Interpretatio Christiana

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Interpretatio Christiana

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Salvete Quirites!

I thought I come up with something controversial today in order to get some life back into this forum.
Let us assimilate Christianity! There were many attempts in Antiquity to integrate foreign gods into the Roman pantheon by identifying them with Roman gods. The most famous example of course is the Interpretatio Graeca that equals all the Greek gods with some Roman equivalent. The same was done with the Norse religion.
Now let us just do the same thing with Christianity!

interpretatio.jpg
interpretatio.jpg (38.86 KiB) Viewed 508 times

Voilà, we have the Christian gods, archangels, and saints Romanized. The trinity Pater, Filius, Spiritus Sanctus is now the triad Iuppiter, Iuno, Apollo.
Now with this in mind any Roman can walk into a Christian Church and feel at home like in an ancient temple, just that the locals worship the gods with some other names.
If we make this idea popular, we can reconcile Christianity with the Religio Romana, and unify the Western religions into one.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus

Post scriptum: I am not that familiar with Norse religion, so I was not able to fill in the Germanic equivalent in all cases. Therefore sorry to all Asatru followers!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Re: Interpretatio Christiana

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:52 pm

Salve amice,

It is funny that your view of YHWH and Jesus is the same as mine lol I see YHWH as Iuppiter Caelus, while Jesus as an Apollo.

I think Romans in general should have, given the nature of our religion in which it is seen that all religions are the Cultus Deorum interpret by other peoples, an ease to participate in religious congregations of all kind. For me a Christian Church is a Temple as much as the Roman Temple in Sarmatia. In a Catholic Church I could, if I pleased, put a candle as a sacrifice to Iuppiter and I believe It would be attended.

The idea that Christianity is an anomaly, one that cannot partake in Interpretatio, makes no logical sense unless you consider it the One True Religion. If you see it as a Religion as all others, the Roman worldview should apply to it as well.

Those are my thoughts.

I would like to know though your thought process on each interpretation. I find it fascinating.

PS: Neptunus is Njord in the Norse tradition. Pluto does not rule the underworld in the Norse tradition, but Proserpina (Hel).
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:03 am

The intolerance of Christianity always made me feel that I did not belong into a church. I even refused to enter the church at my grandfather's funeral and waited outside. But meanwhile I am more relaxed about it.
It took me long to come up with the association of Jesus and Apollo, but later I ound out that I am not the only one who saw it this way. To identify Jesus with Apollo is quite common. Both have the aspects of healers, both are related to the sun, hence Sunday, Dies Domini.
Iuppiter - Yahweh is obvious. Even Romans and Greeks sometimes followed a pantheistic view and believed Iuppiter is everything and the other gods just aspects of Iuppiter. So most Romans had little difficulty with Theodosius' edict. This explains how mysteriously quick the switch from Roman Religion and Christianity could happen. For most Romans, it was perhaps just a formality. Only the names had changed, and the Christians avoid the names anyway. Pater et Filius can just as well apply to Iuppiter and Apollo.

The Holy Spirit is a little bit tricky. However it is obvious that the mother figure is missing in the Christian Trinity and well-known that the ancient Israelites had the triad Yahweh, Ashera, Baal. The holy animal of Ashera was the dove, hence the symbol of the dove for the Holy Spirit. Since it is the wife of the supreme god that was replaced by the dove, i.e. the Holy Spirit, it must be Iuno. There are examples were doves are holy animals of Hera even. However Iuno is not the biological mother of Apollo, but neither is the Holy Spirit. Another minor figure takes this place, a human woman Maria for the Christians, Leto/Latona for the Romans. Therefore Maria is Latona in her function as mother of God. But as only major female character in christian mythology, she had swallowed many pre-christian goddesses. These aspects of Maria must therefore be separated and cannot be attributed to Latona.
Gabriel is the Christian messenger of God, therefore Mercurius.
The holy day of San Miguel is Tuesday and his color red, as I learned from Santeria. Therefore he is apparently Mars.
We can find Christian-Roman equivalents for every deity.

Gratias tibi for the Norse names. It seems to be possible to make a complete system.

Vale!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:10 pm

I agree fully with you. I passed through the same process. I disagree with Christian Doctrine in many accounts, but as of now I blame humans more than Gods. For me, Iuppiter (Yahweh) simply tolerates the barbarism that some Christians demonstrate, the same way that Mercurius (Odin) tolerated it among the Norse and Iuppiter (Zeus) among the Greeks. For me a Church is a holy place the same way as a Shinto Shrine is. They are all seats of the Divine Nature. This view made me a lot more calm and happy, in a way, because it removes the frustration on Christianity and makes me more serene about life. :)
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Florius Aetius » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:49 pm

OHHH what a fascinating topic! :D

Alrighty. As you may or may not know, I am an Adeptus of the Golden Dawn, not very active anymore, but it is one of these things you are for life. So Master Crowley wrote a Book, LIBER 777, where he made extensive lists comparing Dieties after principles. Even in a Platonic Sense, it already was done in the distant past. The Romans compared Mars to Thor and Odin to Mercury. It never mades fully sense, and that is because of course cultures, regions are epochs bring different variants to the table.

One of the Sacred Texts of the Golden Dawn, the LIBER LIBRAE, which I still hold in the highest regard, says:

"In true religion there is no sect, therefore take heed that thou blaspheme not the name by which another knoweth his God; for if thou do this thing in Jupiter thou wilt blaspheme יהוה and in Osiris יהשוה. Ask and ye shall have! Seek, and ye shall find! Knock, and it shall be opened unto you!"

You can read the worthy text btw here, where the Ordo Templis Orientis has a public library:
http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0030.html

I am on a personal level undecided. I assume there are True Principalities, and each True Diety must reflect such principles. How far they are the same, I cannot say. I can imagine "Saints" or "Prophets", as the Thelemitic wording would be, sort of embody a Divine idea, similar to an Avatar of a God. I had just recently stumbled upon a picture, where a statue of Hermes was standing in the middle of a Cathedral, actually even here in Berlin, the "Friedrichswerdersche Kirche", which often is used for exhibitions. And Hermes looked really well there, not misplaced at all. You can see it here on my FB site:
https://www.facebook.com/RomanReformist ... =3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/RomanReformist ... =3&theater

I could imagine, since the Churches here are selling Church-buildings, if we could acquire one, to dedicate it in a similar way, to allow a smoother transition. But since I can hardly afford my food, lol, these are for the time being mere dreams.

The Liber 777 goes along the lines of the 10 (11) Sephiroth of the kabbalistic Tree of Life, which has similarities to the Planet Spheres of ancient Greece, since each Sephirah is compared to a planet too. Let me look it up in my copy....

SEPHIRA - classic planet - Greek - Nordic - Christian

Kether - Primuum Mobile - Zeus - Wodan - God as Trinity
Chokmah - Zodiac/Neptune - Uranos - Vali - God Father
Binah - Saturn - Hera - Frigg - Shekhinah the Female Aspect of God
Daath - Uranus - Prometheus - Loki - Lucifer
Chesed - Jupiter - Kronos - Wodan - Michael the Radiant
Geburah - Mars - Ares - Tyr, Thor - Samael the Judge
Tiphareth - Sol - Apollo - Baldur - Jesus the Savior
Hod - Mercury - Hermes - Hermodr - Gabriel the Messenger
Netzach - Venus - Aphrodite - Freya - Raphael the Benevolent
Yesod - Luna - Diana - Sjöfn - Virgin Mary
Malkuth - Earth - Persephone - Jörda - Uriel the Angel of Earth

However, as you see it never really fits entirely, no matter how you juggle. There ARE aspects of similarity, but there are also some stark contrasts. Odin alone is SUCH a unique God unlike any other, for example. And then Apollo collects such a vast number of ideas in one. And dont get me started on sorting Angels and Archangels, there is such a vast different numbers of interpreting them!
Advice is judged by results, not by intentions.

- Cicero
Gaius Florius Aetius
Apollinis Sacerdos
Apollinis Sacerdos

Return to Cultus Deorum Romanorum