCIETAS NUMAEA]

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Re: Discussing Precatio - Stage IV [SOCIETAS NUMAEA]

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:14 pm

Brutus sal.

I think we need to address the use of mola salsa here. Traditionally mola salsa (salted and baked spelt flour) was used in all sacra publica rites to mark an animal for sacrifice and to ritually purify the offering. There is limited evidence that non-animal sacrifice required mola salsa. Mola salsa could also be offered alone as a sacrifice.

Traditionally many of the days on the sacra publica calendar entailed offering animals. For several reasons this is difficult today. Based on these issues I think we need to clarify the use of mola salsa within the sacra publica and for its use in non-animal sacrifice.

There is a well-established tradition within the CDR of the proxies being offered instead of animals or people. I think our text being developed should establish the use of such proxies within ceremonial formula. On days when traditionally an animal sacrifice was made I suggest a non-animal proxy be offered based on the list of suggested offerings complied by many citizens here: http://romanrepublic.org/bibliotheca/wiki/ceremony.html.

However, I think the use of a proxy should be verbally noted in the ceremony. I also think that the ritual aspects of the traditional old animal sacrifice should be included in this stage, including mola salsa.

Based in this I made some edits in RED to Philo's suggested formula below.

Lucius Curtius Philo wrote:.

I. This stage begins by washing of the hands again in pure water. We defined "pure" water when discussing the purificatio stage.

II. Next, the deity receiving the primary offering in the immolatio is addressed with the typical format. Again this is performed with the following format used in the salutatio.

OPTIONS:

[touching the altar with the left hand say]

a. {PRIMARY NAME} {EPITHET I}, {LIST ADDITIONAL EPITHETS / DESCRIPTIVE FEATURES OR QUALITIES], known by {PEOPLE/LOCATION FIRST RECOGNIZING DEITY}...

b. {PRIMARY NAME} and {ADDITIONAL EPITHETS / DESCRIPTIVE FEATURES OR QUALITIES], and {ADDITIONAL EPITHETS / DESCRIPTIVE FEATURES OR QUALITIES}, and {ADDITIONAL EPITHETS / DESCRIPTIVE FEATURES OR QUALITIES} etc...

c. {PEOPLE/LOCATION FIRST RECOGNIZING DEITY} call you {PRIMARY NAME} {ADDITIONAL EPITHETS / DESCRIPTIVE FEATURES OR QUALITIES}, and {ADDITIONAL EPITHETS / DESCRIPTIVE FEATURES OR QUALITIES}, and {ADDITIONAL EPITHETS / DESCRIPTIVE FEATURES OR QUALITIES} etc...

d. {PRIMARY NAME} or {ADDITIONAL EPITHETS / DESCRIPTIVE FEATURES OR QUALITIES} or {ADDITIONAL EPITHETS / DESCRIPTIVE FEATURES OR QUALITIES} etc...

e. {PRIMARY NAME} also known as {ADDITIONAL EPITHETS / DESCRIPTIVE FEATURES OR QUALITIES} and {ADDITIONAL EPITHETS / DESCRIPTIVE FEATURES OR QUALITIES} and..

III. Following this greeting, a statement is made addressing why the sacrifice is being made. This does not address what is desired by the deity. Instead, the reason why this particular deity is being observed is stated. The particular qualities of the deity which makes this God or Goddess a good choice for the desired petition is stated. Often past petitions which were granted by the deity are noted. If a particular day is special to the God or Goddess in question this is stated here as well.

If an animal proxy is being used say...

...it was traditional for our forefathers to offer you a {DESCRIPTION OF ANIMAL OFFERED} on this day, which is dedicated to you. In recognition of this ancient tradition an offering of {DESCRIPTION OF OFFERING} is being made as a substitute. Maybe you recognize this offering as equivalent to that made by our pious forefathers who sought your divine patronage.

Then continue with the following, or start with the following if no proxy is being offered.

...on this day it is right to observe your divine presence and patronage. {ADDITIONAL STATEMENTS WHY OFFERING IS BEING MADE}. Oh, {PRIMARY NAME}, I recognize your divine sovereignty! {LIST QUALITIES OF THE GOD/GODDESS THAT MAKE THIS DEITY THE APPROPRIATE CHOICE FOR THE PETITION TO BE MADE}. Devine {PRIMARY NAME}, your kind benevolence, and generous patronage are recalled and honored! {LIST PREVIOUS REQUESTS GRANTED BY THE GOD/GODDESS}.

Optional addition if the day is special to the God/Goddess in question:

Towards these ends, and in recognition of you, I observe this day of {NAME OF THE FESTIVAL/DAY BEING HONOURED}

IV. Next, the offering that will be made is presented on the altar or at the lararium. At this point, the following is spoken as the offering is presented on the altar;

{PRIMARY NAME} {EPITHET I}, {LIST ADDITIONAL EPITHETS / DESCRIPTIVE FEATURES OR QUALITIES...}
for these reasons, towards this aim, in recognition of your benevolence, and if it pleases you, accept this offering of {NAME OF OFFERING} which I have placed before you and will give unto you.

[place offering on altar]

If an animal proxy is used or mola salsa is to be used to purify the altar say:

OPTION ONE IF ROMAN RITE USED:

In preparation of receiving this {NAME OF OFFERING}, which will be marked sacred for you, we ask all the Gods and Goddesses which attend this ceremony and for which it is pious to invoke to purify this humble offering. Towards this request we now offer mola salsa before you and the offering to be purified.

[Sprinkle mola sala on offering or on incense coals]

OPTION TWO IF GREEK RITE USED:

In preparation of receiving this {NAME OF OFFERING}, which will be marked sacred for you, we ask all the Gods and Goddesses which attend this ceremony and for which it is pious to invoke to purify this humble offering. Towards this request we now offer these grains of wheat and pure water before you and the offering to be purified.

[Sprinkle grains of wheat and drops of pure warer on offering or on incense coals]

V. After the offering is presented, the petition made to the deity is stated. This has two parts. First, the help desired is stated. Next, the desired outcome resulting from the divine assistance is stated.

[touching the altar with the left hand say]

Oh, {PRIMARY NAME}, if this offering of {DESCRIPTION OF OFFERING} pleases you, offer your aid towards {STATE THE GENERAL HELP DESIRED IN RETURN}. Devine {PRIMARY NAME}, if you will it, {SPECIFIC OUTCOME DESIRED FROM ORFFERING}.

Optional if vow is to be made.

Pater/Mater {PRIMARY NAME}, if you are willing, assist in fulfilling this petition by {TIME WHEN REQUEST IS TO BE FULFILLED}, in doing so, and in observation of your benevolence and kind patronage,{SPECIFIC ADDITIONAL OFFERING TO BE MADE IF VOW IS FULFILLED} shall be offered to you before {TIME WHEN OFFERING WILL BE MADE IF VOW FULFILLED}. Oh, {PRIMARY NAME}, make it so!

[present the vow in written form on the altar]

Optional, here you may say any additional words required for the specific ceremony being observed.

[ADDITIONAL WORDS HERE]

VI. This stage ends by washing the hands again in pure water and drying them.

Thoughts?

Brutus
Publius Iunius Brutus
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur